• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Good flashlight for spotting (1 Viewer)

RonW

I'm looking to buy a flashlight for spotting animals at night (and some general use when required). I need it to be of a reasonable size so it can fit in my camera bag, so nothing really wide or heavy.

So far a LED Lenser P7 or P14 seems the best option and easily bought here in Europe. But maybe someone here has a better option?

Thanks

I've got one of their headlights (the rechargeable version of the H7) and am very happy with it. It's possible to dim the beam as well as to focus it. I prefer a headlight over a torch because it leaves both hands free. On a night walk on holiday in India I got a bunch of people asking me about it, so I'm not the only one who's impressed with it.

Fairly light-weight, rechargeable via usb cable (so doesn't need extra charger), reasonably solid for what it is.

Andrea

Last edited:
I own a headlight (H7) and the T7 flashlight. I would have no hesitation in recommending both. Excellent in terms of both performance and battery life. At the price and size I have been unable to find anything that comes close.

I have used the T7 for spotting, pretty effective, but expect you would get similar results from a head torch.

I doubt you will be disappointed.

T7 is also very compact when compared to the P14 and from what I have found on the web not much difference in performance.

Adam

I recommend Olight M3X Triton which is more expensive but gives much better light and better spotlighting.

Another happy Fenix owner - TK41. Amazing long-throwing beam, and runs off standard AA batteries (including rechargables).

Thanks for all the comments. That TK41 looks like an amazing flashlight, but looks to be a bit larger than I want in this case. The LD41 also looks good though, but costs 1.5 times the p7. Hmm, guess I need to see them and then decide is the Fenix is worth the extra money.

I've been happy with the little Luxeon Rebel 90.
It is compact(11 cm) and still effective, with about 200 lumens.
No strobe or such, just on/off and focus adjust for tight or wide beam.
Uses 2x 3Volt type CR123 batteries.
Sells for about $35 on Amazon.

I have the Led Lenser Police Tech torch bought for under £20 new, very bright good throw and good flood, bit smaller that the P7 and not quite as bright at 105 lumen's runs on AAA batteries and you get a spare set free.....it will light a wooded area up in the dead of night

Thanks for all the comments. That TK41 looks like an amazing flashlight, but looks to be a bit larger than I want in this case. The LD41 also looks good though, but costs 1.5 times the p7. Hmm, guess I need to see them and then decide is the Fenix is worth the extra money.

TK41 is a world class AA torch throwing out 800 lumins, I got mine direct from Fenix, I am sure you could search and get it £20 cheaper somewhere.
I saw this torch in spotlighting action while in Venezuela and was blown away with it... (I discretly put mine back in my pocket out of shame... ;)) descision was made there and then.... Get a Fenix

I would have preferred a Fenix but it came down to money. Fenix build quality is excellent and they do offer some technical advantages over LED Lenser, but for the price of TK-41 I purchased both a T7 and H7 headlamp with money to spare.

If you have the cash then Fenix is the way forward.

Enjoy whatever you buy!

If you would like a flashlight with an amazing throw, yet very compact and in a sturdy casing, you should go for a 'Deerelight Night Master', equipped with an aspherical lens. The torch is only 16 cm long. The only "negative" aspect is that you can´t change the beam width.

I was considering a Led Lenser M14 or a similar Fenix but a friend strongly adviced me to go for the Night Master and I have been extremely pleased with this torch thus far.

Ordered mine directly from www.dereelight.com at a very reasonable price.

Regards // Jonas

gysytequ.jpg

I bought a Cree xml t6 1000lm for less than £30. Its a perfect fit under my bins. Had to wait 3 weeks as it was shipped from China.

The beam width matches the fov and I can see clearly to 100m.

Check the Fenix line-up. I much prefer them over the LED Lenser.

Hermann

Me too. LL often/usually have poor regulation which means the brightness rapidly drops.

Other good brands include 4Sevens, Olight, Thrunite and Sunwayman, all better than LL. You can get a good idea of what is around by visting www.ledfiretorches.co.uk. Other good shops are available.

How much do you want to pay? I recommend sticking with rechargeable AA cells:

http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/torches-by-type.html?battery_type=61

I would say you want ~150-200 lumens (make sure they are Out The Front lumens i.e. actual brightness).

Another vote for Fenix ... I have the TK41

That would blind the wildlife. |:D| I have a Sunwayman M40A. I was recently running through a wood at night, pitch black, in the middle of nowhere, when two people in dark clothing popped out from behind a tree, unlit, and started shouting at me for blinding them. Pair of chumps. Probably too bright for the OP.

Thanks, that is a useful site. I would prefer to stick to AA, very easy to find more if needed. I'm looking to pay around € 60 euros or so, but a bit more is not a problem if the torch is worth it.

There is too much choice ;)

Me too. LL often/usually have poor regulation which means the brightness rapidly drops.

Other good brands include 4Sevens, Olight, Thrunite and Sunwayman, all better than LL. You can get a good idea of what is around by visting www.ledfiretorches.co.uk. Other good shops are available.

How much do you want to pay? I recommend sticking with rechargeable AA cells:

http://www.ledfiretorches.co.uk/torches-by-type.html?battery_type=61

I would say you want ~150-200 lumens (make sure they are Out The Front lumens i.e. actual brightness).

200 lumens is often good, but on fields and forest clearings it is too low - all you see is frustrating eyeshine and wonder what animal is behind. Also, for longer observation it is best using red filter, and then the light intensity drops below useful.

Most strong flashlights have several modes, one I am using now has 200 and 700 lumens.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back