• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

first winter blackcap (1 Viewer)

Mary

Had the first blackcap of the winter, a male, briefly in the garden this morning. It flew out of the honeysuckle so had presumably been feeding on its berries. Any others about anywhere?

I know it's not the UK Mary, but here's my first Blackcap this winter feeding on the Lantana and Cotoneaster berries in the garden

Attachments

• fem-bc.jpg
    fem-bc.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 180
Nice one, Bob!
I've always wondered how birds manage to perch so easily in shrubs such as yours, with evil-looking spines! When I prune our pyracantha, I always end up full of holes, but the sparrows use it all the time as a lookout, and dive in when the sparrowhawk is about. It does stop them getting caught, though!

I know what you mean Mary,I have just been tidying up the garden and got spiked a few times,everything over here seems to grow thorns,great for the shrikes to put their dinner on though!!

Saw my first ever Blackcap in my garden this morning! I wasn't sure what it was at first so I've just had it confirmed by someone who knows more than I do.

Here are a few photos I took of it.

PICT0166.jpg

PICT0159.jpg

PICT0142.jpg

Saw my first ever Blackcap in my garden this morning! I wasn't sure what it was at first so I've just had it confirmed by someone who knows more than I do.

Here are a few photos I took of it.

PICT0166.jpg

PICT0159.jpg

PICT0142.jpg

That one looks really at home on the feeder, must have seen one before, perhaps.

That one looks really at home on the feeder, must have seen one before, perhaps.

Yes, he's been on and off the feeders all day so far today and he keeps chasing off the blue tits.

He's now taken complete control of the sunflower hearts feeder and won't let any other bird on it, even though there's enough perches for four birds to feed at once. Are they normally this aggressive and possessive of feeders?

Last edited:
I've never had one quite that aggressive, though they can be a bit beligerent I think! There are, unusually, 4 coming at the moment, 2male,2female, so my robin is somewhat overwhelmed- he usually bosses them about. Perhaps he doesn't mind them taking the Leycesteria berries which he doesn't eat. When I get a suet feeder put out in the back garden, it may be a different story!

Scarce round my way so far this winter, compared to last winter (only lived here just over a year so it's a bit early to see what the norm is). Last winter I would often see up to three from the back door, seldom had to wait more than fifteen minutes or so for an appearance. This winter, since the summer visiting birds became invisible (in July) I've had just two records; one on 16th October, and another on 4th December, both females (and both in the same willow bush, so could easily be the same individual). Interesting to see Mary seems to have more around this winter down in Warks; she must have my missing birds!

James

I don't mind getting yours, James! They're lovely birds. I've started off another Leycesteria plant from a seedling so I can put it in the front garden next year and get even more berries!

There do seem to be fewer Blackcaps around this winter, though this could partly be because its mild. The birds might actually be here in good numbers, but just feeding in the wider countryside. If we have a really cold few days, then they might be forced into gardens, hence becoming more visible (and appearing more numerous).

Results from the BirdTrack survey do seem to show fewer birds though (check the bottom graph):
http://blx1.bto.org/bt-dailyresults/results/s412-20-07.html

Mark Grantham
BTO

Just out of interest, what have they been seen eating? In my garden, they take berries other birds rarely touch - Leycesteria and Honeysuckle, and like the blue tits they will eat the Mahonia flowers. 'Artificially ' provided foods include suet pellets, suet cake, sultanas and apple. Anyone noticed any others?

Hello Mary, I have only just caught up with this thread. I have attach a photo of a male Blackcap that visited my garden on the first of this month, it hung around for awhile that day feeding on fatballs, not been seen since. A female stayed around for a couple of weeks this time of the year two years ago.

ROD.

Attachments

• Blackcap 010_edited.jpg
    Blackcap 010_edited.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 112
That is a super photo Rod, wish I could get one as good as that.

Mary, We had a male arrive yesterday. He is feeding in the same hedge that they (4 of them!) favoured last year. It is a mixture of cotoneaster, honeysuckle and another plant I don't know the name of.
Two years ago we had one that loved the CJs peanut cake, but last year and this they are finding enough natural food and don't show any interest in mine!

First male of the Winter visited my garden this morning along with four female Brambling,
the Blackcap was on feeders, peanut and Sunflower hearts.

Two male Blackcaps visited this lunchtime, eating Pyracantha berries. Attached some shots.

ROD.

Attachments

• Blackcap  076_edited-copy.jpg
    Blackcap 076_edited-copy.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 95
  • Blackcap 091_edited-copy.jpg
    Blackcap 091_edited-copy.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 98
  • Blackcap  094_edited-copy.jpg
    Blackcap 094_edited-copy.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 102
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back