• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Nest box mystery (1 Viewer)

dragnil

The glass is half full, but the bottle is empty.
United Kingdom
We've enjoyed a camera-box for about five years now. It has been occupied every year and still gives us the best programmes on the TV.
When purchased it had three aluminium plates so we could choose the target species and we opted for Blue Tit as the most appealing of the common garden birds.
In year three, at the beginning of the season, I could clearly hear a pecking sound in the box, even though I was indoors and on the TV I could just see frantic activity in the entrance hole. This was repeated in year four but not this year - probably a new bird.
OK, getting to the point, I took off the front panel and you can see how much wood has been removed and this is the mystery to me. Enlarging the entrance hole would serve no useful purpose and would make it easier for predators to get in. Of course, the aluminium plate prevented this but why should the bird try to do this?
This year, no chipping, first egg on 12 April and this morning she's brooding and being fed by an attentive male.

Attachments

• External.jpg
    External.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 10
  • Internal.jpg
    Internal.jpg
    313.5 KB · Views: 19
my first thought was it is not uncommon for great spotted woodpeckers to attack nest boxes in this way to predate on the eggs/fledgelings. however, from the picture the damage appears to be from the inside so it does indeed seem a strange behaviour

Yes, Paul, it's been done by a Blue Tit from the inside - dreaming of growing up into a GSW perhaps? Good thing it's not a concrete next box. Interesting that this seems to be very uncommon.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back