• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Setting up a barrel bird bath (1 Viewer)

Neil_EvansUK

I am thinking of putting a larger water ornament in my garden, something such as the bottom of a wooden barrel.

Probably around 1ft deep. I want it filled to near the top. With the odd plant, but designed for the birds.

What would make a nice base ideal for the birds? Would something like small gravel stones within the water and larger stones coming above be good?

I'm not sure gravel is the best, but don't know what would be better. Also the thought of some form of water movement to slow down it freezing during the winter. Do the birds prefer a still pool.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Thanks

A foot deep is probably too deep for most birds. If you look at purpose-made bird baths, you'll see that they are generally 1/2 - 1 inch deep.

Movement, however, is highly attractive. A dripper rigged to drip into shallow water should be a magnet for them.

Could you make one side very shallow and put the plants in the other?

I have a still pool that I put a brick in for them to stand on. A couple inches of water is all I ever put in there. I have been told that water moving is very good for attracting birds and hope to add that feature myself this spring.

Beverlybaynes said:
A foot deep is probably too deep for most birds. If you look at purpose-made bird baths, you'll see that they are generally 1/2 - 1 inch deep.

Sorry, I didn't make that clear, I only plan to have about 1 inch of water in depth. But I want it filled quite high so the level is near the top the barrel.

Main concern is what would be the best thing for them to be standing on while near or in the pool. Idea of branch nearby, maybe some wood in the pool.

I liked the sound of a brick. The thought of the large stones/pebbles I thought would look nice but not sure if favourite with the small birds.

Thanks

Neil

Buy or make a propper bird bath (shallow bowl), nothing better than seeing them take baths and splashing about.

Deeper water they will drink from when perched on the edge or are able to stand within the feature.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back