Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Opinion on buying 8x30 E II from Japan seller on amazon?

Old Tuesday 9th January 2018, 04:41   #1
Gavin S.

Opinion on buying 8x30 E II from Japan seller on amazon?

I'd really like to get a pair of these and it seems the only options currently are buying from Japan or paying $800 for the 100th anniversary models. I asked the seller in Japan about warranty and they said there would only be a 1 year warranty in Japan for the bins. Would you guys be wary of that? Thanks.
Old Tuesday 9th January 2018, 10:44   #2
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Gavin,

First off I would never pay the price for the 100th Anniversary Edition. They are the same glass as the regular EIIs sold from Japan, except with a silver metal flake paint job. I bought two standard black EIIs from Amazon and they are fine and work very well. Great Glass!
Additionally being a porro prism they are repair facilities here in the US who can easily work on these so if they fail after a year or get out of alignment, then no problem. If the lens breaks, worst case scenario, then you would have to send them to Japan for replacements and at cost. Just don't drop them.

Regards,

Andy W.

BF Supporter 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 9th January 2018, 14:10   #3
coopershawk

I think if you bought the anniversary edition from an authorized US dealer you'd have a lifetime warranty. So you could think of the $800 - $480 = $320 extra as the price of a lifetime warranty. Whether or not that's worth it only you can decide. Like Andy said, there are repair facilities that could easily do work on an EII as it is a unsealed porro.

The current going price of $480 seems a bit high by the way. They usually hang around $430 and I've seen it as low as $400.
Old Tuesday 9th January 2018, 14:44   #4
Gavin S.

Thanks guys. I guess the question is whether I would typically need a warranty on the E IIs. And I guess the answer is, probably not.
Old Tuesday 9th January 2018, 15:15   #5
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

I got mine at the 430 range in October 2017, watch the market (value of the yen) the prices at Amazon should drop, or look for a used one, US seller, which can be had for 375.

A.W.

Old Tuesday 9th January 2018, 19:13   #6
Roadbike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavin S. View Post
Thanks guys. I guess the question is whether I would typically need a warranty on the E IIs. And I guess the answer is, probably not.
I've had an 8x30 and 10x35 for several years and had no problems with them. If the Amazon price is reasonable for the non anniversary model then go for it. Or look for used here on BF. If my bins had a collimation or other problem I would probably send them to a good independent like Suddarth.
Old Tuesday 9th January 2018, 22:19   #7
Jack Speer

Quote:
I think you will be fine without a warranty. My wife's pair feels very nicely made and looks like a simple design where little will go wrong naturally.

Just make sure to be extra vigilant with the rainguard if you get caught in a storm and always wear the strap since they are not rubber armored and would not fare well if dropped.
Old Wednesday 10th January 2018, 10:18   #8
Rodgerbiltit

Have you checked chinaarts in HK?
http://www.birdforum.net/showthread.php?t=263264
Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 06:19   #9
flatfield

Just got mine from Japan via eBay. Could not be happier with the EII.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PhotoPictureResizer_180203_215217465-1600x1200.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	389.7 KB
ID:	652957  

Last edited by flatfield : Saturday 3rd February 2018 at 10:02.
Old Saturday 3rd February 2018, 13:31   #10
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Nice pic, the fujinon is a nice glass too bad they stopped commercially making the 6x30 and the 8X30.
The EII is a glass everyone should have.
A.W.

Old Monday 5th March 2018, 19:31   #11
albie...

I bought both my E2's from Japan through ebay as well as one of my monoculars . They were purchased from three different vendors over this past winter with very little wait time . All were packaged well and arrived safely.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00864 (Medium).JPG
Views:	127
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	655571  

Last edited by albie... : Monday 5th March 2018 at 19:34.
Old Monday 5th March 2018, 22:48   #12
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by albie... View Post
I bought both my E2's from Japan through ebay as well as one of my monoculars . They were purchased from three different vendors over this past winter with very little wait time . All were packaged well and arrived safely.
Hi, Albie, and Welcome:

If a birder had no more expensive bino than the EII, he or she could have pleasant, fulfilling views for the remainder of his or her life and save tons of money in the process. They just wouldn't have the opportunity to pine over the next expensive ... "lo here" to come along. Que sera sera!

Bill
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 18:37   #13
albie...

Hello Bill.
Thank you for the welcome .
You and a couple other individuals from the "other" site , inspired me to buy the 8x32 and 10x42 SE's . Those are gone and have been replaced by the E2's . If I were to do it again , I would have the 8x30E2 (love it) and the 10x42SE (loved it) . Live and learn. At least the journey was pleasant.
Oh, by the way Bill , I bought your book and am still waiting for it to show up . Should be a good read.
Old Tuesday 6th March 2018, 18:55   #14
WJC

Quote:
Originally Posted by albie... View Post
Hello Bill.
Thank you for the welcome .
You and a couple other individuals from the "other" site , inspired me to buy the 8x32 and 10x42 SE's . Those are gone and have been replaced by the E2's . If I were to do it again , I would have the 8x30E2 (love it) and the 10x42SE (loved it) . Live and learn. At least the journey was pleasant.
Oh, by the way Bill , I bought your book and am still waiting for it to show up . Should be a good read.
So ... You're the one!

Bill
Old Tuesday 13th March 2018, 10:33   #15
paddy7

I've been checking Camera in the Post (seeing as Microglobe are out of stock of EIIs); HK-based (but with a UK office in Dundee), with a promise that they'll pick up the tab for VAT/import duty (probably a total of 22%) and that you only pay the price as advertised.
This may involve you paying this if required, and contacting them for reimbursement via your Paypal account.
Has anyone been through this process? Despite hundreds of glowing reviews via Trustpilot and having been established for sometime, this seems a little chancy.... the price is tempting though!
Old Thursday 15th March 2018, 11:53   #16
MandoBear

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy7 View Post
I've been checking Camera in the Post (seeing as Microglobe are out of stock of EIIs); HK-based (but with a UK office in Dundee), with a promise that they'll pick up the tab for VAT/import duty (probably a total of 22%) and that you only pay the price as advertised.
This may involve you paying this if required, and contacting them for reimbursement via your Paypal account.
Has anyone been through this process? Despite hundreds of glowing reviews via Trustpilot and having been established for sometime, this seems a little chancy.... the price is tempting though!
I bought my EIIs from Camera in the Post a few moths ago. At the time their price was about £355 (the best price I could see anywhere). When I ordered, it turned out they didn't have stock, but were able to obtain it within about 10 days from Japan - which they did. In the meantime Nikon had increased their price substantially, and the price on the website went up by about £100. Fair play to camera in the post, though, they honoured their order at the original price. The bins arrived well packed with all the relevant (Japanese) paperwork and warranty documents (valid in Japan). The binoculars had been shipped from Hong Kong via registered mail with tracking, and the declaration was labelled "Small Lens" with a value of $14 - made me chuckle. I should add that I had good email communication with Camera in the Post -not always super-quick, but prompt enough, and answers were thorough - I felt I was dealing with a human at the other end who cared about their service.

Very, very happy with the binoculars - a real treasure, lovely to look through (I wear glasses), really lovely in the hands, and just a joy to own. Mine live in a Crumpler 2-Million Dollar Home bag, which is well padded and rather more functional for field use than the supplied Nikon bag.

Last edited by MandoBear : Thursday 15th March 2018 at 11:55.
Old Saturday 17th March 2018, 06:33   #17
paddy7

Thanks MB! I've subsequently emailed them a couple of times, and like you, had very personalised and thorough replies, explaining as much as they could about how it works. I decided to go for it, as they were still substantially cheaper than anywhere in the UK currently.
The courier has been in touch to say they're on the way, so hopefully no hitches!
Glad you're happy with yours - i'm intending them as 'good weather bins', but sitting here in the east coast with snow hammering down on March 17th, that seems a fair way off currently....!
Paddy
Old Monday 19th March 2018, 19:11   #18
MandoBear

I'm sure you'll be delighted with the EIIs - I also use mine as "fair weather" bins, and for that purpose they are a delight, with a wonderful, wide, immersive view, a generous sweet spot, and bitingly sharp - you'll see every ruffled feather!
Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 15:03   #19
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
I'd really like to get a pair of these and it seems the only options currently are buying from Japan or paying $800 for the 100th anniversary models. I asked the seller in Japan about warranty and they said there would only be a 1 year warranty in Japan for the bins. Would you guys be wary of that? Thanks.
Gavin,

I'm probably a little late to the parade, but just ordered the 8X30E IIs from Amazon. I spoke to Nikon Sports Optics USA this morning and verified this purchase would be covered under the Nikon Sports "Lifetime No-Fault Warranty", so took the plunge! Basically they stated this full warranty does not require a proof-of-purchase, so in essence is a transferable warranty.

Appears they take it one step further than Swarovski (No-fault warranty, similar to Vortex), so really nothing to lose, except some $$$. I have the Swaro Habicht 8X30 GA porros, so should be an interesting optical\handling comparison!

Ted

Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 17:10   #20
dries1
BF Supporter 2018

Eii

Ted,

I take it you procured the 100th Anniversary edition from Amazon.

A.W.

Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 17:23   #21
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by dries1 View Post
Ted,

I take it you procured the 100th Anniversary edition from Amazon.

A.W.
AW,

If it cost <$500...Yes!

However, I'm sure it is just the standard EII!

Ted

Old Tuesday 20th March 2018, 19:52   #22
paddy7

Well, my Eiis turned up, completely unnnanounced, today. Due to the phenomenon of orbit, it is unfortunately pitch dark. However, came from Camera in the Post, HK, beautifully packaged in enough bubble wrap to keep an obsessive happy for at least 24hrs, all accessories included, seemingly in very good nick - and inscribed with 'Made in Japan,' although i'd heard the new ones were put together in Malaysia.
So, i've been busy with some after-market stuff, fitting optechs into the lugs, connecting a Rick Young harness and S-biner lockable connectors, and waiting for light to go out and check collimation etc. Never was a night so long!
They feel great in the hand, although i can see why many fit Bushwackers to extend the objective barrelling. Just using them in the dim light of my Scheming Room, focusing on my aquarium (every Scheming Room needs one) reveals much about the centre resolution; can see individual scales on Angel Fish, small specks of algae on the glass that i thought i'd cleaned...
Comparing them to the M78x30 will be interesting, if the light ever improves in East Anglia. It's been like Mordor lately.
Old Wednesday 28th March 2018, 16:43   #23
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Talking Tale of Three Porros

Got my 8X30 EII last week...marked on IPD hinge cap, "Made In Japan"! Amazon delivery was quick but poorly packaged. Due to the thin bubble wrapped envelope (no other protection provided), the OEM Nikon box had tears and damage, however the case\optics survived the ordeal perfectly... Now onto the "-My Eyes-IMHO-ME" observations...as always, YMMV!

Have been glassing through many daylight conditions and during late dusk evenings, taking in the local birding and landscapes I live in. Unfortunately, I limited outside excursions due to weather issues (90%+ humidity), but feel I've given them a fair shake. Overall, these are some serious quality porro optics. IMO, they have a solid build, posses wonderful clarity, great center field sharpness and deliver very accurate color fidelity. With their relaxed and natural view (I do not wear glasses), I seem to be able to use all of the sweet spot area (to my eyes, about 75% of their expansive FOV). They are very comfortable in hand, overall ergonomics are great classic design and focus, IPD and diopter functions are superb. I can easily see the attraction and personal commitment some have to these venerable optics.

As I stated in post #19, I was able to directly compare my 1999 Swarovski Habicht 8X30 W GAs to the EIIs. Did this become a "tale of two cities"...not really. Specs, Optics, Mechanics and Ergonomics are closer than I expected! However, in all lighting situations and various venues, the Habichts actually displayed just what phenomenal optics they really are! The swaro porro offered center field sharpness that allowed me to discern greater details in feather textures and bark structures with equal 3D depth, but in a wider sweet spot of clarity (to my eyes, about 90% of FOV). In focus DOF was slightly greater in the Swaro, allowing me to maintain focus with less adjustments. Overall ease-of-view was extremely close, but have to give the nod to the EII. The swaro is brutally sharp, so much that the EII view falls into place immediately, versus a split second later for the swaro. Shadows, low light performance and color fidelity all appear virtually equal, with the only major difference I could find being waterproof (Swaro) versus non-waterproof (Nikon).

During this time frame, decided to throw in my other nice 8X30 porro, the Leupold Yosemite 8X30! I really like these little waterproof jewels. As for the very modest investment of $65, they have a lot going for them. Actually in several areas (sharpness, clarity, color fidelity), I find the EIIs were closer to these Yosemites than to the Habicht. However, the EII build and overall handling is certainly superior to these bargain porros (at 7X the price, should be)!

Considering the Habicht 8x30 W GA (Gummi Armierung-thanks Lee) is no longer available and the Habicht 8X30 M black leatherette armored binocular runs about $1K new on the bay, the Nikon EIIs do appear to still be a great value in high quality optics. Since I already have in my optic arsenal the wonderful "Habicht Waterproof W GA" porro, find keeping the EIIs in use, in my region of the globe, is an issue that I don't need to face. Alas, I'm not in 100% due to this only issue I could find! However, if Nikon ever introduced an EIII that preserved the handling and optics of the EII and offered full environmental exposure protection, now That would be a Big Deal!!

Ted
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Nikon EII, Swaro Habicht, Leupold Yosemite 8X30s.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	525.6 KB
ID:	657448  Click image for larger version

Name:	Nikon EII, Swaro Habicht, Leupold Yosemite 8X30s-2.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	606.4 KB
ID:	657449  

Last edited by Theo98 : Thursday 29th March 2018 at 15:58.

Old Wednesday 28th March 2018, 18:15   #24
paddy7

On my limited outings with the EII so far, i think i'm with you on all that you said. I can't compare them to a Habicht as i've never looked through one, but at the price, these are certainly very special. The first day, which was almost universal cloud but fairly bright, i could induce CA in bare twigs in tree tops, but only at the periphery. The next day (shorter trip) with less cloud, it was hardly noticeable and certainly not at the sweet spot.
My overall impression, having been deprived of porro views for some time, is of a naturalness - like you've just amplified your eyes, retaining that depth and 3D experience. I'm going to do my comparison to the M7 8x30 at some time, which i suppose is the modern, roof successor in portability, size etc.
Basically love it, but will only go out with it in the right conditions.
Old Thursday 29th March 2018, 15:25   #25
Theo98
Eurasian Goldfinch
BF Supporter 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy7 View Post
On my limited outings with the EII so far, i think i'm with you on all that you said...these are certainly very special...Basically love it, but will only go out with it in the right conditions.
PS,

Yep, Everything I've read\heard about them is accurate. If I didn't already own the Swaro Porros I have, I would have keep the EIIs in a safe place and used them cautiously and with TLC in the great outdoors...but that's just Me!

Ted

Last edited by Theo98 : Thursday 29th March 2018 at 15:59.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: