• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

8x30bn year made ? (1 Viewer)

daveman

Hi,i have bought a pair of 8x32 bn and would like to know what year they were manufactured in,leica have not replied to my e-mail,i hope someone on BF can help,the bins are in immaculate condition and the view is superb,the serial number is 1528*** ,many thanks, David.

Hi ,that should be 8x32 bn

Hi Dave,

I think the 8x32 BN came out in the 1996-98 period. You might take a look at the Eagle Optics 1995 Catalog, which shows the earlier model called the Ultra. Leica owners would know more of the history than I do, but in its day the 8x32BN was considered the finest birding binocular. It is still a great binocular.

Ed

PS. Opps, got the 9s inverted to 6s. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Dave,

I think the 8x32 BN came out in the 1996-98 period. You might take a look at the Eagle Optics 1995 Catalog, which shows the earlier model Ultravid. Leica owners would know more of the history than I do, but in its day the 8x32BN was considered the finest birding binocular. It is still a great binocular.

Ed

PS. Opps, got the 9s inverted to 6s. ;)

That's pretty much right... I believe the BN version came out around 1997. I got my 8x32 BN in 2001, and the 8x32 BR to replace it in 2007.

Really, the only reason I went to the BR was its eyecups that twisted up (BA's and BN's would push down) and great objective covers.

The BN is still a GREAT binocular.

My list of serial numbers is not accurate after 1999.

The 32mm BN was, however, released in 2001.

Gary.

Last edited:
I have my 8x50 BN for about 13 years now. So I would say 1999-2000

Mike

Quite possible as the BN models were released in stages.

The 50mm models were released in 2000 - before the 32mm models which were in 2001.

Gary.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back