Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Magnifying the passion for nature. Zeiss Victory Harpia 95. New!

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Meopta 8x32

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 4.33 average.
Old Friday 19th September 2008, 23:21   #26
FrankD

I am working on it. My initial source dried up but I am in the process of trying to get my hands on one from another reliable source. ;-)
Old Tuesday 30th September 2008, 10:46   #27
NoSpringChicken

Has anyone had a chance to see or try the Meostart 8x32 yet? In the UK Sherwoods are now showing them on their website. The specs are FOV 138m, close focus 1.7m, weight 598g. Price 545. That all sounds rather impressive.

For some reason they do not appear to be listed yet on Meopta's website.

Ron

BF Supporter 2010 2011 2012 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Tuesday 30th September 2008, 22:30   #28
FrankD

I know of one person who has had a chance to wrap his hands around them....no, it isn't me though I am eagerly awaiting the opportunity.

Old Wednesday 22nd October 2008, 00:21   #29
APSmith

Meopta 8x32 IN STOCK!

According to Eagle Optics and Cabelas websites, this long-awaited model is now available.

It could be a near equivalent of an 8x30 SLC, BUT with the focus knob in the conventional location - that would be a really tempting model at $800.

APS
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2008, 00:23   #30
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
BF Supporter 2018

I want that. What do I have to pawn?

Next one down from that is I guess
http://www.eagleoptics.com/index.asp?pid=5268
or Pentax?
No Vortex 8x32 in that category yet.

Last edited by Tero : Wednesday 22nd October 2008 at 00:28.

BF Supporter 2005 2006 2007 2018 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Wednesday 22nd October 2008, 01:42   #31
FrankD

Tero,

It looks like I am going to get to evaluate one some time in the next two weeks.

I cannot wait. This should be a wonderful little model by all accounts. The problem though is that if I like it and eventually want to buy one then I am going to have to sell the Zeiss FL.

;-)
Old Wednesday 22nd October 2008, 01:50   #32
Kevin Purcell

Tero: Last time I checked BH had a second hand Kowa BD 8x32 Binocular for $289 ...

That Meopta looks interesting. Anyone going to jump on that one? FrankD, perhaps? Though he is cutting back

EDIT: Ah, I see Frank is interested!
Old Tuesday 4th November 2008, 07:18   #33
Jaeger70

Meopta 8x32

An associate for a well known optics retailer here in the States very recently offered me an opinion of the Meopta 8x32: Fantastic ergonomics, but less than stellar optics. According to the associate, the Pentax ED offers better optics for about the same money.

Of course, opinions can vary widely, however, I have often concurred with this particular retailer's opinions over the years.

I'll likely take a peek through the little Meoptas soon. It is, however, rather disappointing to learn that it is quite likely not up to expectation.

Last edited by Jaeger70 : Tuesday 4th November 2008 at 07:20. Reason: typo
Old Tuesday 4th November 2008, 13:37   #34
OwenM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaeger70 View Post
According to the associate, the Pentax ED offers better optics for about the same money.

Of course, opinions can vary widely, however, I have often concurred with this particular retailer's opinions over the years.

I'll likely take a peek through the little Meoptas soon. It is, however, rather disappointing to learn that it is quite likely not up to expectation.
Guess that doesn't hurt my feelings too much. I was looking forward to the Meoptas, and had thought that I might sell my Pentax 8x32 DCF EDs to help finance that purchase...but the more I use them, the more I like them(plus I got a new strap and rainguard for them just yesterday!).

Based on the 10x42, I thought perhaps the Meopta would offer a flatter field at the expense of a little center sharpness, and hopefully have the same level of contrast, even if there was more CA. The Meoptas also seemed to have better brightness and contrast when looking into heavily wooded areas. I'd still like to try the 8x32. "Better" might be a relative thing, after all.
Old Tuesday 4th November 2008, 17:36   #35
a.z

J am owner the Celestrona the Noble 8x42 and such there different. I in frames upgreatu of my binoculars decided to buy something : better , smaller, from larger field of sight but without exaggeration with price . Arduous were search and not easy . It on end set on new Votrexa Fury6,5 x32 or 8x32 , rather in side 6,5 x32 with attention on probably larger depth of sharpness . The decision set almost when it turned out ,that the Vortexy are not such small at all ( they are almost how the monarchs 8x42 , they are "plastic" how the majority of binoculars from this shelf and their price level shows on quality the same what my Noble) . In principle nobody apart from "three" and Nikon has not product 8x32 from angle of sight 8' . It turned out then ,that Meopta begins production 8x32 and , that I had to deal with with her with larger products this very interesting gave. Decision take OK and I bought her.
And what ..., very small binoculars and very shapely , outside appearance and finish three classes better from Noble czy Monacha , completely different shelf , solid metal body. Optical properties : the very wide field of sight , almost 8' that is 139m, as I for comparison looking through Noble 6,5' this so as would look it pushes from key the little hole , and graphically by 6,5' to be visible in building two windows near and near 8' three windows in field of sight , then it gives to thinking. Sharpness OK , star OK. It is very bright , tested in two person when darkness time porro Berkut 7x50, Noble 8x42 and Meopta 8x32 and Berkut came off first ,we could not decide with :Noble or Meoptą so near this 32mm with optical efficiency has to be Ok and necessity of pulling block 42mm under sign question stands up. Eye relief is 15 mm ,that the whole field of sight in glasses hugs calmly so OK , moreover sie do not create no faint lights and circles . The aberation on edges minimum , smaller a lot of than in Noble . Meopta is devoid dispensation what almost it is super , Noble unfortunately not . So the most important np. for birders, the once put sharpness, has the great great depth of sharpness and the end of rotating, all so from 18m to sharp infinities , in Noble unfortunately not , we should screw tight and this pisses off . The knob of sharpness walks heavily and whole has required 3 turns on passage for 1,8 m to infinity OK and it irritated a bit me this but this better in field test turned out than the same from Noble ( it walks lightly and it has only 1,25 turn ). You in Meopcie sharpness set only once and end , alone you oneself it will not turn with case , and this knob is very precise and you catch sharpness more quickly than in Noble, interesting . Painting ..., I had not from binoculars the special comparative contact with "three" but if someone writes that the binoculars like Noble have the painting little running away this it passes with truth probably , the Meopta is not with this three but the painting from Noble is beeeeter , which I was satisfied near direct comparison so far very it seems to be how dull and dont show the three - dimensionality the and value of objects , in total heavily this to to describe but after looking by Meoptę , the considerable want leaves the Noble....
Then so many with first impressions
Old Tuesday 4th November 2008, 17:45   #36
a.z

J am owner the Celestron the Noble 8x42 and such there different. I in frames upgreatu of my binoculars decided to buy something : better , smaller, from larger field of sight but without exaggeration with price . Arduous were search and not easy . It on end set on new Votrexa Fury6,5 x32 or 8x32 , rather in side 6,5 x32 with attention on probably larger depth of sharpness . The decision set almost when it turned out ,that the Vortexy are not such small at all ( they are almost how the monarchs 8x42 , they are "plastic" how the majority of binoculars from this shelf and their price level shows on quality the same what my Noble) . In principle nobody apart from "three" and Nikon has not product 8x32 from angle of sight 8' . It turned out then ,that Meopta begins production 8x32 and , that I had to deal with with her with larger products this very interesting gave. Decision take OK and I bought her.
And what ..., very small binoculars and very shapely , outside appearance and finish three classes better from Noble czy Monacha , completely different shelf , solid metal body. Optical properties : the very wide field of sight , almost 8' that is 139m, as I for comparison looking through Noble 6,5' this so as would look it pushes from key the little hole , and graphically by 6,5' to be visible in building two windows near and near 8' three windows in field of sight , then it gives to thinking. Sharpness OK , star OK. It is very bright , tested in two person when darkness time porro Berkut 7x50, Noble 8x42 and Meopta 8x32 and Berkut came off first ,we could not decide with :Noble or Meoptą so near this 32mm with optical efficiency has to be Ok and necessity of pulling block 42mm under sign question stands up. Eye relief is 15 mm ,that the whole field of sight in glasses hugs calmly so OK , moreover sie do not create no faint lights and circles . The aberation on edges minimum , smaller a lot of than in Noble . Meopta is devoid dispensation what almost it is super , Noble unfortunately not . So the most important np. for birders, the once put sharpness, has the great great depth of sharpness and the end of rotating, all so from 18m to sharp infinities , in Noble unfortunately not , we should screw tight and this pisses off . The knob of sharpness walks heavily and whole has required 3 turns on passage for 1,8 m to infinity OK and it irritated a bit me this but this better in field test turned out than the same from Noble ( it walks lightly and it has only 1,25 turn ). You in Meopcie sharpness set only once and end , alone you oneself it will not turn with case , and this knob is very precise and you catch sharpness more quickly than in Noble, interesting . Painting ..., I had not from binoculars the special comparative contact with "three" but if someone writes that the binoculars like Noble have the painting little running away this it passes with truth probably , the Meopta is not with this three but the painting from Noble is beeeeter , which I was satisfied near direct comparison so far very it seems to be how dull and dont show the three - dimensionality the and value of objects , in total heavily this to to describe but after looking by Meoptę , the considerable want leaves the Noble....
Then so many with first impressions
Old Sunday 9th November 2008, 13:03   #37
OwenM

Cabela's now lists a 10x32 version as one of their Euro models, at $50 less than the 8x32.
It has a 375ft FOV!
Old Tuesday 11th November 2008, 00:01   #38
FrankD

Yes Owen, I saw that too. Pretty impressive. I am still waiting for the local Cabelas to get either of the 32 mm models in.
Old Tuesday 11th November 2008, 01:16   #39
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
BF Supporter 2018

My Cabelas does not get anything like that. It is a smaller store in a mall. They do have a couple of alpha brands. The Cabelas brands are the Alaskan Guides only.

Old Sunday 7th December 2008, 18:21   #40
OwenM

Still waiting on a chance to check these out, so obviously these are not my pics. I found them on an ebay auction.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6c4e_12.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	171532  Click image for larger version

Name:	68b4_12.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	21.2 KB
ID:	171533  Click image for larger version

Name:	6574_12.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	23.8 KB
ID:	171534  
Old Sunday 7th December 2008, 20:54   #41
Steve C

I came across one of these in the Cabela's in Post Falls, Idaho yesterday. The price tag was $799. They also had Swarovski 8x32 EL, 8x30 SLC, Zeiss 8x32 FL and Leica 8x32 Ultravid HD. While I prefer the open bridge EL in pure ergonomics terms, the image differences are pretty slim, if in fact they exist in a practical sense. The Meopta 8x32 had a more or less Leica like image, for lack of a better term. Didn't appear as bright as the Zeiss, and maybe a touch more neutral than the Swarovski, particularly the SLC. The image appeared more neutral in color bias than did the 8x42 Meopta. This gave the appearance of the x32 being a tad brighter and maybe a tad sharper than its x42 big brother. I actually prefer the feel of the x32 over the x42 Meopta. I'm a little ambivalent over the design of the diopter, but for the price, for a top end compact glass the little Meopta is where I'd go.

As far as the ergonomics are concerned, I could live with any of them, but find I least prefer the front location of the focus wheel on the SLC. But were I to win one in a raffle, I'd be content with any. It does seem to me the Zeiss especially, and to a smaller extent the Leica, could do a better job of a less "slick" exterior. The Meopta was nicely tactile and pleasantly "grippy" in texture and feel. Looks and feels about like a smaller version of the x42 Meostar or Cabelas Euro (as if that should be a surprise from looking at the photos).

"Do what you can, where you are, with what you have" Teddy Roosevelt.

Last edited by Steve C : Sunday 7th December 2008 at 21:07.

BF Supporter 2009 Support BirdForum With A Donation

Old Sunday 7th December 2008, 21:26   #42
Kevin Purcell

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwenM View Post
Still waiting on a chance to check these out, so obviously these are not my pics. I found them on an ebay auction.
Ouch!

It's got binocular pox.

I thought they'd contained that disease that after Swift released the roof prism Ultralites. Of course in that case it came in three strains (blue, green and grey).

http://www.betterviewdesired.com/ima...ite_detail.jpg

I think I prefer the Zeiss binocular welts to the pox.
Old Sunday 7th December 2008, 22:05   #43
Tero
Master Naturalist, NE
BF Supporter 2018

yes, some reverse dimples would be good, not sticking out

Old Tuesday 17th February 2009, 00:10   #44
charlotte1234

Hi I have tried the Meopta 8x32 it can really hold its own against other European brands and comes in to its own in low light levels with the coatings they have used.
Old Wednesday 18th February 2009, 22:13   #45
FrankD

I could not agree more. In just about every sense I thought the Meopta was directly comparable to the little Swaro EL.....but at about half the price.

I have my hands on the big 8x56 at the moment...and what a performer that is. It is, arguably, the best edge sharpness performer I have ever had the privelege of trying.
Old Wednesday 25th February 2009, 19:27   #46
MattX

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankD View Post
I could not agree more. In just about every sense I thought the Meopta was directly comparable to the little Swaro EL.....but at about half the price.

I have my hands on the big 8x56 at the moment...and what a performer that is. It is, arguably, the best edge sharpness performer I have ever had the privelege of trying.
I had the Meopta 8x56 a while ago, but sold it because I wanted something lighter in weight.

I now have the Zeiss FL 8x42 and a Swarovski EL 8.5x42.

For my eyes this binocular was simply the best. Color tint was a bit yellow though.
Edge sharpness and flare suppression was the best I have ever seen in a binocular.

Also the view is so relaxing.

I wonder is there another 42 binocular out there which delivers a similar image as the Meopta 8x56?

I have never looked thru other Meopta binoculars except the 8x56.

Do the Chinese ED binoculars perform similar to the 8x56 Meopta?
Old Wednesday 25th February 2009, 20:44   #47
Steve C

In the comparisons I have done, the 43mm Chinese ED binoculars are on a par with the 42mm Meopta as far as the image alone is concerned. The major difference is that the Meopta has a slightly yellowish color bias.

But add enough glass to build a 56mm, and I think the only logical assumption would be that the 56mm Meopta would show clear brightness advantage and should also have an edge in resolving power. The Chinese ED class does not come in anything larger than the 42-43mm objective size, so you can not do a comparison from a level playing field.

Old Thursday 26th February 2009, 00:08   #48
FrankD

Steve's comments are pretty much spot on. The 56 mm Meopta is noticeably brighter. Resolution is excellent but I have not really done a side by side to see which offers noticeably better resolution.

...still the edge sharpness and overall low levels of distortion are something to brag about. There is some color fringing in the outer part of the image but a good 2/3rds of the image is free from it. With the field flattener/edge sharpness combination the image is simply outstanding overall but especially relaxing as well.

This is a superb optical instrument if size is not a concern.

I also have the 2x booster in my possession. When you mate it with the 56 mm scope you basically have a very nice low powered scope. Image quality with the booster is surprising good. The image is a little softer and, of course, a little dimmer but edge sharpness is even better than without the booster and the overall quality of the image is much better than what I expected.
Old Thursday 26th February 2009, 01:19   #49
MattX

Thanks for your opinion, guys!

Which 42 binocular offers a similar, relaxing image like the 8x56 Meopta?

Frank, you said you own a 8x42 Meopta, how does it compare?

I have the Zeiss 8x42 and recently bought a Swarovski EL 8.5X42.

But both the Zeiss and the Swarovski do not have that relaxing image like the Meopta 8X56 had.

Matt.
Old Friday 27th February 2009, 00:38   #50
Steve C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattX View Post
But both the Zeiss and the Swarovski do not have that relaxing image like the Meopta 8X56 had.

Matt.
Matt,

I suscpect your eyes have told you something you probably should pay attention to. Sometimes when we find something that fits us we ought to quit looking and just go out and enjoy the world.

Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: