• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ED-50 brilliant but a little dim with the 27x (1 Viewer)

DS 30X photos are attached. The rubber cover protects eyeglasses and is removed when using the Nikon adapter

Hmm...guess I was wrong about one detail in an above post--the removable rubber bit for the DS eyepiece doesn't have an eyecup (it isn't folded down in the pic, right?). Wonder why Nikon didn't include that in the design. My guess--they wanted to distinguish it from an "old fashioned" folding rubber eyecup eyepiece. Actually, I quite like the older eyepieces with the foldable cup. They're much slimmer (and thus compact) than the MC versions, they have the same optical formulas as the MC versions, and they're even (based on reflection colors) mostly if not entirely multicoated. The only MC eyepiece I own is the 25-75x MCII.

--AP

Hmm...guess I was wrong about one detail in an above post--the removable rubber bit for the DS eyepiece doesn't have an eyecup (it isn't folded down in the pic, right?). Wonder why Nikon didn't include that in the design. My guess--they wanted to distinguish it from an "old fashioned" folding rubber eyecup eyepiece. Actually, I quite like the older eyepieces with the foldable cup. They're much slimmer (and thus compact) than the MC versions, they have the same optical formulas as the MC versions, and they're even (based on reflection colors) mostly if not entirely multicoated. The only MC eyepiece I own is the 25-75x MCII.

--AP
AP,

You're correct: the rubber cover does not fold up/down. Interestingly, people never have a problem using the DS eyepiece, probably because the large diameter glass is so open and inviting.

John

Thanks Alexis and John, So, what is the reason there are far more MC EP's than DS EP's offered. Is it because there are more people viewing or making their own digiscoping adapters? ---- and is there such a thing as a DS Zoom?

Thanks Alexis and John, So, what is the reason there are far more MC EP's than DS EP's offered. Is it because there are more people viewing or making their own digiscoping adapters? ---- and is there such a thing as a DS Zoom?

it is because if your are using your scope mostly for digiscoping, DS eyepiece is ideal to eliminate vignetting if you are using it with the nikon digiscoping adapter example like FSB-6 use for coolpix P5100 together with the DS eyepiece.

and the DS eyepiece is a new eyepiece made by nikon dedicated for digiscoping. but those with the MC eyepiece still can use the FSB-6 adapter but u need another digital camera attachment then the FSB-2, 3 ,4 ,5 or 6.

so DS eyepiece attach with FSB adapter and the camera. MC eyepiece need more attachments hehehe ;)

more info from this website;

http://www.ave.nikon.co.jp/bi_e/products/nature_c.htm#2

by the way, im still waiting for adapter from srb-griturn so i can use it with my fuji f31d and nikon coolpix p5100 for digiscoping :)

Hi Horukuru! Thank you for answering my first question. What a coincidence because I also ordered a universal adapter (brand name Alpen) and guess what? I also ordered a shutter release adapter from the same company you ordered your adapter. GB right?

Do you know the answer to my 2nd question? "---- and is there such a thing as a DS Zoom?"

You may be wondering why I would order a universal adapter when I ordered the Nikon 8.1 photo package with an 8.1 coolpix 4 camera and a 30x EP. I ordered the adapter first and should have waited to see if it works well with my HP 927 but got impatient. However, hopefully I'll be able to use it along with the MC EP's as well. Right?

hehehe so far never heard about DS zoom eyepiece but there's a rumours about nikon coming with new fieldscope together with improved eyepiece for MC and probably DS zoom soon.

nikon has only 30x 50x and 70x DS eyepiece but i prefer 30x because of the wider FOV and brightness during normal viewing.

i'll stick with the 30x DS eyepiece for normal viewing then let say if i need to id birds especially raptors n waterbirds from the distance, i'll do digiscoping n zoom to max for record shots only. at least it helps me while leading birding group here :-O

i got this specifications from nikon singapore website hope it'll helps u to get your desire eyepiece hehehe :)

Wide DS Eyepiece Specifications designed specially for digiscoping

16x/24x/30x Wide DS 27x/40x/50x Wide DS 40x/60x/75x Wide DS

Magnification
With Fieldscope ED82 series 30x 50x 75x

Angular field of view (real)
With Fieldscope ED82 series 2.4° 1.4° 1°

Angular field of view (apparent) 72°
With Fieldscope ED82 series 42m 24m 17m

Exit pupil
With Fieldscope ED82 series 2.7mm 1.6mm 1.1mm

Relative brightness
with Fieldscope ED82 series 7.3 2.6 1.2

Eye relief 18.7mm 17.8mm 17mm

Weight 170g 180g 190g

Note:

These lenses cannot be attached to Fieldscope I series. For eye observation, use the rubber eyecup supplied.

The 27x MC and the 27x DS have the same specs regarding relative brightness but when I tried the 27x DS on a ED-50 I got the immediate impression that it is brighter than my 27x MC. I have not tried them side by side though. Could this be right?

Last edited:
I am not sure about the brightness of the 27x ds against the 27mc. There may be a difference in coating. If you wear eyeglasses, I suggest you try both eyepieces out. I found I could adjust the mc eyepiece shield(?) to the proper distance so I had the proper eye relief to easily view through the lens.

I have been so pleased with the combo of the ED 50 and the 27x eyepiece that I am not really tempted to buy a larger scope.

I also purchase a clear filter for the objective lens which I use when I am at the beach.

Mike

Does anyone know why we have a 20x MC but 16x DS lens for the ED50? I suspect they started with the ideal 30x digiscoping magnification for the DS on the ED82 and this became the rather odd 16x on the ED50.

Ron

Does anyone know why we have a 20x MC but 16x DS lens for the ED50? I suspect they started with the ideal 30x digiscoping magnification for the DS on the ED82 and this became the rather odd 16x on the ED50.

Ron

That's exactly it - the ED50 is newer than the ED82 and was designed to use the same eyepieces, though with less magnification [which makes sense, as the smaller 50mm objective couldn't realistically handle 75x, but would still be useful at 13x, unlike the 82mm - though a 13x82 would be a seriously bright image! ;) ]. Thus you get the 'odd' 13-40x, 16x, 27x, and so on. A 30x on the 50mm would be..... ::Tries to think and fails miserably:: ...57x or so on the 82mm? Maybe if enough people write to Nikon?

Received my Alpen digiscoping adapter today

[by the way, im still waiting for adapter from srb-griturn so i can use it with my fuji f31d and nikon coolpix p5100 for digiscoping :)[/QUOTE]

Received my Alpen digiscoping adapter today and got a chance to combine it with the Shutter cable release from GB and it works. Looks like an erector set though and I am sure it is not as convenient and compact as Nikon's digiscoping package which includes a coolpix and DS 16/30x EP. I was surprised that there is very little tunneling effect on my HP 927 digital camera, only a bit at low mag and then it disappears the moment I start the zoom on my camera. Honukuru, have you received your adapter yet?

[by the way, im still waiting for adapter from srb-griturn so i can use it with my fuji f31d and nikon coolpix p5100 for digiscoping :)

Received my Alpen digiscoping adapter today and got a chance to combine it with the Shutter cable release from GB and it works. Looks like an erector set though and I am sure it is not as convenient and compact as Nikon's digiscoping package which includes a coolpix and DS 16/30x EP. I was surprised that there is very little tunneling effect on my HP 927 digital camera, only a bit at low mag and then it disappears the moment I start the zoom on my camera. Honukuru, have you received your adapter yet?[/QUOTE]

not yet received email yesterday says that they'll post it this week means another few more weeks before it arrives !

what's the weight of your alpen adapter ? u like it ?

The Alpen adapter is too heavy. But it enables me supposedly to take photos with my MC eyepieces. I haven't figured out how to get a good photo yet. I like my Nikon 8.1 photo package weight wise from Cabellas but it came without the adapter ring. That and the shutter cable release were both missing from the box. They are now going to send another entire package just so I can get my ring and shutter release cable. Strange set up but they had the best price. My question is "what is the best technique for focusing while digiscoping with a P4 coolpix (2 1/2 " LCD screen). I seem to have a problem with my trifocal glasses. Any tips? I can never be sure I've focused correctly. When I do the photos are great. See my new avatar. I'm probably looking through the wrong part of my glasses.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back