• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Help on moth trap please (1 Viewer)

hampers

Hampers
I'm just starting mothing and have been given help and advice by a friend locally. He has also loaned me a small Heath trap with a 6w Antinic bulb. I live in an area where this type of bulb is my only option as I have no wish to disturb neighbours. It's out tonight and I will see what my catch is like.

I've been investigating trap availability with this type of bulb and there are 20w and 40w options available. I presume the higher the wattage the better chance of attracting moths.

My question is will the higher wattage generate a light source that would be visible, or disturbing, to neighbours. The trap would be behind a fence and surrounding properties would be at least 20m away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in anticipation.

Phil

I use a Skinner twin 30w actinic trap for similar reasons and haven't had any complaints (yet!) after nearly a year. It's definitely not as good as an MV (I've read that it catches about 60% of an MV trap) but I doubt I'd get away with an MV anyway, and it's better to have something than nothing - also, I suspect that if I caught much more I'd be overwhelmed with tricky IDs! Starting slowly may help with the learning curve.

I use a 15w actinic trap which is placed behind a bush at the end of the garden and doesn't seem to disturb the neighbours. If you get the weather forecast wrong, then rain is not a problem with this sort of trap.

As Mark says you may not quite get the same number of moths but I still get plenty of variety and have managed Portland Ribbon Wave and Small Marbled in my modest little trap.

And you may need that extra half-hour to id that tricky micro...

Dave W

Thanks for the responses. Think I may go for a 20w one and see how it goes. Hard enough id'ing the 40/50 moths I had, in the 6w one I have borrowed, this morning.

Regards

Phil

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back