• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nikon P5100 (1 Viewer)

Thanks, even pictures are not the best, now it seems ED82 + P5100 are perfectly matched.
Honestly, those pictures taken by ED82 and other DCs were not so satisfying myself in the past. With P5100 and further fine adjustments on the length of the adaptor to make the camera lens close to the eyepiece as much as possible, I think I got what I longingly hoped for.

Yes, my lost soul came back.
I second a saying from Chinese: Digiscoping is really Easy Come Tough Go.

Also one thing I am doing is to keep the shutter cable as long as the birds staying (actually they won't be long !). One is to get a good pose, one is to let the camera has a chance to repeatedly re-focus and refresh the exposure to cater any slightly changes in motion and sunlight. This really works for me, in a number of looked similar pictures I could seriously pick those with the best focus and stability particularly on the bird's face and eyes. :-O

Ray,
I'm glad your having fun with digiscoping again. Now lets hope the pollution goes away to give us some clean air.
Neil.

Hi Neil

I am looking to buy a compact camera to start digiscoping again. A few years ago I used a Coolpix 995. I would use it on a Swarovski 65 hd angled scope with 30x eyepiece. I would be interested to know which camera you consider to be the most suitable to use with this scope. Thanks in advance.

Roy

Hi Neil

I am looking to buy a compact camera to start digiscoping again. A few years ago I used a Coolpix 995. I would use it on a Swarovski 65 hd angled scope with 30x eyepiece. I would be interested to know which camera you consider to be the most suitable to use with this scope. Thanks in advance.

Roy

Roy,
I'm thinking of getting one of the newer cameras myself as I'm in Tokyo at the moment. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic LX3 or the Canon S90 (I'll use with the UCA adapter).
To use on the Swaro DCA adapter though the Nikon P5100 is the most flexible or the newer P6000. I like the P6000 because of it's ED lens and remote control. Raw is nice to have too , although only 1 shot at a time and slow. The AF on the Nikons is the most accurate of the cameras I've played with, especially in the Macro focus mode. You'll like the big , bright screens too. The best though is still the Nikon 8400 if you could find one second hand.
Neil.

Roy,
I'm thinking of getting one of the newer cameras myself as I'm in Tokyo at the moment. I'm leaning towards the Panasonic LX3 or the Canon S90 (I'll use with the UCA adapter).
To use on the Swaro DCA adapter though the Nikon P5100 is the most flexible or the newer P6000. I like the P6000 because of it's ED lens and remote control. Raw is nice to have too , although only 1 shot at a time and slow. The AF on the Nikons is the most accurate of the cameras I've played with, especially in the Macro focus mode. You'll like the big , bright screens too. The best though is still the Nikon 8400 if you could find one second hand.
Neil.

Thanks for your quick reply. Until I 'inherited' my wife's cast-off Canon dslr I have always used Nikon film and digital cameras mainly so I was interested in your remarks on the P6000. Although I was impressed with the image quality of the Panasonic FZ20 I used a few years ago I have read elsewhere that the Panasonic LX3 has problems with vignetting when used for digiscoping. I shall go to my local Jessops in a day or to and have a play around with the P6000 and S90.
Once again many thanks for your reply and also for your informative input to the BF forums.

Roy

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back