• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Swarovski EL 10X32 (1 Viewer)

Jim Mountjoy

I have not seen much commentary about this version in these pages. I suspect that this is because they are not big sellers, but is this because of an assumption that this is a poor combination of magnification and objective size, or actual issues with this version's performance?

The reason for my interest is that we are shopping for an upgrade for my wife. She has had limited chances to look through Swarovskis in person, and although she has been generally impressed her reaction to a pair of 10X42s included some concern about weight, which is an issue for her generally, However, she has also expressed some frustration with 8X magnification. So, I am thinking that 32s might be best for her, but wondering if Swarovski's high transmission really makes a 10X32 combination a reasonable choice?

The reason for my interest is that we are shopping for an upgrade for my wife. She has had limited chances to look through Swarovskis in person, and although she has been generally impressed her reaction to a pair of 10X42s included some concern about weight, which is an issue for her generally, However, she has also expressed some frustration with 8X magnification. So, I am thinking that 32s might be best for her, but wondering if Swarovski's high transmission really makes a 10X32 combination a reasonable choice?

The main problem with 10x32s isn't so much the light transmission. In daylight there shouldn't be any problem with 10x32s being too dim or anything. The problem is rather the smallish exit pupil that makes using 10x32s somewhat more challenging than, say, 10x42s or 10x50s. In fact, I find exit pupils below ~4mm pretty uncomfortable, especially on windy days.

So, I think she really needs to try a decent pair of 10x32s herself to find out whether they work for her.

An alternative would be a pair of lighter 10x42 or 10x40s, like for instance the Nikon MHG 10x42 (below 700 gr.) or perhaps even a Leica Ultravid 10x42 that is also noticeably lighter than most other modern 10x42s.

If she finds a 10x32 would work for her, she might also want to try the Swarovski 10x30 CL, that's really light and may well be a good choice if keeping the weight down is of paramount importance to her.

Hermann

I think that the 10x32 is a very reasonable configuration, *especially* in a very good binocular such as the EL. Ours is my second-most commonly used binocular, mostly because I use 32mm binos more frequently than any other size. I certainly don’t worry about transmission, as even in overcast conditions, it is just fine for my eyes.

You might also consider the Leica Ultravid HD or HD+. Also very good, but with a footprint smaller than an EL. Less ER too, so be mindful of that.

Hello Jim,

I cannot comment on the Austrian 10x32 but I own a 10x32 Zeiss FL. I have had no difficulties with brightness in daylight. I do have trouble holding it steady either for long periods of time or for targets much above the horizon. I have troubles following birds in flight even though the Zeiss has a very reasonable apparent field of view for a 10x glass of 69º.

Happy bird watching,
Arthur Pinewood :hi:

I'm quite sure that more 10x32s would be sold if people stopped maligning them, or 10x itself. That's been my everyday binocular for nearly 17 years and it works very well for me, though of course you could want larger objectives in dim light. My own taste runs to Leica, quite different from the Swaro, so trying out both could be a good idea. Maybe even Zeiss, though the outer field has ugly aberrations in models I've seen.

I've used mine at dawn and dusk and think most assume that with the smaller exit pupil they are only useful on a sunny day. That would be farther from the truth, they work well even in relatively low light. The only concern you should worry about is holding the 10x versus 8x.

I love my Swarovski 10x32 and would encourage anyone interested to view them. They are wonderfully light and I have never experienced any issues using them. For open habitats they in my opinion rate well in comparison to the larger x42 but are so much lighter and easier on the arms and neck over a full day in the field. That said, if I know I’m going to be predominantly birding in woodland 8x32 are my binocular of choice.

I love my Swarovski 10x32 and would encourage anyone interested to view them. They are wonderfully light and I have never experienced any issues using them. For open habitats they in my opinion rate well in comparison to the larger x42 but are so much lighter and easier on the arms and neck over a full day in the field. That said, if I know I’m going to be predominantly birding in woodland 8x32 are my binocular of choice.

I concur 100%. I have had great enjoyment out of the 10x32's. Again for wooded areas I will take my 8x32's. Never experienced issues with low light. They are ultra comfortable and not obtrusive in any way.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back