• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

ID - distinguishing swans (1 Viewer)

AndrewHeath

也称为“赫安哲”
Please see the attached photo. Going by bill markings and slight neck length differences, I believe the left swan is a Tundra Swan (Cygnus columbianus) and the right swan is a Whooper Swan (Cygnus cygnus).

However, my field guides also suggest a Tundra Swan should have a "rounder head" and "gentler profile" (Brazil) and the body proportions apart from the necks are not obviously different (MacKinnon, Phillips).

What do you think?

Attachments

• _DSC3862.jpg
    _DSC3862.jpg
    832.5 KB · Views: 94
One of those that I would ask for opinions on myself. I have yet to tick off either myself but I believe you are correct. The bird on the left appears to have a slightly more rounded head and slightly smaller bill.

Of course since I am looking for them here, Tundra Swans made almost daily appearances on the Ebird rare birds sighting list at my favorite birding area back home in Kansas City, KS. for about six weeks in December and early January :C

Your IDs are correct ........ the way to tell them apart is to look at the amount of yellow on the bill & whether it projects below the nostrils!

Shane

One of those that I would ask for opinions on myself. I have yet to tick off either myself but I believe you are correct. The bird on the left appears to have a slightly more rounded head and slightly smaller bill.

Of course since I am looking for them here, Tundra Swans made almost daily appearances on the Ebird rare birds sighting list at my favorite birding area back home in Kansas City, KS. for about six weeks in December and early January :C

Come on up and see these, mate. They seem to be over-wintering at the Bird Island spillway. |:$|

Your IDs are correct ........ the way to tell them apart is to look at the amount of yellow on the bill & whether it projects below the nostrils!

Shane

Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back