• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

10 x 42 FL owners comment thread (1 Viewer)

james holdsworth

Consulting Biologist
I'm interested in comments from owners of this particular model only. Specifically, I would like to hear from owners that have had these bins for enough time to be able to make a judgement on them.

What I would be interested in would be the following.......

-Sweet-spot, edge sharpness.......an issue?
-Field of view and focus speed
-ease of use, eye fatigue after extended use?
-build quality issues, if any
-satisfaction after a few months [years?] of ownership.

I have certainly gotten very mixed info regarding this model from friends that own it and would like to get a more widespread concensus. Thanks!

James,

I have owned 10x42 FLs for just over a year. They are used mainly in open country, when I am unwilling to take the scope, sometimes on a monopod. In woodland or in combination with the scope my 7x42 SLCs get priority.

Zeiss do not place a lot of emphasis on edge sharpness. There is some field curvature but also some astigmatism. However, the centre sharpness is excellent. The German magazine, Vögel, considered it unsurpassed by any bin they had tested. See this thread:- http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=180743

The field of view is typical for a 10x42, i.e. 110 m @ 1000 m and eye relief is just sufficient for me as a glasses wearer with moderate +ve correction. Focussing speed is fast - 150° from 5 m to infinity.

With large hands I find the bin very comfortable to use (the Leica Ultravid 10x42 HD was too small for me) and have no eye strain problems. I would expect Zeiss collimation to be well within tolerances.

There are two minor quality issues which can crop up on Victorys. The armouring on the barrels at the objective end can become detached and this has happened on mine, but it is still a tight friction fit and is not troublesome. I will probably get it fixed at some time and have had occasion to use Zeiss service in the past and been very satisfied.
The other problem is the light-absorbent coating (apparently over 99%) on the inside of the barrels, which is not very adherent. I noticed a black speck inside one barrel when I got mine home and had to return to the dealer to exchange them.
Many customers have been clamouring for magnesium housings and I have heard that Zeiss will probably comply on the next model. However, the composite with 60% glassfibre (a formulation with a low thermal coefficient of expansion) content is very impact resistant and apparently dearer than Mg alloy.

I am still very satisfied with my Victorys. Others might for various reasons prefer EDGs Swarovisions or Ultravid HDs.

John

Hi James,

I have and use a Zeiss FL 10x42 since 2004. This is a non-Locutec model, of course. I have used and use this binocular a lot! I sold a Leica BA 10x42 to buy the Zeiss. I never regret the change! The Leica appeared to be stronger-heavier. I will never know! Ideally I should keep both binoculars but I couldn`t...Anyway, optically, and for me having compared only my two examples, the FL is years ahead of the Leica BA. Period.
About your questions:
I have never had any issue about a small so-called sweet-spot or edge sharpness. Any. I couldn´t find any apreciable difference between the BA and the FL.
The field of view is a very good and wide field for a 10x binocular. Again, compared with the BA it is the same. The focus speed is perfect for me in the FL. I found the big focusing weel in the FL makes the focusing very easy and precise. Better, for me, than the focusing in the BA.
About ease of use and view: Fortunately both unites, the former BA and the present FL were and are colimated perfectly. And in the FL the resolution, colours, contrast and a lot less Colour aberrations make the view a real pleasure!!
As I told, the build quality, until now is good enough. Anyway the BA seemed to have more quality and stronger parts.
I have a compleate satisfaction on the Zeiss FL 10x42. And looking throught it, not at it, I have, without ANY doubt, more satisfaction with the Zeiss than with the Leica BA. I have not tried the Swarovski Swarovision, but I prefer the Zeiss FL to all the rest.

Best regards

PHA

I'm interested in comments from owners of this particular model only. Specifically, I would like to hear from owners that have had these bins for enough time to be able to make a judgement on them.

What I would be interested in would be the following.......

-Sweet-spot, edge sharpness.......an issue?
-Field of view and focus speed
-ease of use, eye fatigue after extended use?
-build quality issues, if any
-satisfaction after a few months [years?] of ownership.

I have certainly gotten very mixed info regarding this model from friends that own it and would like to get a more widespread concensus. Thanks!

I bought the 10x42 FL's through Birdforum 6 years ago.
I've used them extensively in different Countries and climates and they have always performed. Despite all the use, there are no signs of wear, so I would say build-quality is excellent.
I've yet to look through a binocular that gives me a better view, so would heartily endorse them.

I had them for about 18 months and used the daily all over New York City. To me thier only weakness was that the color was kind of unsaturated, like when you add a few percent of brightness in a photoshop filter, I like a richer color. HOWEVER, this also gave it excellent low light capability, it made a good night owl and controlled even the stray lights of streetlams and cars and all other city light pollution with ease. I found it comfartable to hold but I had the model before they were rubber armored, the rubber feels way better.

Nice and sharp, big appranet FOV circle for a 10x, great overall bin. My only issue was the lack of color saturation. But the 10x56 has solved that, that will be my next one.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back