• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Self-Published Photo Book (1 Viewer)

I have been trying it out with Blurb. It is easy to design your own layout and upload photos.

I have just come back from Cairo where I met up with an Egyptian Ornithologist, Wildlife Photographer, Writer, Environmentalist. We have been friends on Facebook for years, and he follows the photos of the kestrels every year that nest opposite my apartment. It was his suggestion years ago to do a book, but I didn't have a clue where to start. Especially in Egypt!!

Anyhow, I have been working hard, and showed a draft to him, and he has given me lots of great advice.

We also spent a wonderful afternoon sitting overlooking the River Nile in the center of Cairo. You wouldn't believe the amount of birds he spotted in the middle of such a crazy busy city.

I will share photos in the gallery on here. Three coming now!

Self-published works are probably rare but not uncommon. People even publish conventional books (some of which resume years of research) using this method. Here are some examples:

The Lanner falcon by Giovanni Leonardi (published in 2015 and as an ebook in 2017).

The Last Flight of the Ancient Guide of Hajj by Gianluca Serra (published in 2017).

With so much stuff out there i honestly think you, or anybody, would struggle to sell many. Most of the birders i know now carry good DSLRs and / or top end bridge cameras. Birders are not particularly interested in paying for other peoples images but you might find a market amongst local non-birders or tourists. I still buy photographic guides but they are for the purposes of in-depth identification and ageing etc but best of luck and keep posting stuff:t:

Laurie -

Even in a small run for friends as a "coffee table book," self-publishing can yield nice results.

Where I work, we created the portfolio for our internal agency using professional tools (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop) and used Adorama to produce the printed books. They came out quite impressive as a hardbound book. We handed these out to potential clients.

If you want to *sell* books, I would recommend figuring out what company (or web site group) you'd distribute it with and work with that company about the logistics, format, and gotchas if you really want to make any money at it. There are a number of small companies doing just-in-time books with good reputations and followings, but I'm not involved in that industry to the degree to recommend anyone.

You also should realize, alot of people just view websites, mobile apps, and other online viewing these days...books are rapidly becoming passé. Not vanishing entirely, but less common in the face of mobile phones, pads, and ebook readers. Even I took the plunge and switched to a Kindle and plan to slowly replace my paperbacks with Kindle versions so I can free up space in my little townhome; most of my reading has no photos, so no loss there. :)

[Just noticed you're from Egypt...local tastes for online viewing vs. real books may vary. When selling the advice would be "What are your audience's habits?" But I agree with rollingthunder that it'd be a tough road to try to sell unless you think the tourist market will support it. Doing it for yourself and friends/family? I'd say enjoy the adventure and go for it!]

Last edited:
Thanks for this feedback. I agree, there are so many self-published books these days, it has to be something unique to attract any attention.

Having five years of photos of the kestrels activities right outside my window, watching the breeding, and then the chicks growing up each year, I have a special insight into their lives and wanted to have my own personal copy of a book with the best shots.

Searching the internet all I can find is one study of the kestrels in Egypt by students at the American University in Cairo who claim their study is the only one in Africa. They had a webcam in the nest in their campus. Mine is just a photo book study.

It is fun designing and working on the layout of the book. Quite a few residents here in El Gouna have expressed an interest in it. If they actually buy a copy when it is ready it would be wonderful.

It is lovely to see people's reaction when they look at the photos in the proof copy. Especially the ornithologist I met in Cairo. He grew up with kestrels in his village, so has a passion for them. He promised to write a forward for the book. He was particularly surprised by the variety of prey they catch.

It's a fun process so I am enjoying the journey.

Having said what i have said - you now have a niche aspect in that you have photographically recorded a single species. Careful sifting thru every aspect you have of the pair from courtship to egg-laying, feeding of the female then both parents of the young, variety of prey items and subsequent fledging would make a nice little book imo. If you can add other aspects such as hunting and display all the better. I would only use photos of your birds not other Kestrels in order to keep things pertinent.

I would aim at non-birding types and perhaps market it through local hotels?
Have a catchy title like Kestrels of Cairo or something and best of luck:t:

Laurie -

Having just Wiki’d your locale then ‘Lagoon Kestrels’ has to be in the running;)

I also note that it is rather upmarket - in that case i would say there is definately a market for a small well-put-together book c/w with supportive narrative...

It also looks a good area for general birding away from the Kestrels and around the wetland area for passage migrants and local breeders - everything needs water.

Is there habitat locally for Sooty Falcons? These are late breeders in September preying on migrating passerines heading South for the Winter.

Laurie:t:

Thanks for all this wonderful advice Laurie.

Checking eBird there is definitely sightings of Sooty Falcons in this area. I will keep an eye out!

Right now, I am changing the front and back cover, and cannot decide which photos to use!!!

Option 1:

5th July cover.jpg

Option 2:

Book cover last.jpg

Option 3:

Front and Back cover 3rd July 2019.jpg

Or a combination!! :eek!:

(Note the nest is right opposite my apartment, and the kestrels have zero interest in me and my super zoom lens everyday. Both the parents and the fledglings often land right above my head on the balcony.)

I like option 2, especially for the back photo. Slightly prefer the front photo of that option as well

Niels

I like option 2, especially for the back photo. Slightly prefer the front photo of that option as well

Niels

I tend towards option 2 as well, but you'd definitely have to move the bar code to the right, under the text there. No need to spoil the departing bird's fine picture. Bar codes do not have to be in the center. I have plenty of books where the bar code field is off center and at times right at the edge.

Thank you for your inputs.

I am now favoring this as the cover at the moment with Option 1. Option 2 is cropped and the quality is not as good.

Front Cover.jpg

The ornithologist from Cairo has sent me a lovely Foreward he has written for the book, and he refers to Ancient Egypt and the God Horus with the Falcon head.

This cover photo reminds me of Horus!

I have ordered another proof copy which hopefully will arrive here towards the end of the month.

At least the first proof copy is getting the Wow! response from those I show it to :t:

I am enjoying the journey of this first attempt at self-publishing a photo book! I think Horus will look good on my coffee table :king:

Thank you for your inputs.

I am now favoring this as the cover at the moment with Option 1. Option 2 is cropped and the quality is not as good.

View attachment 699265

The ornithologist from Cairo has sent me a lovely Foreward he has written for the book, and he refers to Ancient Egypt and the God Horus with the Falcon head.

I am enjoying the journey of this first attempt at self-publishing a photo book! I think Horus will look good on my coffee table :king:

From someone who has done a fair bit of proof-reading, I trust you meant 'Foreword'... Best wishes for the final product!
MJB

I did six months proof-reading, that was 47 years ago!! it never leaves you - i try not to obsess about it but still cannot resist informing Greengrocers of their spelling mistakes with regard to various vegetables and exotic fruits;)

I did six months proof-reading, that was 47 years ago!! it never leaves you - i try not to obsess about it but still cannot resist informing Greengrocers of their spelling mistakes with regard to various vegetables and exotic fruits;)

The ornithologist is not so good at writing in English and has asked me to edit his Foreword.

He has used the word 'passerine' a couple of times. I had to look it up. Is this a widely used word please or should I change it to small birds? He is referring to the kestrel's diet which takes advantage of the small birds migrating through Egypt.

In parts of America, they have solved the dilemma of how to spell 'banana'

They just call it ....... "Yellow curved fruit" :eek!: :-O :eat: ;) 3:)

Chosun :gh:

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back