• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Kowa Binoculars (1 Viewer)

Clandestine Bird

Hi,

I am thinking, why it's no birders using kowa binos. Or maybe I am wrong. Somebody are using kowa's binoculars.

I mean Genesis series or SV series.

I am looking that SV are cheapers. And Genesis serie are some expensive, but not so much than Leica, Swarowsky or Zeiss.

So, any comment about kowa binos?

Cheers

Manuel

In my opinion the Kowa Genesis XD44 is a candidate for the sharpest binoculars I've tried. The colour rendition I found particularly neutral. That may be one of it's problems. With the Swarovski EL SV or the Nikon EDG for example, colours can seem brighter than natural, more vibrant which many like. If you also consider it's weight and FOV it perhaps it doesn't get the credit it possibly deserves. An excellent binocular in my opinion.

David

Hey Many Thanks,

I am thinking that kowa could be doing something really great with more accessible binos and their brand good quality. I use Kowa Scope for research-guiding and digiscoping and it's great, really great. My old binos are Bushnell (they are dying) so maybe kowa binos could be the best replacement: quality+good price.

cheers

Manuel

I tried the Kowa Genesis 8x33 and thought it was absolutely fabulous. It also is very highly rated on Allbinos.

I think the problem is a combination of (1) awareness and (2) price point. Kowa -- strangely considering how popular their scopes are -- just doesn't come to a lot of birders minds when thinking about binocular brands.

Second, they tend to be at awkward price points. The BD series is supposedly quite good optically but they are a bit pricey for the "mid range" now that there are so many great options from companies like Zen-Ray and Vortex. Why would I pay $600 for a Kowa BD with a narrow FOV and no ED glass when I could get a Zen-Ray ED3 or Vortex Viper HD for less?

Meanwhile, the Genesis models are near alpha optically, but one you are paying well over $1,000 I think most people go for the "safe" choices of the alpha brands. Again, if you are about to pay $1,200 for a Genesis 8x33, you could probably find a used Swaro EL 8x32 or a demo Zeiss 8x32 FL for about the same money.

I also notice some weird specs that may be a turn-off to birders. For example, the larger 44mm Genesis models are very heavy (33.5oz for the 8.5x44), and the well regarded entry-level SV models have a very narrow FOV and poor close focus in the 42mm format.

I think, bottom line, is that they haven't found a "market position" that allows them to gain prominence in the crowded field of birding bins...

I recently bought the Kowa Genesis 10.5 x 44. Previously I had used a Leica 8x32 BN which I had purchased in 1992. I have used 2 different Kowa spotting scopes, a TSN-2 that I bought in 1992 and a TSN-883 that I bought in 2008. With the relatively new 30x eyepiece the TSN-2 is still a very good scope even though it doesn't have an HD (Fluoride) lens, I lent it to my ex-wife after I bought the 883 which is a superb scope. In view of this when I decided to buy a new binocular I went for the Kowa without hesitation. I had decided to go for 10x because I thought I had been missing on distant birds and canopy birds with the 8x. 10x binos are more sensitive to vibration because of the higher magnification and tend to have very shallow depth of field. The Kowa binos I bought have a slightly smaller field of view than other big names in the same category but have shorter close focusing than the same competition. As Eitanaltman mentioned they are heavier than comparable binoculars. They have excellent ergonomics and a large, smooth but pleasantly firm focus knob. The image quality is excellent in my opinion but I have not compared it with other binos in the same price bracket, I happen to like the neutral colors produced by Kowa's Prominar lens. Its heavier weight combined with the excellent ergonomics makes then easier for me to use than a lighter binocular because I seem to be able to hold them steadier. I have been using a shoulder harness for my binocular for a long time and I think with heavy binos this is a must. Besides a neoprene strap those binos also come with a shoulder harness. I think they are excellent binoculars at a friendlier price than other excellent 10x binoculars in the market. I have used mine for about 3 weeks now, which include 4 days birding in southern Brazil during a recent business trip and, I have used them several times here in Florida. I am very, very much pleased with them.

Hi dacol,

Thanks for your comments. I got since 2009 the TSN-881 Scope and it's great. For digiscoping it's great. Really good scope.

Now, binoculars, I was following discussions about binos. The "alphas" and the "betas". So Kowa it is not mentioned in "alphas". I just put kowa genesis in "alphas" for his price.

So, in my search I found Vortex, and comments about this brand. Now I want to try vortex viper HD 10x42. Quality and price.

Maybe Kowa can go, for a challenge in the "betas" arena, and build an accessible binocular for 500 or 600 usd.

At this time I just saving money to buy that Vortex Viper HD 10X42.

Thanks,

Manuel

www.clandestinebird.com

So, in my search I found Vortex, and comments about this brand. Now I want to try vortex viper HD 10x42. Quality and price. At this time I just saving money to buy that Vortex Viper HD 10X42.

Seems like a very good choice Manuel! We are fortunate to live at a time where there are so many good choices for binoculars and other birding equipment.

Hello all:
I have tried several of the Kowa BD and the Genesis models.
The 8x25 BD's are very nice and I have had several get permanently borrowed.
The 8x33 are bit heavy, a little pricey and the focusing wheel on mine was a cheap, stamped plastic totally out of character for the price, optics are good, I now use them as range glasses.
When you can find the Zeiss Victory 8x32's used in excellent condition for about $250 to $300 more it gets hard to justify paying the tab for the Genesis 8x33 with a cheap focusing wheel.
The larger Genesis models just don't seem to offer anything that Meopta and Docter are already doing a bit better for the same money or even less..two mm larger lens are not worth extra weight and size.
I don't like Steiner's much but they compete and out market the Kowa's.
Art

Thanks,

That means: I must have to go for Vortex Viper HD. I always prefer 42 mm.

cheers

Have you tried the Zeiss Conquest HD binoculars. It is a fabulous binoculars. My only issue with Viper is that their FOV is narrow comparing to similar products. At that price range, you probably want to consider ZenRay PRIME HD binoculars. I also agree with typo that Genesis is an excellent binoculars. But for over $1K, it has to face the competition from the other big 3 European names

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back