• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Tit,North West Greece (1 Viewer)

Can I throw a couple of thoughts in... the pale on the bill of Marsh Tit (palustris) should be on the upper mandible, this bird is showing some light reflection on the lower cutting edge instead. There are are also pale edges on the secondary wing feathers and the ear coverts are quite clean white all the way to the nape which are both features better for Willow Tit (montanus). Finally I wouldn't personally say the bib is particularly clean cut either ...
It may well be a Marsh Tit but for me I would like to see another image... or of course some information on any calls heard.

Cheers
Ian

Can I throw a couple of thoughts in... the pale on the bill of Marsh Tit (palustris) should be on the upper mandible, this bird is showing some light reflection on the lower cutting edge instead. There are are also pale edges on the secondary wing feathers and the ear coverts are quite clean white all the way to the nape which are both features better for Willow Tit (montanus). Finally I wouldn't personally say the bib is particularly clean cut either ...
It may well be a Marsh Tit but for me I would like to see another image... or of course some information on any calls heard.

Cheers
Ian

Agreed the bib isn't the neatest for a Marsh Tit, but certainly less splayed than most Willows. Don't personally agree this is a Willow's cheek though - looks standard Marsh. Am looking on a phone screen, but pale patch looks on upper bill to me.

Still think Marsh Tit.

He will probably post another shot showing a classic Willow now :)

In favour of Marsh Tit is the lower edge of the black cap which is straight and horizontal - not, apparently, tapering upwards toward the rear, which, I read somewhere, is the case with the Willow Tit (see attached)

Attachments

• mtwt.jpg
    mtwt.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 63
In favour of Marsh Tit is the lower edge of the black cap which is straight and horizontal - not, apparently, tapering upwards toward the rear, which, I read somewhere, is the case with the Willow Tit (see attached)

...maybe playing devil's advocate here, but I think your feature above linked to the OPs photo is actually another potential pro-Willow feature. The cap continues high to the nape even with the twisting of the head and it is very white on the right most ear coverts... Plus zoom in on a large monitor and check out where the light patch is on the bill, follow back from the tip of the bill where you can see the upper and lower mandible join, and note that the bill is slightly angled like the head...
As I have said it may well be just a Marsh Tit but there's a couple of things still not ticking the boxes for me 100%

Cheers
Ian

A feature not mentioned yet is the gradation of the tail. The outermost rectrices of Willow are obviously shorter (compare here) whereas in Marsh all rectrices are at about the same level (compare here). I think such a gradation should be visible in the op bird...? Therefore a Marsh Tit for me.

A feature not mentioned yet is the gradation of the tail. The outermost rectrices of Willow are obviously shorter (compare here) whereas in Marsh all rectrices are at about the same level (compare here). I think such a gradation should be visible in the op bird...? Therefore a Marsh Tit for me.

Seems a lot of wear in the tail (compare with this bird https://www.bto.org/birdtrends2010/wcrwilti.shtml) but can’t disagree :) Quite a bit of ‘bright’ light on this bird and of course, some of the ID features around the head and wings aren’t always 100% reliable...

Cheers
Ian

Last edited:
The cap seems to be glossy to me but I'm not sure

Again, I'll throw in the bright light which makes judgement of this difficult. I can also ask the OP when was the picture taken? If recent, are there any other pictures, did it call? If last summer for example then it could be a juvenile bird, where Marsh Tit does show whiter ear coverts and duller cap...

At the moment I'm still seeing features for both on this bird, and the evidence for Marsh Tit can be, I believe, be questioned if you look at the bill angle and tail wear. Yes it probably is Marsh Tit, and yes, I'm probably spending too much time on this, but I do live in an area where we are on the boundary of both so getting to grips is important :)

Cheers
Ian

As an aside for context, Marsh Tit is mapped as scarce but fairly widespread in NW Greece, while Willow Tit is very rare and restricted, only at high altitudes. Sombre Tit is more common, but this isn't that of course :t:

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back