• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

OBC trip to Tibet - Wolves 1 Tibetan Gazelle 0 (1 Viewer)

just got back from fulfilling a birding dream - finally getting to the Tibetan plateau

my best birding experience by a mile

full report to follow ASAP with pix and hopefully a bit of film of some never before filmed species

highlights included
11 species of rosefinch incl Roborovski's!!!
all six species of snowfinch
all the gamebirds incl Brown Eared Pheasant, White Eared Pheasant, Severtzov's Grouse, the monal partridge etc
Relict Gull
Saunders's Gull
Chinese Egret
Henderson's Ground Jay
Hume's Groundpecker
all the redstarts incl Przewalski's
Tibetan Snowcock
Tibetan Lark
Mongolian Lark
Kozlov's Bunting
Koslov's Babax
Giant Laughingthrush
Sibe Rubythroat
Himalayan Rubythroat
Przewalski's Nuthatch
Chinese Nuthatch
Stolickzka's Tit-warbler
Crested Tit-warbler
Pallas's Sandgrouse
Black-necked Crane
lots of phylloscs incl Gansu Leaf Warber, Chinese Leaf Warber etc
Chinese Song Thrush
Long-tailed Thrush
Wallcreeper
Ibisbill

only dip was Tibetan Sandgrouse - score now OBC 1 Sandgrouse 2

maybe best though was the sight of four wolves chase and despatch a Gazelle - mindblowing. Plus a huge Lynx at close range.

combined with awesome scenery i just cxan't imagine it getting any better!!!

atb for now
Tim
off to italy Tues for some R and R and to catch up on some music
Ciao

The stuff dreams are made of Tim!!!

When you're back up to speed - fill in a few of the blanks, would you - seems like you glossed it over a little!

Enjoy your break in Italia - reckon you need a little pasta'n'opera ... ;)

Just one? dip - wow!!!

Regards,

Andy.

I ummed and ahhed about going on that trip for ages. Looks like I made the wrong choice!

Looking forward to seeing the full report Tim.

atb
Steve

Andrew Whitehouse said:
Koslov`s Babax - this is a bird I want to hear more about.

I reckon Tim's made that one up to see if anyone's paying attention...Stolickzka's Tit-warbler is another candidate ;)

roll on a field guide to the eastern palearctic so i can check

sounds like the trip of a lifetime

Last edited:
That seem like a great trip indeed! Many species that easily qualifies in the "mega" category. I really do need a visit to Tibet - what I wouldn't give to see a Kozlov's Bunting or a Giant Laughingthrush...

Seems you're quite lucky with the mammals, too. if I remember right you had an encounter with a Red Panda on your NE India trip and now you've seen Tibetan Gazelles chased by wolves!?!?!

Last edited:
And the lucky sod has seen Tiger on Sumatra! Your far to lucky some times Tim. Envious of your trip, you'll have to let us know when your back from some 'R&R' in Italy and tell us more about the trip. Glad to hear you saw the Brown-eared Pheasants, maybe next year I'll try for those!

Tibetan Babax -
http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?action=searchresult&Bird_ID=1561

Stolickzka's Tit-warbler -
http://www.orientalbirdimages.org/s...esult&Bird_ID=1838&Bird_Family_ID=&pagesize=1

Stunning birds! OBC missed you at the Birdfair Tim, don't think we did to bad in your absence though,

All the best

James

Sounds like an amazing trip Tim - I'd love to see some of those birds... and watching wolves hunt - wow. I have a feeling the full trip report if gonna be quite a read.

Thanks for the links James, that tit-warbler looks like a cracking little bird.

watcha James

very very fortunate with the mammals. Both Lynx and Wolves were chance encounters. Wolves are not too difficut there but seeing a kill is very rare. Brown Eared Pheasants were very tricky though. Most other stuff is very gettable with the exception of Tibetan Sandgrouse.

I had the advantage of being with Dave Showler though... he did the decent plates for the China guide and he's an amazing fled birder. He got me several birds.

It's an arduous trip though and pretty exhausting at times. The climb up for Roborovski's Rosefinch was particularly knackering. Still, food was great, even the lambs achilles tendons and the beer was about 15p for a 660 m bottle.

plus we HAD to see Koslov's Bunting as our mates rediscovered it in the 80s - missing that would have meant not being able to show our faces in the Fat Cat

we do have some excellent footage of many top species but until we get it sorted here's a few of my dodgy pix to give an impression. You may notice that the road has been totally wiped out in one pic - not the easiest place to get around! Birds are thru bins hand held. Anyone wanna id the raptor?

Attachments

• bf.JPG
    bf.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 278
  • bfkos.JPG
    bfkos.JPG
    95.7 KB · Views: 299
  • roadbf.JPG
    roadbf.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 242
  • vanbf.JPG
    vanbf.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 264
Last edited:
Tim Allwood said:
watcha James

very very fortunate with the mammals. Both Lynx and Wolves were chance encounters. Wolves are not too difficut there but seeing a kill is very rare. Brown Eared Pheasants were very tricky though. Most other stuff is very gettable with the exception of Tibetan Sandgrouse.

I had the advantage of being with Dave Showler though... he did the decent plates for the China guide and he's an amazing fled birder. He got me several birds.

It's an arduous trip though and pretty exhausting at times. The climb up for Roborovski's Rosefinch was particularly knackering. Still, food was great, even the lambs achilles tendons and the beer was about 15p for a 660 m bottle.

plus we HAD to see Koslov's Bunting as our mates rediscovered it in the 80s - missing that would have meant not being able to show our faces in the Fat Cat

we do have some excellent footage of many top species but until we get it sorted here's a few of my dodgy pix to give an impression. You may notice that the road has been totally wiped out in one pic - not the easiest place to get around! Birds are thru bins hand held. Anyone wanna id the raptor?
Tim wellcome back and reading about your trip to Tibet-i know it can be trying -the trip-i was in Leh(ladekah-the Indian side) many years ago,can be quite cold.Waiting to see all the birds that you saw and not forgeting the veido.Regards. :clap:

sounds good Tim. I've had 3 days of someone "telling" me about her adventures in Peru. I'm double jealous now!!

Good one Tim....waiting with bated breath for your report!!Especially the film!!

Thanks too for the warning re Peru....."Wass
that? Wassthat? Wassthat?" did eventually become "Which is that...***** or ********?" and then
"Thats ********"!!

(Will be posting some adventures later with a few pics...talons crossed!!)

Tim said off to italy Tues for some R and R and to catch up on some music

(Not being here for the exam results then Tim...dear, dear!!)

Still the rest will do you good much better prep for a new term....

Hi Tim,
Now a trip like that raises the jealousy index very very high ! take care ! ;)
I will take a pot-shot at your raptor - Saker ?
Look forward to a detailed report.
Cheers!
Sumit
Tim Allwood said:
watcha James

Hi Tim,

In view of your dip I would advise you not to look at the Surfbirds Rare Birds in Asia Gallery...

I won't attempt a guess at your raptor; I seem to remember the large falcon situation gets rather complicated in that part of the world.

Cheers,

Stuart

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back