• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Seabirds - Fife (1 Viewer)

Gander

I was sorting out some photos from a session at Fife Ness this morning, when I noticed that the pictured birds had ID rings. Is this info of use to anyone? How would I find and report to the ringer?

Attachments

• DSCN6522.jpg
    DSCN6522.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 229
Almost certainly ringed on the Isle of May - so get in touch with Mark Newell. I guess if you're sending him ring recoveries he won't mind if you call him Mike ;-)

I'm sure that you'll hear back eventually. At this time of year seabird people are still more likely to be spending more time in the field than at their desks. From my experience of reporting colour ringed shags CEH do reply, but it does sometimes take a few weeks if the person dealing with reports is in the field/on holiday/whatever.

Reply received today. The tagger has been busy on the Isle of May ringing this years chicks, so delay in answer is understandable.

All three birds in the post #1 photo are confirmed as having been ringed on the IoM in the summer of 2016.

More tagged shag

A couple more tagged shag found this afternoon. This time on my Seafield patch. First one is easy to read (Blue-FWU). The second one looks like a different type of tag and is on the right leg. The white lettering on green is hard to read, however, I think it is CJ, followed by a possible B, maybe.

I've sent the photos in to same place as last time.

Attachments

• DSCN7450.jpg
    DSCN7450.jpg
    228.5 KB · Views: 162
  • DSCN7508.jpg
    DSCN7508.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 174
  • DSCN7504.jpg
    DSCN7504.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 169
Internet access can be very limited, especially on the Isle of May, so be careful not to overload with photos if you are hoping for a quick reply because it's frustrating waiting to download mail when it takes an age due to a photo being attached. In those cases they won't look at the mail until they set foot on the mainland again which might be some time. cheers Dave

Internet access can be very limited, especially on the Isle of May, so be careful not to overload with photos if you are hoping for a quick reply because it's frustrating waiting to download mail when it takes an age due to a photo being attached. In those cases they won't look at the mail until they set foot on the mainland again which might be some time. cheers Dave

Thanks. I didn't realise that they are on the IoM most of the time. I don't need quick replies, but I will try to minimise the photos. Sent a third batch in on Thursday. I think I have some from this mornings outting too.

I have asked if they want me to continue firing in the sightings. As I'm so close to the IoM, I'm not sure if the info is of value.

Gbbg

I have continued to send in my tagged Shag sightings for the last two months. I have just listed the tag numbers/colour/leg instead of sending photos, so as not to overload their mail, but no response yet.

Today I found something different. A tagged GBBG (see pics). I have tracked the tagger using the CRbirding site, and believe the bird to be from a NE Scotland project. I have now e-mailed the tagger with the details, but have received an auto answer stating he is out of the country, and not to expect an answer before November. Seems to be the way these guys work.

Attachments

• DSCN8659.jpg
    DSCN8659.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 138
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back