• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Age-old Coopers vs Sharp-shinned hawk North Caroloina (1 Viewer)

ebwilderae

Had just a brief look at this bird that appeared intermediate in size. If did accipiter flaps once then glided the remaining 1/3rd mile out of view in an open area. Head projection suggested sharpie but I wonder if that is just the angle as the tail suggests more a Coopers.

Attachments

• coopers-sharpie2.jpg
    coopers-sharpie2.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 90
Sharp-shin, based on the apparent small size of the bird flying through the branches and short head projection.

Bob

I say Cooper's: long, rounded tail with noticeable white tip, and as Andy said, much more likely than Sharp-shin to be in North Carolina right now.

I say Cooper's: long, rounded tail with noticeable white tip, and as Andy said, much more likely than Sharp-shin to be in North Carolina right now.

Personally, I’d want more than a dorsal view of the tail as a basis for a positive ID. Dto for the argumentum ad ebird (“much more likely” etc).

Much appreciated! Good stuff all of it and yes it is a shaky picture I thought angle could well be mis-leading. I am curious re the eBird reference, indeed it shows just the one in Buncombe Co. When I look I get many more including the one that hit our feeder in 8/2010 https://ebird.org/map/shshaw?neg=tr...mr=on&bmo=8&emo=8&yr=last10&byr=2008&eyr=2018

Kratter, I would definitely be interested in sussing out the difference in our search results on eBird which I do not claim much expertise in using. Our collective thought was female sharpie vs male coop. I have always been interested in the pursuit of tail so would lean in with the Coopers crowd though since I do need the other for my year list....Just Kidding!

I thought Cooper's immediately. Structure, as mentioned by others, was the main thing I noticed. The warmer brown head is also better for Cooper's.

I gotta agree with fugl on this: one may suggest more likely this or that, but there is no way to be at all sure from this photo.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back