• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

No birds (1 Viewer)

4 weeks ago i moved into a 40 year old bungalow.
First job put up Meal worms, peanuts, suit cake, fat balls and good quality mixed seed.
To date i have not one single bird visit.
Theres no cats around.
If you've plenty of birds can i borrow some please.
Any light you could shine on this would be appreciated.

Hi John and a warm welcome to you from all the Staff and Moderators.

When I moved into this flat, I put up window feeders.... it took the birds about 3 months to find them!

It can take a while for birds to find a new feeding station and add it to their routine. At this time of year there is still plenty of natural feed out in the wider countryside. So don't fret, they'll soon be on the hunt when the weather gets hard.

Do you have any cover for them to perch on before going to the feeders, they like to be able to check out that there's nothing like Sparrowhawks around.

I've moved your post to the Birds and Birding forum as I think you'll get a bigger response there. I also subscribed you to the thread so you can find it easily.

Meanwhile, I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

I live in a very rural location, and only feed in the winter.
Every year it takes the birds weeks to find the feeders.
3 weeks for the great spotted woodpecker that found them today, but surprisingly few finches of any kind so far.
Its patience time.

4 weeks ago i moved into a 40 year old bungalow.
First job put up Meal worms, peanuts, suit cake, fat balls and good quality mixed seed.
To date i have not one single bird visit.
Theres no cats around.
If you've plenty of birds can i borrow some please.'

You're welcome to some of our House Sparrows. A flock of 20 visits every day[ with three Tree Sparrow, Woodpigeon, Robin, the odd Pheasant, a few Tits].
It's costing us a fortune in bird seed.

Circa 7 years ago I put out 2 niger feeders (already having a peanut/sunflower feeder on the other side of the garden which was well attended)....It took 2 years for my first tenants to arrive!...Goldfinches.

Then some new neighbours moved in next door but one, and they put up a very expensive multi ported feeder system....and most of the “loyalty” disappeared overnight!

However, after a period of time I got my birds back! Spoke to him a few years later and asked him if he still fed the birds...he replied, “not after the rats arrived!” :)

I'd echo what's been said with regard to it taking a bit of time.
The other important thing, which Delia mentioned, is cover. In my experience, there really has to be a good bush as close as poss to the feeders for the tits and sparrows to visit. Otherwise, switch to feeding Goldfinches, Chaffinches etc as they're less reliant on it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back