• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Bird Hide (1 Viewer)

Pop up bird hides, or blinds, are a great way to go but do have some limitations. I used one extensively while studying Acorn Woodpecker behavior in central coastal California. The pros: they are light and can easily be worn on your back (making them ideal for taking along to remote locations) and go up in seconds (you basically take them out of the bag and stake down the four corners). The cons: they can be easily ripped or torn and are expensive to purchase, the spring steel support loops can get bent and thus distort the shape of the tent, and they tend to be rather high and thus more easily seen by birds. If you can get your hands on one, I would definitely give it a try. Good luck!

I'm also looking for a hide but just one for the garden and money is an issue. What are all the names these hides come under? so I can do all the research thanks.

Also would it have to be camo? I will only use it for the garden and it would be next to the house wall

Last edited:
I'm also looking for a hide but just one for the garden and money is an issue. What are all the names these hides come under? so I can do all the research thanks.

Also would it have to be camo? I will only use it for the garden and it would be next to the house wall
I use a stealth gear two man chair hide for the garden - superb piece of kit and you do not need to peg it down. I use it on a stone patio. Link HERE.
You can also get a one man version but for the difference in price the two man is best as it gives you extra room for some of your gear.

I use a stealth gear two man chair hide for the garden - superb piece of kit and you do not need to peg it down. I use it on a stone patio. Link HERE.
You can also get a one man version but for the difference in price the two man is best as it gives you extra room for some of your gear.

Thanks but thats a little out of my budget at the moment,

would something like this work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOSSY-OAK-CAM...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item35ac800601

P.S terribly sorry to the original poster for raiding this thread

Thanks but thats a little out of my budget at the moment,

would something like this work?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MOSSY-OAK-CAM...Hunting_ShootingSports_ET&hash=item35ac800601

P.S terribly sorry to the original poster for raiding this thread

Dpends what you want it for really, anything that means the birds cant see you will work in as far as they'll come closer to you but if for example you want to photograph them then with a net like that you'd have to stick the camera(or bins if just watching) over the top of the net which makes it far more likely you'll spook the birds but with th pop up hides you're covered from all angles and just need to look through one of the holes.

You can of course use the net to construct a hide with a roof that would have the same effect.

Dpends what you want it for really, anything that means the birds cant see you will work in as far as they'll come closer to you but if for example you want to photograph them then with a net like that you'd have to stick the camera(or bins if just watching) over the top of the net which makes it far more likely you'll spook the birds but with th pop up hides you're covered from all angles and just need to look through one of the holes.

You can of course use the net to construct a hide with a roof that would have the same effect.

Shame really i was hoping to just take pictures right through it because, you know it has the weird see clearly through one side thing.

No worries about sharing this thread, all good information, I need a nice hide so I can have a little seat instead of standing for ages and ages. I look into all your ideas and thanks for them.

Are the birds you typically watch really that scary? In my experience, it usually goes this way: you hear some interesting birds or get aware of some movements at your reach, so you approach as carefully as possible. Even so, most of them leave before you can begin anything. But if you just stay there for some minutes, time to prepare your camera and further gear or just make some notes, you perceive things begin to get interesting again. As long as the shy guys notice you're not an actual hazard, they will most of the time just go back to their labors. It can well be that if you want to have a good picture of them you'll have to be really perseverant and shoot lots of photos, but I see this more like a challenge than a handicap.

Well, that's the kind of 'hide' I know.

I did have a look at that one and I wanted to know the dimensions but no reply from the seller unfortunately.

In my situation I suppose camouflage isn't really necessary (being by the house) I had a look at tents and the annoying thing is is that they are like 10cm to short. Would a tent do? and Does anyone know of a cheap place for tents? I have tried Argos

I did have a look at that one and I wanted to know the dimensions but no reply from the seller unfortunately.

In my situation I suppose camouflage isn't really necessary (being by the house) I had a look at tents and the annoying thing is is that they are like 10cm to short. Would a tent do? and Does anyone know of a cheap place for tents? I have tried Argos

Keep an eye on 'GO Outdoors' they have recently sold 2 person tents for about £20 inc camouflage. They get an awful review for overnight sleeping but for photographic use may be worthwhile. Go Outdoors seem to have sales on a regular basis.

Keep an eye on 'GO Outdoors' they have recently sold 2 person tents for about £20 inc camouflage. They get an awful review for overnight sleeping but for photographic use may be worthwhile. Go Outdoors seem to have sales on a regular basis.

What!? I went there once and every thing was so expensive, I hear constantly about their sales but I never knew the sales were good like that. I was thinking like when comet have a sale....

Thanks

I'd wondered about these: http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=...esult_group&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQzAMwAA

Has anyone any experience with them?

D

Yes they work very well I bought one at a camping show 40 dollars you can fit your tripod a chair easy if its nylon put tape where you cut windows in I painted bush and trees on mine have not got it now but it worked very well.

IMG_3970.jpg

Pat.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back