Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mystery bird, Dalat, Vietnam

Old Sunday 3rd January 2016, 08:16   #1
andyb39

Mystery bird, Dalat, Vietnam

Can anyone ID this one? Could it be Black-headed Sibia? Can't think of anything else that fits.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5633.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	569042  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5634.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	569043  
Old Sunday 3rd January 2016, 09:25   #2
Grahame Walbridge

Male Grey Bushchat.

Grahame
Old Sunday 3rd January 2016, 14:15   #3
andyb39

I wouldn't normally question you Grahame, but this bird was definitely not Grey Bushchat. I coincidentally saw a pair of Grey Bushchats this afternoon, my first encounter with the species, and the bird in the picture was very different. For a start, the mantle was darkish chestnut. I have also ruled out Black-headed Sibia as the form found in Dalat is robinsoni, which is completely different to Dark-backed Sibia. I now think this bird must be a White-cheeked Laughingthrush.
Old Sunday 3rd January 2016, 15:05   #4
Grahame Walbridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyb39 View Post
I wouldn't normally question you Grahame, but this bird was definitely not Grey Bushchat. I coincidentally saw a pair of Grey Bushchats this afternoon, my first encounter with the species, and the bird in the picture was very different. For a start, the mantle was darkish chestnut. I have also ruled out Black-headed Sibia as the form found in Dalat is robinsoni, which is completely different to Dark-backed Sibia. I now think this bird must be a White-cheeked Laughingthrush.
I was almost swayed and thought I had 'lost it' and completely misjudged the birds size but no....the first image ain't no Laughing Thrush, the structure is completely wrong. In any case, White-cheeked has a black gular stripe which your bird clearly does not. And the flanks are grey; warm buffish-brown as in WCLT.

http://ibc.lynxeds.com/photo/white-c...erches-briefly

So, why is it not a Grey Bushchat? Non-breeding males/imm males at this time of year can show extensive rich brown tones to the upper parts.

Grahame

Last edited by Grahame Walbridge : Sunday 3rd January 2016 at 17:38.
Old Sunday 3rd January 2016, 17:54   #5
Grahame Walbridge

In the first image you can just make out the white brow and you can also make out dark centres to the upper parts. In addition, the tail pattern fits Grey Bushchat; white in the tail sides whereas in WCLT the tail feathers are broadly tipped white as can be seen in link provided.

And here's a bird showing the extent of brown in the upper parts; this is gradually lost through wear.

http://orientalbirdimages.org/search...ze=1&Location=

Grahame
Old Sunday 3rd January 2016, 18:29   #6
birdboybowley
BF Supporter 2018

Grey Bushchat for sure

www.adambowleyart.com

BF Supporter 2016 2017 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Monday 4th January 2016, 08:41   #7
dalat

Agreed.
Old Monday 4th January 2016, 11:27   #8
andyb39

It certainly looks like one from the photos. It's just that I can't match the image of this bird in my memory to any image of Grey Bushchat. I spent yesterday struggling with tricky Phyllocs and Seicercus warblers plus numerous other unfamiliar species and perhaps my brain got so overloaded, I've conflated my memory of this bird with another.... You're definitely right in saying it's not a White-cheeked Laughingthrush - I saw one today and it was completely different, so I guess it must be Grey Bushchat. Thank you for taking the time to point out the error of my ways!
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: