• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Olympus C2100UZ, reviews? (1 Viewer)

songbirds

I would like to purchase a digital camera for all purpose photography, including bird photography. I've been considering an Olympus C2100 Ultra Zoom. Would appreciate any feedback regarding that camera.
Thanks,
Christine (aka songbirds)

Send a private message to IanF., he has one. It has IS (image stabilization) which it got from Canon (it is the same IS used on the Canon Pro90IS). I know that they are fine cameras, you just have to remember that they only have 2.1 megapixels. It is also not a camera designed for digiscoping. I would consider it a good camera for many photography needs, and certainly a good "learning" camera in case you ever do decide to go with a DSLR (even if its ten years from now). You might also want to look on www.dpreview.com, in their archives for his review. He gives some of the best reviews around, IMO. I have the Canon Pro90, and they have many things in common.

Christine, I have that camera and I love it for bird photography. I have the B-300 teleconverter lens on mine. It is only 2.1 megapixels but my pics print out fine since I don't do anything over 8X10.

Hi there I have a C-2100 and was not sure you could still buy these anywhere. It is a great little camera but discontinued. IF you are looking for a good wee camera to start you might look at the Olympus 730 or 735 (I am not sure which it is exactly) It is a great small 3.1 mp camera and takes splendid photos...
The Canon Pro90IS is also a great camera but alas also discontinued.
I dearly loved my C-2100 and thought for a 2.1 mp camera there was nothing that could touch it.
IF you are interested in Digiscoping do ask Andy Bright as he is one person that is really very knowledgeable in this area(at least one that I am personally aware of).
Hope this is helpful to you.

Hi Christine,

As Brian points out I have an Uzi too. I have had it for just over a year and to me it is the most suited out of all the digital cameras for bird photography - unless you can afford a Canon D60 + lens. It was still quite a chunk out of my budget, but I can honestly say it is well worth the money.
It carries almost the same specification as the Canon Pro90IS which does have a slightly higher megapixel rating - I would have had one of them instead, but they were at bit dearer at the time I was looking.
Both cameras have been discontinued, but a few new ones can still be found on the Net over here, secondhand or refurbished from Olympus. I'd still recommend them as nothing has directly replaced them in terms of features.
The Olympus C730 is very similar in specification and there have been some very good reviews of it. It does have more megapixels and a 10x lens, though from what I've read, the 10x is more geared to the wideangle rather than telephoto range and so equates more to something like 8x on the Uzi. The other thing being that the 730 has no image stabiliser, which at long zoom lengths and especially in dull conditions really means that a tripod is necessary.
Another point is that each of these cameras can be used in conjunction with tele-extension lenses which can be coupled together to give around 1200-1500 mm 35mm equivalent, though some degradation of image occurs, but I find it is often 'better to have than not have' a shot.
dpreview is a very good place to look as you can read actual owners reviews as well as the official ones. Stevesdigicams is another good review site.
Keep an eye on the Gallery here, hopefully it won't be too long before it's up and running again. All of my photos are with the Uzi, many of them with the tele-extension lenses too. Other members also use this camera for comparison.
If you have any particular queries about the camera, feel free to post them or send me a PM.
It's a good point about Digiscoping. If you already have a scope it's a very good option, though a little expensive if starting from scratch. The Digiscoping forum on here is very good for advice and tips.

Thanks to all who replied! Besides my post here, I had done some research at dpreview.com yesterday and posted a thread about refurbished units there. Someone there recently posted a link to AcesClub, they have refurbished models for $399. Another site I was looking at, has them for $429. Someone recommended eBay. Yes, there are a few new ones available at eBay, but they are selling for $600 plus. I looked at a few that were being sold privately, but my father recommended a refurbished unit over a private sale. Having a warranty, on a pricey item, is important to me. One of the benefits of a private sale though, is that there are usually a few accessories included.
Last year I bought an Olympus IS-5 Deluxe ZLR (35mm film SLR) camera and am extremely pleased with it. Being in the market for a digital camera, my heart led me in the Olympus direction once again. The Canon Pro90, which can still be found as well, was the only other camera I'd consider. After reading both reviews at dpreview, I am still leaning towards the Olympus (even with the pixel difference, 2.1 to the Canon's 2.6) Has anyone used both of them?

~Christine

Christine, I thought I'd give you an update on my C2100UZ. It became a victim of the "sudden death syndrome" last week. I had used it for a year and a half, just long enough for the warranty to be gone. The shutter button/zoom quit working. Olympus wants $289 to work on it with no guarantee that they can fix it. Local shops won't touch it because they tell me Olympus hasn't authorized anyone else to repair their products. A friend on another forum had the same thing happen while hers was still under warranty and they replaced her camera because they couldn't fix it.

Thank you for the update Rosah. I have been doing tons of research and have decided to wait until the big camera manufacturers unveil their new models (a couple of months from now... in March/May?). Not to mention that my husband is currently out of work due to the winter weather, so a new toy isn't in the budget these days. Thanks for your input though!
Take care ~ Christine

I have a C2100 camera and have been trying to find a teleconverter. I never found one. What is this B-300 mentioned above?

The B-300 is a much sort after 1.7x converter that was designed to fit on Olympus IS-3 and IS-3000 35mm cameras, and works brilliantly on the C2100 and a whole range of other digital cameras. For the C-2100 it requires the use of a 49-55mm step-up ring. My B-300 is on the camera most of the time during the day.

With the lens at maximum zoom, aperture f3.5 and the macro setting on it will focus down to about 2.7m, giving a field of about 14x18cm.

The lens was discontinued some time back, but there are new examples still available if you search for them. I bought one on eBay a month or so ago to replace one that I had managed to break.

However, it seems that Olympus are about to bring out an alternative called the called the TCON-17. It looks indentical to the B300, with the same magnification. Apparently it will cost less than the B-300, and we will have to wait to see if it is as good.

Olympus also made (and discontinued) an A-200 1.4x adaptor which is much lighter than the B-300 (which weighs 260g). I use this when I want closer focusing than the B-300 will allow - useful for butterflies.

Hi Gaukar,

My first thought was 'what on earth is a Tcon-17 ?' but I see from the link that you provided that it must be the long awaited replacement for the B300. I must admit that I haven't seen any reviews of it yet. Some Olympus supplementary lenses are better than others. I've had experience of the B300-Tcon14-A200-C180 and would rate them in that order. The first three are of solid glass construction the last one plastic. You really notice the difference when you see them side by side. There is no noticeable light loss and certainly with the B300 alone attached to the Olympus C2100, I'm convinced quality is improved. I guess Olympus got that one wrong.

I use the Tcon 14 coupled to the B300 practically all of the time. Quite a few of my Gallery shots use this combo, Brian Currie also uses them together to great effect. You just need to use step rings for the rear threads and to connect the B300 to the Tcon 14 you just cement a step ring to the front.

If anyone is interested in a B300 they keep cropping up on Ebay, there's one there now. Eagle Eye in the UK often have stocks too.

Just to add on to what Ian and others have said, the US price for the TCON 17 will be $99 retail (so expect to find it for even less). I have looked at this lens previously, it looks just like the B-300, is promised to have better optics by Olympus, so it is worth the wait because you will pay double for the B-300. I am thinking of getting it just to compare it with the B-300.

Gaukur,

There is a TCON 14 and a TCON 14-B. I am not sure if this makes a difference in fittings, but just want to make sure they are talking about the right lens. They look entirely different, so it would be easy to tell from a photograph. The 14-B is superior in optics, very similar to the B-300. I do know the lens diameters are different on both ends of these lenses.

Last edited:
I use the Olympus E-100RS with the TCON17. The E-100RS has the same optics as the C2100 but has lower resolution pictures (1.5MP) and geared for "rapid shots" ; i.e. shutter up to 1/10000 s.

My experiences with the TCON 17 and the C210 teleconverters have been very good.

The TCON17 (1.7X) is excellent with no vignetting at maximum zoom and produces relatively bright and clear shots.

The C210 (1.9X) has slight vignetting at maximum zoom and produces very crisp pictures. However the pictures are not as brght as the TCON17.

The TCON17 is significantly larger than the C210.

I highly recommend the TCON17 as the best teleconverter > 1.5X for the E-100RS/C2100 cameras.

I finally made it to get my TCON17 last weekend and yesterday I was out taking some trial pictures. It seems to work well with my C2100! Some pictures are already in my members gallery.

I have used TCON-17 with C-2100UZ since June this year, and I am very pleased with it. No vignetting at max zoom and you can even back up a little without getting any disturbing vignetting. Take a look at my Grey Heron in my Members Gallery. Forget B-300, TCON-27 is cheaper and probably better ! You need a stepup ring to mount it.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back