• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Another Baghide thread! (1 Viewer)

Jaff

Registered Member
I think I'm going to be ordering a bag hide soon. Thing is I'm looking at the page in the link (unless anyone knows somewhere I can get similar stuff cheaper) and I was looking specifically at the mediumweight Advantage Leaf one.
http://www.warehouseexpress.com/?/binsandscopes/hides/baghides.html

My question is out of the ones on that page is the meduimweight the better all round option (reading on the other thread the only downside seems to be hotter in summer) and is advantage leaf the best option for camouflage. If I had to pick a lightweight one I reckon I like the look of the shadowgrass one (don't know why!).

I know it's the best option for in woods where I will use it most but I want one that can be used reasonably well in other habitats too. I suppose to put it bluntly I'm looking for the 'good in most situations' one.

Please forgive me if the answer is blatantly obvious. Does any of this make sense? 3:)
Jaff

Hi Jaff,
Same thing ,different tack.
Have you considered a large piece of "camo scrim" about 2m x 3m. You might be able able to use this either thrown over you whilst laying down, or sitting on a light weight folding seat (as used by anglers), or pegged between two trees/branches on a length of string/cord.
This folds up very small and is very light and portable. I think I got mine from either WHE or wildlife watching supplies.
regards I4ani.

I agree....I have not used a bag hide but I imagine you can get a bit warm in them. I use a bit of camo scrim when I feel I have the energy to cart it around on buses.

Thanks for the replies. I confess that your suggestions hadn't occured to me at all.

So it seems that you think it has more a universal appeal than a bag hide, is that fair to say?

Adrian, the warmth thing would be nice in winter though. ;)

Oh and we've already got some little stools and the like knocking about the place so no worries there.
Jaff

Hi Jaff,
Have a look at WHE in the photography section, under wildlife watching supplies, the bags and scrim are close to each other, this may help you decide, and prices may have some influence on your decision.
reards I4ani.

Hi Jaff,
Have a look at WHE in the photography section, under wildlife watching supplies, the bags and scrim are close to each other, this may help you decide, and prices may have some influence on your decision.
reards I4ani.

Cheers for that. I have been looking at them and I reckon my mind is made up.
Given that winter is over half-way through and spring and summer are on their way I'll go for the scrim for now so I don't cook (assuming we have a proper summer!). I can decide later in the year if I want a baghide for next winter and then I'll have summer and winter options.

Thanks for your help chaps. Oh and Adrian if you want to come down here with yours we can be scrim buddies! 3:)

Regards.
Jaff

Try ebay under the hunting section for the scrim much cheaper than WHE.think i paid under £20 for a peice inc postage from USA.Also see the same thing in shooting shops.Weighs less than 1LB

.Also see the same thing in shooting shops.Weighs less than 1LB

Oooh there's an idea. We don't have a local shop (bread, milk etc.) as such in the village but we do have a gunsmith! Yes this is a local village for local people and of course for gun-wielding nutters 3:) . I'll have to pop up the road and see if they have anything. There's also another one (bit bigger) not too far away that might have what I'm looking for.

I don't use Ebay and don't want the hassle of shipping so I'm happy paying a bit more on WHE. I was hoping for a reliable website or something in the UK.

Anyway, cheers. B :)
Jaff

Last edited:
Well I bit the bullet and got it from WHE, just went the quick and easy route. Went to the shop and they didn't quite have what I was after so I just thought oh sod it because it was delaying my camera purchase. Probably could have got a nearly identical bit of kit £50 cheaper somewhere but oh well.

Thank you for your time and patience everybody and we'll see how I get on when I have everything. Cheers.
Jaff

I got the 2 x 3m Avantage timber leaf scrim. Also got a Lenscoat for my 300mm but I asked them to deliver everything with the 40D (finance takes more time) to save on postage. End of the week optimistic, next Mon/Tue realistic. Like I said I still may yet get a baghide for next winter.

The dark side is engulfing my soul and my bank account!
Jaff

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back