• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

When (1 Viewer)

Wimpy

Hi guys, we are planning a week in the Cape May area this spring. Our problem is which week? I know this is heavily dependant on our feathered friends, the weather etc., but any thoughts would be welcome.
Thanks in advance
Roger

The peak of migration in the mid-Atlantic is around the first week of May but any of the first few weeks of May can be good.

Different species come through at different times. There are some early migrants and some late. If it were me, and my goal was maximum species diversity, I would probably shoot for around May 15. First week of May would not be optimal for shorebirds, or species like Canada Warbler, Blackpoll Warbler, Wilson's Warbler, Tennessee Warbler, et al. And the earlier arriving breeding migrants will still be there.

Here's an eBird bar chart of Cape May county for reference:

https://ebird.org/barchart?byr=2013&eyr=2017&bmo=3&emo=5&r=US-NJ-009

Thanks Jim. I have used eBirds before and have even started to enter some data, I had never seen that reference page before, that's very helpful. Thanks again
Roger

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back