• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Low brow Orlando (1 Viewer)

Andy Benson

Probably of limited interest to Florida residents, but for visiting birders with non-birding families to the most popular tourist destination in the world, I've compiled a couple of reports spanning three different times of year to show that all is not lost if you happen to find yourselves on a resort vacation, especially if you have never visited the states before.

https://sites.google.com/site/tg23birdininabox/orlando---low-brow-birding-high-class-birds

Thanks for posting this, Andy, we are off there for a few weeks next weekend. i have always meant to produce a series of Trip reports and hopefully this will inspire me to do so! Not the best time of year, summer, but hope to still pick up a few god sightings!

Interesting article. I live about 25 miles from Disney World and you really never know what you'll see there. Last winter I saw a flock of wild turkeys on one of the golf courses.

If you have a car and don't mind leaving the tourist spots, I highly recommend coming over to Lakeland to see the Circle B Reserve. Best seen early in the day and be sure to bring plenty of water.

http://www.swfwmd.state.fl.us/recreation/areas/circlebbarreserve.html

I'm going there tomorrow!

In Central Florida, I highly recommend Three Lakes WMA near Kenansville and Lake Kissimmee State Park.

Three Lakes WMA is a very reliable place for Red-cockaded Woodpecker, Brown-headed Nuthatch, and Bachman's Sparrow. Other birds of interest include Eastern Bluebird, Pine Warbler, Eastern Towhee, and Northern Bobwhite. Along the way, Crested Caracara, Bald Eagle, Sandhill Crane, and Wild Turkey are commonly seen out in the fields and perched on snags.

Lake Kissimmee State Park is also fantastic for Florida Scrub-Jay. In summer, Northern Parula, Yellow-throated Warbler, White-eyed Vireo, Summer Tanager, Yellow-billed Cuckoo, and Swallow-tailed Kite can be found. In winter, wintering sparrows such as Chipping and Savannah arrive in addition to Gray Catbirds, Tree Swallows, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets. Tufted Titmouse, Carolina Wren, Pileated Woodpecker, and Downy Woodpecker are resident.

Carlos

I've always found the House of the Mouse an interesting place to bird amidst the other joys. One evening, I came across a merlin in Downtown Disney on the roof at the rear of the toy store. Frontierland and Tom Sawyer Island also provides interesting opportunites for herons, ibis', and other birds.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back