• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Anatidae (1 Viewer)

Hi,

Didn't work for me either, but worked if I right clicked on the link and downloaded the file to my computer and then opened it in Acrobat Reader!

/Markus

well I got it to open the first time, but it refused to save (I prefer to print out Pdfs of papers)

2nd time wouldn't work at all

The headline - and indeed the only bit I understand - being:

"... our data support the hypothesis based on immunological
distances of slow rate of appearance of reproductive incompatibilities in waterfowls
compared with other vertebrates and the view that these birds may be like
frogs in having lost their interspecific hybridization potential more slowly than
mammals."

a

It has a tree showing Pink-eared Duck is an “odd goose” (yes I know it's more complicated than that!), which is enough enjoyment for me.

South American duck genera

Bulgarella, Sorenson, Peters, Wilson & McCracken, 2010. Phylogenetic relationships of Amazonetta, Speculanas, Lophonetta and Tachyeres: four morphologically divergent duck genera endemic to South America. J. Avian. Biol. 41: 186-199.
Abstract: We studied the phylogenetic relationships of four duck genera endemic to South America: Brazilian teal Amazonetta brasiliensis, spectacled duck Speculanas specularis, crested duck Lophonetta specularioides, and four species of steamer ducks Tachyerespatachonicus, T. leucocephalus, T. pteneres, T. brachypterus. Genetic divergence within and among species was compared using population-level sampling of the mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) control region, supplemented with three additional mtDNA genes and six independent nuclear loci from one individual of each species and a variety of outgroup taxa. The monophyly of these four morphologically divergent South American genera was strongly supported. Within this clade, Amazonetta and Speculanas were supported as sister species in all analyses, but different gene regions yielded conflicting or ambiguous results for Lophonetta and Tachyeres. This lack of resolution resulted from little informative variation in nuclear loci and high levels of homoplasy in the mtDNA control region. Control region sequences from the four Tachyeres species fell into two distinct clades. In one clade, T. patachonicus and T. leucocephalus share a set of closely related haplotypes (≤0.6% sequence divergence); while no identical haplotypes were shared between species, the control region phylogeny was insufficiently resolved to either support or reject reciprocal monophyly. The second clade, ~1.7% divergent from the first, comprised haplotypes of the Falkland Islands species T. brachypterus and a captive individual of T. pteneres. These distinctive South American ducks likely experienced two bouts of rapid diversification, thus making analysis of their phylogenetic relationships difficult. Incomplete lineage sorting, founder effects, and perhaps introgression likely have contributed to obscuring the relationships among steamer ducks.
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/123361054/abstract

Bulgarella et al, 2010. Phylogenetic relationships of Amazonetta, Speculanas, Lophonetta and Tachyeres: four morphologically divergent duck genera endemic to South America. J. Avian. Biol. 41: 186-199.
Full pdf file

As I've never been to the Falklands, I've never seen "either" Steamer duck there. Could someone clarify if they mirror the differences in their mainland counterparts or if they look more similar? The mainland birds (Flightless vs Flying) seem very distinct by eye.

cheers, alan

As I've never been to the Falklands, I've never seen "either" Steamer duck there. Could someone clarify if they mirror the differences in their mainland counterparts or if they look more similar? The mainland birds (Flightless vs Flying) seem very distinct by eye.
Yes, I'd also like to know - I've PM'd Alan Henry about it, so perhaps he can shed some light. In a brief visit to the Falklands last year, all the steamers that we saw were identified as Falkland flightless (brachypterus), but females have greenish-yellow bills like female Flying (patachonicus) so flightless pairs aren't always as totally obvious as Fuegian (pteneres). Dick Filby told us that Flying Steamer Ducks were very scarce in the Falklands - I think he might have said that he'd never actually seen them there.

PS. 30,000 pairs flightless, 400 pairs flying: www.seabirds.org/falklands/birds/sd.htm.

Last edited:
You're not the only ones. I worked for the BAS in the '70s so I saw plenty of Steamers in the Falklands ( Falklands SD on the list, Flying / Flightless off. Booo ), but I'd still like to square it with my notes. Also - Chiloe SD? I'm off to Chile later this year so more info on this 'taxon' would be great.

Chris

Graham R. Scott, Patricia M. Schulte, Stuart Egginton, Angela L.M. Scott, Jeffrey G. Richards, William K. Milsom, 2011. Molecular Evolution of Cytochrome c Oxidase Underlies High-Altitude Adaptation in the Bar-Headed Goose. Mol. Biol. Evol. 28(1):351–363.
Abstract
PDF

Users who are viewing this thread

Back