• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Lighter weight 7x42's? (1 Viewer)

Barry:

I will give my nod to the Swarovski 7x42 Habicht, porro. At only 24 oz. it offers a very nice,
very bright and sharp view.

Chuck also mentioned it above, and I do not wear glasses, works very well. It makes the under
$1,000. budget mentioned.

Some of the others mentioned do not. The FOV is a bit narrow, but I suspect the brightest of any
available.

I always wanted a Habicht porro, and this one is very good. I am like many others on here, the 7X is not very popular, and this one is special in many ways.

Jerry

Well, thanks Jerry for the reminder, and recommendation. The only reason I dismissed it before is that some said the view was too narrow, and possibly tunnel like. I don't wear glasses either, so that might make the difference for the better, I'm not sure. If it is still tunnel like for non-eyeglass wearers, then I wouldn't like it.

Any other testers out there who don't wear glasses who can comment on this Habicht 7x42 Porro view? Thanks!

Barry:

If you do a search on the Swarovski subforum, there are threads about the 7x42 Habicht.

I sure hope you are considering pre owned, that is the way to your best value.

Good luck in your search.

Jerry

Well, thanks Jerry for the reminder, and recommendation. The only reason I dismissed it before is that some said the view was too narrow, and possibly tunnel like. I don't wear glasses either, so that might make the difference for the better, I'm not sure. If it is still tunnel like for non-eyeglass wearers, then I wouldn't like it.

Any other testers out there who don't wear glasses who can comment on this Habicht 7x42 Porro view? Thanks!

Barry,

I don't wear glasses...purchased a new Habicht 7X42 GA Porro (weight 27oz) 1.5 years ago. As Jerry stated, it is special. Superb crystalline view, razor sharp, superb color renditions, built to last a lifetime and waterproof. However, it's FOV (just 342ft) is narrow for a 7X and For Me, presents a tunnel vision type view. BTW, the GA stands for Green Armor...the eye cups on these provides me with a little more comfort and eye relief than the black leatherette standard issue eye cups!

Now (For Me, again), my Victory FL 7X42 has a 450ft FOV and presents a step-in picture window view that is very open and natural. HERE is my comparative review between these two 7X42's, hopefully it helps...!

Ted

Attachments

• 1-IMG_4008.JPG
    1-IMG_4008.JPG
    233.8 KB · Views: 87
Thanks guys, for the extra help, and Theo, thanks for linking that review you did before-very nice review!

Yes, I want that picture window view myself, not a tunnel view. I may just use the 6x32 I have now, or drag out the old 7x35 Porro when the leaves come back in the woods! Unless I get lucky and find something else one of these days. I think that will be the plan for the time being. Just enjoy being back in the woods again, with whatever I bring along!

PS All this thinking (on my part) and talk about gear is getting me a little weary from wear! Think I'll give it a rest for now, but I do appreciate all the help. It will be put to good use one day no doubt.

Last edited:
Barry,

GA stands for Green Armor..

Ted

Oh Ted, if only life were that simple. GA stands for Gummi Armierung which means Rubber Armour in German, hence its use by Zeiss for the Dialyt 10x40 B GA T* with black armour that I used to have. Sorry to be a besserwisser which I think is German for smart alec.

Lee

Oh Ted, if only life were that simple. GA stands for Gummi Armierung which means Rubber Armour in German, hence its use by Zeiss for the Dialyt 10x40 B GA T* with black armour that I used to have. Sorry to be a besserwisser which I think is German for smart alec.

Lee

It is simple, Lee...look at the picture...GREEN ARMOR...See! 8-P :-O

Gummi Armierung, huh...Thanks for the linguistics lesson...been known to be a "besserwisser" myself at times, hehe! :cat: 3:) B :)

Ted

It is simple, Lee...look at the picture...GREEN ARMOR...See! 8-P :-O

Gummi Armierung, huh...Thanks for the linguistics lesson...been known to be a "besserwisser" myself at times, hehe! :cat: 3:) B :)

Ted

You are most welcome. I used to work for a Swedish company in the rubber seals business and the word for rubber is the same in Swedish: Gummi. From which much must come a very old-fashioned name in the UK for rubber boots: gum boots, which used to puzzle me as a lad.

Lee

You are most welcome. I used to work for a Swedish company in the rubber seals business and the word for rubber is the same in Swedish: Gummi. From which much must come a very old-fashioned name in the UK for rubber boots: gum boots, which used to puzzle me as a lad.

Lee

When we go birding in the marsh\swap here, our "Cajun Reeboks" are a must (aka:stylish white rubber boots)! They go well with the Habicht "GA"!! :-O

When we go birding in the marsh\swap here, our "Cajun Reeboks" are a must (aka:stylish white rubber boots)! They go well with the Habicht "GA"!! :-O

These Le Chameau rubber boots with Vibram hiking boot soles and fitted by us with carbon-fibre foot-pad inserts are the best we have ever had. And believe me when you are stalking otters from a boggy Scottish island coast, you need rubber boots.
And they would be a better match for your GA :-O

Lee

Attachments

• country_vibram_small_low_res.jpg
    country_vibram_small_low_res.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 23
I don't wear glasses...purchased a new Habicht 7X42 GA Porro (weight 27oz) 1.5 years ago. As Jerry stated, it is special. Superb crystalline view, razor sharp, superb color renditions, built to last a lifetime and waterproof. However, it's FOV (just 342ft) is narrow for a 7X and For Me, presents a tunnel vision type view.

The optical quality of the 7x42 is superb. And the 7x42 is pretty light compared to almost all modern roofs that seem to have put on quite a lot of weight over the past few years. A sign of the times, perhaps ... ;) If you can live the with small weight of view, the Habicht is an amazing binocular, especially if you want to (or need to) keep down the weight.

...the eye cups on these provides me with a little more comfort and eye relief than the black leatherette standard issue eye cups!

That's why I use the green eyecups of the GA version on both my 7x42 and my 10x40 Habicht. It looks a bit funny, but the (slightly larger) eyecups of the GA work a lot better than the small eye cups of the leatherette Habichts. The small eyecups are pretty horrible IMO.

Hermann

GA stands for Gummi Armierung which means Rubber Armour in German, hence its use by Zeiss for the Dialyt 10x40 B GA T* with black armour that I used to have.

A quick comment on the green rubber armour of the Habicht 7x42 and 10x40: It's just about the best armour I've come across in binoculars for a very long time. It's better than the (black) rubber armour of the old Zeiss dialyts, and it's also better than the (green) rubber armour of the Hensoldt Fero-D military binoculars. Quite amazing stuff, really.

Hermann

That's why I use the green eyecups of the GA version on both my 7x42 and my 10x40 Habicht. It looks a bit funny, but the (slightly larger) eyecups of the GA work a lot better than the small eye cups of the leatherette Habichts. The small eyecups are pretty horrible IMO.

Hermann

I understand, and agree! ;)

Attachments

• 9-Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W.JPG
    9-Swarovski Habicht 8x30 W.JPG
    346.8 KB · Views: 47

Lee

Guma (pronounced gooma) is also Bulgarian for rubber, the plural gumi becoming the word for tyres! From another vseznaiko (Bulgarian for smart Alec)!

Chris

Well, that didn't take long! I stopped actively trying to decide on one, but one came looking for me on a saved Search on Ebay, and bingo, they're mine now! I actually did find a used Zeiss FL 7x42 in 99% condition (only flaw-brown rings around the objectives from the rubber covers). Thank you all for your help!

I love them! It didn't take me long to know they were what I wanted-they met everything I hoped for, and probably more. Can't wait to try them in the woods this year too-thanks to Chuck for that tip on 7x42's. I had them out yesterday for the first time (only got them 2 days ago), everything I saw looked great through them, and the form and function as well-ergonomic and ease of focus, etc, all good. The ONLY thing I can be picky about is the armor, which feels a little slippery in hand, though no doubt they are easier to clean than the ones that are more rubber like in composition. I'm over it already, as the ergonomics are good for my hands and they won't stess my hands/wrists like some heavier ones might have! ; ) The straps are on, and they are here to stay!

Thanks all!

Well, that didn't take long! I stopped actively trying to decide on one, but one came looking for me on a saved Search on Ebay, and bingo, they're mine now! I actually did find a used Zeiss FL 7x42 in 99% condition (only flaw-brown rings around the objectives from the rubber covers). Thank you all for your help!

I love them! It didn't take me long to know they were what I wanted-they met everything I hoped for, and probably more. Can't wait to try them in the woods this year too-thanks to Chuck for that tip on 7x42's. I had them out yesterday for the first time (only got them 2 days ago), everything I saw looked great through them, and the form and function as well-ergonomic and ease of focus, etc, all good. The ONLY thing I can be picky about is the armor, which feels a little slippery in hand, though no doubt they are easier to clean than the ones that are more rubber like in composition. I'm over it already, as the ergonomics are good for my hands and they won't stess my hands/wrists like some heavier ones might have! ; ) The straps are on, and they are here to stay!

Thanks all!

Barry,

Congrats on the new glass (new to you)! Two years ago I was in the same boat, or maybe it was a pirogue...whatever. Picked up a Zeiss 2010 7X42 T*FL that was 100% superb condition, except no ocular covers, no objective covers, no carry strap and no case...but a call to Zeiss took care of that real quick! Believe I also have Chuck to thank for them, as he had highly recommended these 7X! |:d|

Ergonomics, handling and build are certainly among the best I've ever tried. Optics are excellent, such an easy viewing and quick natural 450ft FOV acquisition, with a good 75% sweet spot range of center field focus. Colors are very natural, but I do find a "very slight" favor in the blue\green spectrum...probably just my eyes. With a 6mm EP, these stay bright in low light and make the view very comfortable and relaxing. Believe you'll also enjoy these optics!! :t:

Ted

Attachments

• Zeiss Victory 7X42 T FL.JPG
    Zeiss Victory 7X42 T FL.JPG
    223.8 KB · Views: 43
Hi Ted, yes, no doubt I will enjoy these along the way, and it was very immediate that it happened that they proved themselves! I thank you also for your great input on these, and it also helped me make my descision of buying used on Ebay. No regrets at all. They are what they are-amazingly good binoculars whatever the price paid. Form and function, and delivery of their promise as top optics from their inception until now, well after they are no longer available new.

Sometimes it pays to stay with known producers of top products, and it seems this time is one time when they may still compete with what is available today, even if it is not a new product nor have the latest technology. In the words of one younger generation; they rock! That's not hard to understand when you look through them yourself.

As I said in another thread here, I also enjoyed comparing the Tract Toric I to my FL's, and they also deliver a great veiw. So sure, some modern stuff is excellent too, but unfortunately not many in 7x42 around for choices!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back