• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swimming Grey Squirrel (1 Viewer)

JoanT

England
Last Friday at Whacker Quay Cornwall, near Plymouth Devon I was amazed to find a grey squirrel swimming across the channel from the wooded island to the mainland. For those that do not know the site it is an estuary with a small wooded island and the squirrel swam the equivalent of approximately 2-3 times the width of an average british canal.

I have never heard of Grey Sqirrels actively choosing to swim before

Joan

There was a news story a while ago about a grey which was watched by rather incredulous people on a Lakes ferry, swimming alongside, so it is possible.

All we need now is a Michael Phelps squirrel and Brownsea Island's reds will be down the proverbial pan!

There was a news story a while ago about a grey which was watched by rather incredulous people on a Lakes ferry, swimming alongside, so it is possible.

All we need now is a Michael Phelps squirrel and Brownsea Island's reds will be down the proverbial pan!

Colonel! Wash your mouth out!!! ;)

It was actually a red squirrel. The story is here.

Sadly we're seeing more greys invading the Ullswater area via Kirkstone Pass and even more tragically some have been found to be carrying the pox virus.

I stand corrected!

Anyway, I'm surprised at a red being anywhere near Ullswater: whenever I've been there all I've seen is greys.

I stand corrected!

Anyway, I'm surprised at a red being anywhere near Ullswater: whenever I've been there all I've seen is greys.

Glad to have put the story straight. The little critter went through a lot to get his picture in the paper! ;)

On a more serious note, the situation around Ullswater is getting progressively worse from what I heard today although a few of the bigger hotels have got involved and are allowing trapping of greys in their grounds now. Unfortunately sqirrel pox has recently been detected in some individuals.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back