• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No digiscoping (1 Viewer)

Yes, you are correct and a review of some of the archives in digiscoping will fill you in on just what cameras are suitable for digiscoping.

Hi Helen,

The C750 wins out for the closer birds, especially when using the Tcon17 as it is so much more manourveable and versatile.

As regards digiscoping IMHO the C750 just isn't suitable with the lens having such a wide diamterer, far more than the width of an eyepiece, hence excessive vignetting. You can use it for digiscoping and get images with the optical zoom set 8-10x which reduces vignetting but the resulting images are likely to turn out very soft as the magnification is just too powerful - least that is what happens with my C2100UZ. I have heard of some people using the digital zoom on their cameras to as it were 'zoom out' the vignetting, but on the C2100 the digital zoom only comes into play 'after' the optical zoom is at it's full extent ie 10x. I suspect the C750 will be the same.

It's not just the internal zoom on the Nikon Coolpixes, it's also the small lens diameter which makes them more suitable for digiscoping.

Yes, I had a look at the thread re cameras suitable for digiscoping.

This week I have bought a tripod (Velbon D700) which I really like, it suits me for my amateur needs at the moment. Plus I've just ordered PS Elements 2. My next purchase just HAS to be the Tcon 17. (as hubby says, I just can't live without one now). Oh yes, and some kind of portable storage system.

The money spent on my 750UZ is increasing by the day...

when I first bought it hubby remarked that I would soon be wanting all the goodies that go with it. No, no I replied - just the camera and maybe another xd card. He turned out to be correct!

What is your experience with a Velbon D700 tripod

Hi "Helenol", I saw your message (here below) I am offered a Velbon D700 (for 69 euro) and I like to know what your experiences are with that tripod. I do not wat to use it for digiscoping, just for putting my telescope (Kowa TSN-1) on. Please tell me everything I have to pay attention to, so I can make a good choice!

thanks in advance,

Leo

helenol said:

This week I have bought a tripod (Velbon D700) which I really like, it suits me for my amateur needs at the moment. Plus I've just ordered PS Elements 2. My next purchase just HAS to be the Tcon 17. (as hubby says, I just can't live without one now). Oh yes, and some kind of portable storage system.

when I first bought it hubby remarked that I would soon be wanting all the goodies that go with it. No, no I replied - just the camera and maybe another xd card. He turned out to be correct!

I have a C750 mated to a Leika 77 telvid with a ScopeTronix MaxView 40-'L'.I find that at both 10% zoom and full zoom = very little vignetting so your not limited to only a high magnifycation.With other zoom settings the vignetting can be much worse.Of course wide angle is the worse as is 50% zoom.
I posted my first effort at digiscopeing in the gallery.
It's a image of a Coopers hawk that was waiting for 'lunch' to fly by in my yard.'Lunch' however knew he was there and stayed away.

helenol said:

Just to give you some further "inspiration" for depleting your savings it looks like the Kenko 3x teleconverter for digital cameras also works well with the
Oly 750. I got mine yesterday and haven't had an opportunity to check it out yet. The Tcon 1.7 is a must as it works very well. When my bank account recovers I am thinking of trying the Eagle Optics 5x lens.

IanF gave a good explanation of why the Oly 750 is not well suited for digiscoping: the need to use the maximum optical zoom to avoid severe vignetting makes focusing through the scope extremely difficult given the 10x power zoom of the Oly. If you want to try anyway Sheilach has a good suggestion regarding using the Scopetronis Maxview 40mm eyepiece (but your scope must be able to accept this eyepiece). What this eyepiece does is provide a lower scoep magnification and a long eye relief as well as a wider exit pupil than the most commonly used eyepieces in most scopes used for birding. But notice that very likely you still will have to use your camera at max. zoom. Now at max. zoom the Oly 750 is equivalent to a SLR with 380mm lens, thus with scope magnification 10x you would have an effective SLR 3800mm lens. Thus the light requirements would be severe and the focusing would be difficult. The focusing is made more difficult than when using a camera with smaller zoom because in digiscoping focusing is usually done using the scope's focusing mechanism. The 10x zoom magnifies any small error in focusing the scope's image.

Thus it seems that small power telephoto lenses and a tripod is the way to go for consistent good results with the Oly 750. Notice that with the Tcon1.7 you would get an effective SLR 646mm lens, with the Kenko 3x you would get
1140mm and with the EE5x 1900mm (which is close to what is achieved in digiscoping, say 110mm (CP990) vs 20x =2200mm). I personally don't know whether the Kenko3x and EE5x will work as well with the 750 as the Tcon1.7x does. My initial impression is that the Kenko teleconverter should work.

Dalcio

Hi dacol, thanks for the info in your very informative post.

I purchased the Tcon1.7, which I'm happy with. I would still like to go "further" though at some point in the maybe not too distant future! Let us know how you get on with the Kenko.
Cheers

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back