• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Garden/Yard List 2018. (1 Viewer)

One to get you drooling, I would normally spend days scanning the distant mountaisides with the 'scope hoping for this species, so I nearly choked on my lunch as this beauty came gliding down the valley just now:
39 Lammergeier

......but wouldn't you expect to see a shepherd on the hillside Richard ? :-O

Nothing new here - but a Greylag repeat.

Snowed in - had to abandon my car on the way home last night after struggling for several miles.

After a week of nowt! woke up to the strains of Yaffle no.45....followed an hour later by a local speciality, two Mandarin Duck creasing the canopy en-route to Connaught Waters no.46.

Actually, Turtle Dove is a very unlikely species to be seen in January, especially so far north. You need to be sure what you saw and should pass the record on to your county recorder.

Steve

Hi Steve 98% certain it was a turtle dove.:t: I have contacted Andrew our county recorder.

This morning saw a Merlin feeding in my back garden all that was left was a beak and a few feathers.

Hi Kev

That's a really good bird to get actually in a garden anywhere - unless a large unenclosed one. Well done.
Presume you were sure it wasn't a Sparrowhawk?

H

Garden predator

Hi Kev

That's a really good bird to get actually in a garden anywhere - unless a large unenclosed one. Well done.
Presume you were sure it wasn't a Sparrowhawk?

H

You mean like this H?
This male Sparrowhawk keeps trying to catch anything it can at the moment (I think it may have caught a male Blackbird the other day, judging by the downy dark grey feathers near the feeder).
We're up to c75 Siskins now but Simon W has put a curse on my Woodpigeons, they're still not back:-C

Attachments

• Garden predator.jpg
    Garden predator.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 48
.....but Simon W has put a curse on my Woodpigeons, they're still not back:-C

Sorry Richard - my comment was an entirely schoolboy type knee-jerk one ;) I mean, you saw a blinkin' Lammergeier from home; I'd always tell my boyhood birding mate when he saw an outrageous bird that he wasn't allowed anything else for a while - that he'd used up all his points! Anyway I hope the Woodies make an appearance soon, didn't mean to be cursing them - I gave up cursing things a while ago now :-O (never worked out too well :smoke:)

For my sins, I can only add one as my little list creeps up to 30.

29. European Robin

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back