• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

open office (1 Viewer)

erm.. what sort of advice are you looking for 6eor6e?

I've been using it for some time now and find it an excellent suite of programmes

D

Sorry I should have explained, I paid $11.95 to download it and when I went to open it to load I was warned that this file could contain virus and potential to harm computer made me stop and think. I really don't know anything about this at all, hadn't herd of better get some opinions and advise before going any further although probably damage already done but only need to use WORD at present. just asking is save and does the job ok ? Thank you

Yes, OpenOffice is safe to use.

It is in my personal opinion, the best open-source office suite there is. I've been using it on my linux box for some time now. I can remember reading that some antivirus programs (I believe McAfee was mentioned, but can't find the link to confirm right now) come up with a warning message when installing. This is what's normally referred to as a False positive, when it thinks there is an issue when there is not. This only really applies to the windows version of the software.

I am using it with Linux. It is fine.

It is free!!!

Also, Linux makes your computer practically invulnerable to viruses, spyware, trojans etc. In 6-odd years time I had no virus. All hackers target Windows.

Yeah, but sadly The Gimp is no match for photoshop, and CS3 doesn't run under Wine... so i need to have a windows box running as well as a linux box.

Thank you delia but as usual (bull at a gate) no wonder I manage to stuff up so often thanks again and congrates to BF admin on the site overhaul havent visited for a while its to addictive will post some pics soon.

Yeah, but sadly The Gimp is no match for photoshop, and CS3 doesn't run under Wine... so i need to have a windows box running as well as a linux box.

Have you tried running windows in vmware on yer Linux box?. Obviously a bit of a performance hit, but very convienient. And if it gets virused you delete it and use a fresh copy of your windows image....

When you're opening 20-30Mb files in photoshop, it takes long enough for them to transfer from camera raw as it is... vmware would take forever. Not very good when you need to touch up 30-40 photos most days.

Anyway, this is getting wholly off-topic, so i guess we either create a new thread or stop the discussion, really.

Don't get me wrong, though... i'm a big fan of linux and always will be. It's better and more stable than anything microsoft can produce, but at the same time, the lack of 3rd party support is it's downfall right now. Maybe that will change in the future. Now that Dell are offering Ubuntu installed on their machines, there might be more of an uptake.

Again, getting off-topic now, so dropping it.

When will Microsoft get their fingers out and make a patch for word so it can read oo files? Cheesed off with having to re-do every equation I write in oo when I convert it to a word file so the boss can read it.

Tony, can't you save 'em as RTF files? That's what I do when I want to use work documents - I use Word at work, OO at home.

Dunno if the "equation" aspect might be your stumbling block, of course...

Yep - it's equations that chew it all up. if i save as a .doc, then Word doesn't recognise all of the brackets, numbers, functions, etc, which means you have to type it up again in MS Equation Editor. I'm-a wondering if I can rip MSEE and somehow connect it up to open office writer...?

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back