• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony NEX5 for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

ISO 1600 1/250sec, f/5.6 burst mode.
So far so good. Can not get sharp pics below 1/60sec...the shutter induces too much vibration.
Used a Rokkor 28 f/2.8. I can increase manually the f number up to f8 without lossing any speed.

Attachments

• cardinal1s.jpg
    cardinal1s.jpg
    229.6 KB · Views: 415
I can increase manually the f number up to f8 without lossing any speed.

That is because the aperture of the camera lens is practically irrelevant. You are working with the SYSTEM Aperture F=fl/A, where fl=(scope magnification x camera lens focal length) and A=scope aperture.

For example, System Aperture F for an 80mm scope using a 30x eyepiece and a fl=28mm camera lens is (30 x 28)/80 = F10.5. Unless you close the camera lens aperture smaller than F11, there should be no affect on shutter speed to maintain exposure.

Good shots with the Rokkor.... Is digiscoping now getting to the point where we pull away from the smaller cameras such as the S90 Canon etc...and getting more into the Nex with Lens? If so, this is quite an investment in itself but I must admit the shots shared with the Rokkor 28mm and Nex are super sharp.

I love the burst speed of 6-7fps. That is what seriously lacks in my opinion from the point and shoots.

The negative of the Nex and lens...is price.

Also in reference to a Swaro scope...you have to use the UCA and not the DCB, right?

each type of camera has its pros and cons. I love the simplicity of PS cameras and when the light is low and the shutter speed is <1/50sec, I use a sony W130. The good thing is that now we have options...lots of options.
I have no idea what UCA or DCB refer to. I attach the camera lens with a 49 to 43mm step ring to the thread of the pentax XW eyepiece.

Last edited:
mmdnje
Which adapter you use with these lens? The camera still autofocus?

Neil
Did you tested this camera with the Swaro DSLR adapter?

I always use the manual mode of PS cameras....I can focus initially solely thru the scope as I spot the bird...I swing down the camera using a DCB adapter and since I am on manual mode, I refocus again using the magnifier... words well, jim

HI David. My setup is camera>fotodiox rokkor to nex adapter>rokkor lens>49 to 43 step ring>pentax XW20 (with 43mm thread)>scope.
I use manual focus. The aperture can be changed on the lens itself, and I usually leave it at 5.6. If needed I use the Manual focusing enlarging function the provides very accurate focusing, but I'm finding that is tis usually not necessary.
JOse

each type of camera has its pros and cons. I love the simplicity of PS cameras and when the light is low and the shutter speed is <1/50sec, I use a sony W130.

Mmdnje, First compliments for the beautiful shots. From what I read above the PS camera is more light sensitive in this set up. Is that because the sensor is a lot bigger on the NEX-5 and so needs more light? Thinking about it the more glass the lenses of the NEX have will not help behind the scope as the scope will be limiting in the amount of light. Is your Rokkor lens chosen with that in mind?

I got the Rokkor because I thought it will be cheap enough to try even if it did not work. Roughly, to achieve the similar speed obtained with the Point and Shoot camera at ISO100, I need to go to ISO 800 with NEX (and other dslr). I've tried a sony alpha and canon 350d before.

Could I ask a simple question please? Can I simply add a tube via a 49mm thread so I can plug on to my scope lens?

I can make the tube to suit.

Den

Den:
What? Your question is far too brief. Exactly what kind of scope do you have? A 1 1/4 focuser, a 1 1/2 inch focuser, Dob., refractor, folded optical Cat or Mak, etc.

What kind of photo mode do you wish to do, prime focus or A-focal (digiscope) ? I have done both and get much better results with A-focal. What kind of camera do you have?

No matter what you do, YOU must hand hold the camera in place to see if it is possible to get an image and to find out what spacings you need. No point in buying or fabricating something and then find out you need to extend the back focus of your scope, for example.

I digiscope the moon through a 10 inch Dob, birds through an 80ED Orion OTA, and snow crystals through a Lomo Plan microscope objective. Exactly the same FH1 camera and attached Baader eyepiece. Yes, we can help. Gene

Sorry Gene, I should have made it clear I was asking in relation to the Sony NEX5. I have since found that I can attach via a 49mm thread. The Tube I can make in any size or length I need.

Den

I now got a Sony NEX VG10 (same chip and mostly same software as NEX5). I also have a Nikon to NEX adapter (Novoflex). I tested this with the Swarovski STS 80HD and the Swarovski TLS-800 mm Digiscoping adapter with a Nikon T-adapter. There is no vignetting with this combination and it is sharper than my Nikon D200, time to upgrade that one! I wish though that the NEX cameras could be set to spot metering, a lot of background light influences the exposure.

I now found the spot metering mode in the setup (under brightness...) and this really makes a difference! I think I will go next week and buy a NEX5 (they are on sale here in Calgary right now), as the form factor is much better for digiscoping.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back