• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Any signs of spring? (1 Viewer)

House Sparrows are looking for nesting holes. The "Bluebird" houses are being cleaned out, replace old grass with new grass. Some birds want to nest over my front door. Had to plug up that hole in the house siding.

When we get a day like this one, it's easy to forget about storms and to imagin that spring is getting close! This is the view across the valley from our driveway. One of our old barns is seen on the right.

Hardly any snow in the last week in my part of Essex. The snowdrops have been out for some time and this week the daffodils were fully out. Just this morning a pair of blue tits were examining the nesting box. Its been up 4 years without success so keeping our fingers crossed.

Dave

Saw a raven today flying around with a twig in it's beak... a sign of nest building, I believe.
It's been melting like crazy here for the past week and we've easily lost over a foot of snow. Unfortunately, the forecast is for 10 - 15 cm of snow tomorrow! Hints of spring but not the full blown season just yet.

Spring has definately sprung here - despite a heavy frost on the ground this morning. Got home from work this evening to find the attached in a tall tree at the bottom of the garden. The crows have obviously decided the pickings are good around here and are going to stay on for a while (well I assume it's the crows, I didn't actually see the architect !!)

Attachments

• Crows Nest.jpg
    Crows Nest.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 72
To all of you in Northern Canada your vivid descriptions of winter conditions seem, as usual, to make a nonsense of the way we carry on about the weather in the U K during our winter. It only seems to require an inch of snow and one or two degrees of frost in the southern half of England and the whole country is reported in the media to be brought to its knees. I suspect any news items you glean of our "awful" winter weather conditions must bring amused smiles to your faces!

i believe that it was about 1947, I was a little kid in London, when I saw the first snow that I remember, probably 6" or less. We had a ball! There was a hill by our house, built out of bomb rubble covered in clay and that became our toboggan hill. Little did I know that within a few years I'd be living in a country where a snow fall of that size wouldn't even draw comment.
I was living in Victoria, BC one year when there was a foot of snow. Now that was funny to watch. There were traffic tie-ups everywhere.

...When were you in Victoria, snowy? I was there 1968-72 and '82 -'84.... I think... And on PEI in.. erm.. sometime in between there, summers at the Confederation Centre...

Charles Harper said:
...When were you in Victoria, snowy? I was there 1968-72 and '82 -'84.... I think... And on PEI in.. erm.. sometime in between there, summers at the Confederation Centre...
That's a good question but I have to work out the answer. I went from Ottawa to QCI in 1982, so I must have been in Victoria in 1984, back to Ottawa in 1985 (and, for the record Hailifax in 1987).

Beautiful here today in Southeastern North Carolina - 76 degrees. Daffodils are all in bloom, and the redbuds just popping out. Bluebirds are starting to nest in my bluebird box, mourning doves are chasing each other around. Hummingbirds are due back in this area in 2 weeks. Aaaah, spring!!!

In a nearby city park, Red Wing Blackbird males are back, females will follow, also Grackles and Song Sparrows were active, singing and staking claims. I say singing, when Grackles of course make Grackle noise.

Charles Harper said:
...So we might have chatted briefly at Clover Point. Ain't this great!
You never know, anything is possible!
Signs of Spring have definitely arrived. It's been above freezing for the last couple of days. It even stayed mild overnight and actually rained. It's going to continue up and down until the weekend so that will get rid of a lot of snow.
Of course, another less pleasant sign of Spring is that as the snow melts I get reminded that there is more to having a large dog than feeding and walking him, plus I think some of his buddies must have been visiting. I'll say no more on that subject.

snowyowl said:
Of course, another less pleasant sign of Spring is that as the snow melts I get reminded that there is more to having a large dog than feeding and walking him, plus I think some of his buddies must have been visiting. I'll say no more on that subject.
We would appreciate that, Dan!!! ;)
We had a nice taste of spring this past week but it's now been snowing (lightly) for 2 days and it's supposed to drop back down into the minus teens C tonight. It's not over yet.... I'm sure we've got a couple more storms coming yet too. And no sign of any spring migrants yet. The purple finches should be the first to show... hopefully by the end of this month.

It's been a cold week down to -7oc for many nights but today a female bluetit delivered the first bit of nest material into one of my nest boxes. I wonder if it will stay.
Brett

Attachments

• 0403031203405.jpg
    0403031203405.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 80
nobby said:
It's been a cold week down to -7oc for many nights but today a female bluetit delivered the first bit of nest material into one of my nest boxes. I wonder if it will stay.
Brett

We were quite excited a few days ago, when moss appeared in one of our boxes (I posted a message and a couple of pictures here) - but now it's gone again!!

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back