• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Canon S95 for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Last week end I took over 100 pics of a Mountain Bluebird, submitted 2 to the gallery and have a third one here. After looking at them printed out in letter size I was again impressed so thought I submit the full pic reduced for the web and another cropped from the full image.

In a previous post I mentioned my DPP sharpening technique which was on a barn swallow with super fine feathers and the fineness slider to the left, to capture normal feather detail you can get better results with the fineness slider in the middle or right which is what was used here.

S95 with telephoto extended, Kowa 883, Kowa 21x EP, taken at about 30ft, RAW

Joe

Attachments

• IMG_2398crop.jpg
    IMG_2398crop.jpg
    329.9 KB · Views: 426
  • IMG_2398psBF.jpg
    IMG_2398psBF.jpg
    292.8 KB · Views: 368
These are excellent results with amazing detail rendering, well done. May I ask about the exposure data?

Tord,

It was a bright sunny day at about 5000 ft elev, wind varied from 5-10mph, enough so I was concerned. I went to the original RAW image and copied the exif file below:

Image Width - 1600
Image Length - 1200
Bit Per Sample - 8 8 8
Compression - 6 (JPG)
Image Description -
Model - Canon PowerShot S95
Orientation - Left bottom
StripByteCount - 364865
XResolution - 180
YResolution - 180
Resolution Unit - Inch
Date Time - 2011:06:03 16:37:54
Exposure Time - 1/500 seconds
FNumber - 4.90
ISO Speed Ratings - 100
Exif Version - 0230
Components Configuration - YCbCr
Compressed Bits / Pixel - 3 (bits/pixel)
Shutter Speed Value - 1/501 seconds
Aperture Value - F 4.91
Exposure Bias Value - 0.00
Max Aperture Value - F 4.91
Metering Mode - Center weighted ave.
Flash - Flash not fired
Focal Length - 22.50 mm
Color Space – sRGB
Exposure Mode - Auto
White Balance - Auto
Scene Capture Type - Standard
Macro mode - Macro
Self timer - Off
Quality - RAW
Flash mode - Not fired
Sequence mode - Continous
Focus mode - Single
Image size - Large
Easy shooting mode - Manual
Contrast - Normal
Saturation - Normal
Sharpness - Normal
Metering mode - Center weighted
Focus type - Close-Up
AF point selected - Manual AF point selection
Exposure mode - Av-priority
White Balance - Auto
Sequence number - 5
Subject Distance - 65
Image Type - IMG:High definition image
Firmware Version - Firmware Version 1.00
Sharpness (0D) - 0

I was a bit surprised when I copied it into a word doc, about 60 items so I erased many- guess RAW files are bigger.

Hope this helps, Joe

Tord,

If you turn on your s95 and go to settings and turn on only RAW you will see there are 3 options that can not be manipulated and size is one of them. The other 2 are Format and Vivid. I originally questioned size too but working in DPP I'm convinced (unless told otherwise) that the images are maxed out for resolution. A couple of other things I've been wanting to try is comparing image size before and after DPP or taking a RAW and a Highest res Jpeg and comparing.

There are several ways in the field I've had to adjust. I've eliminated history right after shot is taken and instead when there is no activity review and erase. Fun camera.

Joe

Another quick update, in this thread or another I've read complaints about only getting 200 or so pics and then a dead battery. Yesterday I was in the field for about 6 hours and got stuck on a Lark Sparrow taking multiple views, using continuous for longer than usual I noticed battery at half when I had taken 410 pics, most I had ever taken of a single bird.

I am assuming my longer battery life is a result of shooting only in RAW. When I get on the computer and convert to Jpeg I notice it takes several seconds per image to do so which if done in the camera must consume energy. So if you need jpegs for deciding which is best try batch processing later on your computer and then go to the RAW image to make the final.

The only inconvenience I've noticed is that when viewing images in the field they don't appear as sharp as I'd like but I know that DPP will optimize that.

Last edited:
Another quick update, in this thread or another I've read complaints about only getting 200 or so pics and then a dead battery. Yesterday I was in the field for about 6 hours and got stuck on a Lark Sparrow taking multiple views, using continuous for longer than usual I noticed battery at half when I had taken 410 pics, most I had ever taken of a single bird.

I am assuming my longer battery life is a result of shooting only in RAW. When I get on the computer and convert to Jpeg I notice it takes several seconds per image to do so which if done in the camera must consume energy. So if you need jpegs for deciding which is best try batch processing later on your computer and then go to the RAW image to make the final.

The only inconvenience I've noticed is that when viewing images in the field they don't appear as sharp as I'd like but I know that DPP will optimize that.
Hi Josef,

You are correct in that saving to JPEGs requires more from the CPU than saving as RAW. I will try to get figures / second opinion from a colleague.

Anyhow, I shoot in RAW myself and the highest figure I have managed to squeeze out of my S95 with fresh battery is in the order of 250-300 pics. When I started using it back in Feb with temperatures clearly below freezing point it was less than 200. The ambient temperature has a high impact on battery stamina. Also does the use cases, for instance timeout for power saving and screen shout off.

/Tord

I bought an unofficial (non branded) battery via the internet for my S95 for less than a tenner. Instead of the original's 1000mAh it is branded as 1500mAh and was bought specifically for its increased output. I can regularly get almost 400 shots (jpeg's) out of this battery and is the one i regularly use, the Canon one is there just as back up. I'd certainly recommend giving one a try.

I recently got one of these superb cameras. I'm really really impressed with the results I'm getting from hand holding it to my zeiss 65. I made a small centering device (same idea as the SRB ones) from a rattle cam lid.

If anyone wants to see some examples of the images I'm getting with it they are in the recent posts at http://yorkslister.blogspot.com/

Cheers
G

Garry those are some excellent shots, particularly given they were handheld to your scope. Really tempted now. Anyone know where's best to find this camera at the cheapest price?

Cheers,
Jamie.

Garry those are some excellent shots, particularly given they were handheld to your scope. Really tempted now. Anyone know where's best to find this camera at the cheapest price?

Cheers,
Jamie.

Got mine from Comet, they've discontinued stocking it and are selling them off. It was £279 about £30 cheaper than camera price busters were listing as cheapest

G

Cheers,
Jamie.

I bought Canon refurbished one on ebay the other week for £234 to replace my slowly dying Sony W70

Mark

Steve (Clifton),

I take it you've been using the S95 for a few months now. Can I ask if there's anything you miss about the F31fd (barring battery life) and if there are any situations where you're tempted to use it instead of the S95.

I'm still using the Fuji F30 and still like it but sometimes get frustrated with the AF failing to lock on and the long refresh time after taking 3 continuous shots. Would I notice an improvement in these with the S95? I mostly work at maximum zoom in fairly poor light.

Thanks,

David

Steve (Clifton),

I take it you've been using the S95 for a few months now. Can I ask if there's anything you miss about the F31fd (barring battery life) and if there are any situations where you're tempted to use it instead of the S95.

I'm still using the Fuji F30 and still like it but sometimes get frustrated with the AF failing to lock on and the long refresh time after taking 3 continuous shots. Would I notice an improvement in these with the S95? I mostly work at maximum zoom in fairly poor light.

Thanks,

David

Hi David, an interesting question.

Before I bought the S95, I think I read somewhere on BF that digital compacts had definitely moved on in the 4 years or so since the Fuji F30/31fd were introduced, such is the pace of technological development (I mainly use the F31, but also have an F30 as a 'spare'). Already being more than happy with the IQ and performance of the Fujis, I was really looking forward to seeing what the S95 could do.

If I'm honest, I was a little blown away at first by all the bells and whistles on the S95, and yes, some of them are very useful (most have already been covered in-depth on this thread, but more about them later). The images it produces, when viewed on its large hi-res screen, look superb, and I like the DSLR-like functionality of the camera too. The possibilities to customise the S95 make it very useable to more adventurous photographers, and of course it shoots RAW, which the Fujis can't. But does it take better pictures (once you get them on the computer)?

Well, I've done very little digiscoping recently, preferring to use a DSLR if possible, so digiscoping hasn't really been at the forefront of my mind, but having had a good look back at some of of my older pictures from the F31fd, I'm really starting to think the older cameras have the edge in pure IQ. Doesn't seem possible does it? and perhaps I'm not being objective about my own work, but you can make up your own mind as I've posted some examples from the F31fd below.

In addition to the pictures from the S95 already posted earlier in this thread, I'll add a few more recent ones, just for comparison.

I've tried to summarise some of the best/worst points of each camera below. This is not a comprehensive list, I just went with my gut feeling about each camera:

F31fd (and probably applies to the F30 too as they share the same sensor)
  • Produces very nice clean, noise-free images, even up to and including ISO 800, that crop and sharpen up surprisingly well for a 6.3mp camera
  • AF is generally accurate and quick, though at longer distances, or through heat haze/shimmer, it struggles (obviously). At shorter to middle distances the AF is generally reliable, though at times it misses constantly. A solution is to re-focus the scope then try again. Usually this works if it didn't the first time.
  • At extremely long range (60x zoom on scope, and full zoom on camera) it is clearly better at capturing distant detail than the S95 in my opinion. For very distant birds, usually taking a series of 10 or so shots produces at least one that is useable. This is for record shots only of course, but sometimes you 'need' that shot.
  • Is reasonably quick to refresh after a 3-shot burst. I just timed it at about 7-8 seconds before being ready to go again.
  • Very easy IMO to get very good, sharp, clean shots with minimal PP skills in free software like Picassa 3, assuming the subject is close to middle distance away

S95
  • In my opinion, although the camera is very useable at ISO 400 and 800, or even higher if needed, it produces noticeably more noise than the F31fd. Even shooting in RAW its images are still too noisy for me, and as my RAW processing skills don't yet extend to reducing noise effectively, I'm a little disappointed.
  • The AF at close range is very good/accurate, capturing plenty of subject detail, as does the F31fd, but as you zoom out it becomes much more likely to miss focus with the S95, producing soft images that don't crop well.
  • Refresh times are very quick after a 3-shot burst. I just tried it, in JPEG only, and it was ready to go again in about 3 seconds. This was with a cheap HP SD card in the camera. Having compared the write speed with a better quality Sandisk Extreme 20MB/s SDHC class 6 card, after a burst of about 10 shots in RAW & JPEG mode, the write speed was roughly double that of the cheaper card. Actually it was ready to go again after about 5 seconds, so a clear advantage here to the S95.
  • Shoots RAW, so if you have the necessary skills it is probably possible to get better results (sharper, cleaner, more natural colours)than I have, though i'm skeptical about this having spent a fair bit of time with some images trying different settings in Photoshop Elements 7.

Images below from the f31fd:
Eagle Owl-fairly distant-across a 'canyon' in Spain, so about 50-70 metres or so at a guess
Griffon Vulture-middle distance, about 20m or so
Purple Sand & T-B Crossbill-quite close, I think about 6-8 metres
Tree Pipit-about 10-15 metres

I think most/all were at ISO 400, although the Eagle Owl was at ISO 800. I generally crop to about half the original image size.

Attachments

• Extremadura 1, April, 2009 059.jpg
    Extremadura 1, April, 2009 059.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 291
  • Extremadura 1, April, 2009 424.jpg
    Extremadura 1, April, 2009 424.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 253
  • Purple Sand.jpg
    Purple Sand.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 302
  • Two-Barred Crossbill, Bilsdale.jpg
    Two-Barred Crossbill, Bilsdale.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 271
  • Tree Pipit DSCF2849.JPG
    Tree Pipit DSCF2849.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
An now a few recent (but not very) ones from the S95, make your own mind up...

All of these I think were in the 10-15 metres range, with the gull being a little further.
All cropped to approximatly half original size.

LEOwl-ISO 500
Redshanks-ISO 400
Herring Gull-ISO 320
Kentish Plover-ISO 160

Attachments

• DPP_000093.JPG
    DPP_000093.JPG
    124.7 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_2762.JPG
    IMG_2762.JPG
    146.1 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_3232.JPG
    IMG_3232.JPG
    93.3 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_4969.JPG
    IMG_4969.JPG
    183 KB · Views: 330
Last edited:
Thanks Steve, I appreciate that. I agree with all that you say about the Fujis and after what you've said about the S95 I can't help thinking that maybe the F30 is still the most suitable camera for my needs.

I did try the P6000 and although I agree it's brilliant at close range in good light I found that it hardly ever matched up to the F30 when used at or near full zoom. Sounds like the S95 is similar.

So, I've made a list of about 10 requirements for a replacement for the F30. The S95 covers around half of them but I think I'll wait and see what the next generation of cameras look like.

By the way, you've got some excellent photos there (from both cameras).

Thanks again,

David

I just purchased this camera about three weeks ago and so far really love it. I am in the process of making a new adapter so I can use it with my binoculars. I have used about 5 different cameras for digascoping with my binoculars and if I can get a viable adapter, I think this is going to be the best camera. I will share the adapter and resulting pictures soon.

Meanwhile, I am going to Hong Kong in two weeks and I can't find info on what adapters/transformer I might need to use the battery charger. I would expect folks here could help me? Thanks, Don

I just purchased this camera about three weeks ago and so far really love it. I am in the process of making a new adapter so I can use it with my binoculars. I have used about 5 different cameras for digascoping with my binoculars and if I can get a viable adapter, I think this is going to be the best camera. I will share the adapter and resulting pictures soon.

Meanwhile, I am going to Hong Kong in two weeks and I can't find info on what adapters/transformer I might need to use the battery charger. I would expect folks here could help me? Thanks, Don

We use English 3 pin square plugs in Hong Kong.
Neil

Hi - I am new to digiscoping (& scoping !) but have a swarovski atm 80 HD with a UCA adapter. Would this work with the S95?

I generally use DSLR & biggish lens (7D & 100-400mm +1.4tc) but noticed this year whilst on holiday with a friend the advantages of a good scope.

My 'compact' is a Canon G10 -but understand this isn't any good for digiscoping, so haven't tried it.

Apologies for the basic questions!

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back