• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

What Smartphone apps are you using? (1 Viewer)

aeajr

I live just outside New York City, USA.

I got into birding in January 2016 along with my wife. We have 3 apps that we use on our smartphones all the time. We have a bunch of books and quick fold out guides but we use these apps more than anything else.

The Audubon App which helps with bird identification. This is like our electronic field guide.
http://www.audubon.org/news/audubon...e-and-complete-field-guide-app-north-american

Merlin - A bird identification app. I think this is North America only. Put in a few key points of information and it will come up with a list of likely birds along with photos, habitat and more, selected for your location.
http://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/

eBird - electronic observation list and central reporting of Observations to
https://ebird.org/about

I am sure there must be others but these are the three we use most.

What do you use?

- Merlin - isn't only North America - covers Europe as well (now)

- Birdwatchers Diary - I prefer this to the eBird app - I find it more comprehensive and easier to use. It has the facility to directly upload sightings to eBird, so you don't need both.

- Collins Bird Guide - but that's for Western Europe so not relevant to you! ...along with a number of other British specific apps...

If you do go ahead and purchase BW Diary you may find that the initial learning curve is a little steeper than you might have expected. Don't be daunted. Unusually for an app there's a very comprehensive manual which explains most things pretty well. I still found that it took a few months for me to be fully conversant with all its features, but once you're up to speed you'll probably find that it does everything you want and more besides...

If you do go ahead and purchase BW Diary you may find that the initial learning curve is a little steeper than you might have expected. Don't be daunted. Unusually for an app there's a very comprehensive manual which explains most things pretty well. I still found that it took a few months for me to be fully conversant with all its features, but once you're up to speed you'll probably find that it does everything you want and more besides...

Does it allow the track of your birding outing to be recorded and the length automatically determined?

Niels

e-bird also does this. Once i start a list is will track the time. If I am moving around it will track the distance traveled

Sorry, I should have been more complete: I use ebird and know what it does. I asked to see if the other software was able to do the same.

Niels

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back