• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Mallorca 2019 (5 Viewers)

Thanks Mark
I really should have gone to evening classes for computer skills.
Mike Swiss has taken up the cause which must be a challenge for him.
Mike.

Mike, to attach link to another page:
Start your message in Birdforum
Open a 2nd tab and go to the website and page you want to link, highlight the website address, right click and copy address.
Go back to your message in the 1st tab, right click in the message and paste. The address should appear. Make sure there is a space at either end of the address. When you post the message the link should become active.
Mark

Hi Pere

I don't have a list of records (they are possibly with Nick, I'll check) but I do know that we (TAIB) did some work on the shrews in s'Albufera (both trapping and examining owl pellets) after there appearred to be a bit of a population explosion. From memory, there were at least two species involved.

Best wishes

Martin
Muchas gracias Martín, always very helpful. I thought there must have been previous records by TAIB group. In fact some other individuals have been found in Pollença area in the last three years. Certainly, very little is know about status and distribution of both species on the island.
Thanks again

A rather windy and grey Bocquer valley this morning produced good views of 1 Balearic Warbler ( after a long wait !) , Nightingale, Redstart, Peregrine, and a Cirl Bunting in 2 hours - felt a bit quiet migrant wise !

Chris

Hi I will be arriving on the island on Saturday for the week with the family and cant wait, does anyone know if there are any Flamingos around s'Albufera at the moment? The kids really want to see them, also any sightings of Scops owls around Pollenca?
Thanks

Hi Benjamin. I have seen a few Flamingoes at both s’Albufera and Albufereta recently. I think the latter is the best bet. There is a new hide that has been constructed and good views can be had from there.
Alternatively, close views can also be had at the salt pans in the south if you are going to venture that far.
Good luck and do let us know what you see,
Mike

Attachments

• FAE7DEDE-1137-4B86-90BB-9F5F2BC7F3E0.jpg
    FAE7DEDE-1137-4B86-90BB-9F5F2BC7F3E0.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 26
I think this is the 4th day in a row I've stood on our balcony overlooking the neighbouring garden for half hour in the morning and seen a different set of birds. Love migration!

The Pied Flycatcher and Redstart had disappeared but 2 new for the trip appeared, a single Spotted Flycatcher and a pair of Whinchat.

A run through the local wooded area again produced at least 7 Hoopoe together and a single Woodchat Shrike.

At the hotel this afternoon and very windy here so not expecting much over.

Nige

Hi Benjamin. We saw one at Es Cibollar on Tues at Albufera. At the centre they said they are normally at the other end. We have not seen it since.

Tom

Very high winds here in the south but I’m not sure how the weather was in the north.
Phil had a good day at Albufera and the depuradora. Sand Martin, Garganey and Red-rumped Swallow at the dep, a Red-footed falcon over Sa Roca hide, Glossy ibis, Wheatear and Collared pratincole.
Other reports today have been Red-throated pipit and Wood warblers.
Also four Greater Flamingoes from Es Colombards.
Mike

Heading back out on 28 April for 10 days and staying in Port de Pollenca again. It looks like things are getting interesting and i'm really looking forward to it. Planning on visiting all of the usual haunts in the north and making a trip to the salt pans and Cap de ses Salines in the south. Not long now!!
David

Very high winds here in the south but I’m not sure how the weather was in the north. Mike

Hi Mike

I guessed as much.

A friend ran a moth trap for a couple of hours near you (P. N. Mondragó) and got no moths at all. Probably a combination of high winds and bright moonlight - not the best conditions.

Martin

Didn't expect any more trip ticks on our way to the airport but a stop off at Bellver Castle gave me a couple of Long-tailed Tit.

Lots of warblers and Firecrest too, worth having a good look through if anyone's local to Palma.

Booted Eagle just flown over too.

Nige

Last edited:
Last couple of days have been quite hard work with the weather . Maybe Ive been lucky in past 10 or so Springs but can't recall a period like this. However , had a few bits:

Yesterday went to Soller and en route back stopped at Cuber - very cold & windy and swathed in low cloud, so not much moving about but did have 10 Crossbill in the trees, and single Black Vulture.

This morning Can Cuarassa road had 6 Spotless Starling, Osprey , 2 low Purple Heron, a bright male Whinchat and pulses of Swallows through. Stopped briefly at Llennaire and among several common Kestrel had a good candidate for Lesser Kestrel but quite distant. Will pop back & look again later - also Red Kite.

Chris

Hello!
Just remind you the Coffee-talk this afternoon (3.30pm), done by an expert in the Kentish Plover, Pere Garcías.

Attachments

• xerrada-cafè charadriusANG.jpg
    xerrada-cafè charadriusANG.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 9
Wind alert

Hello again, today due to the strong wind some trees have fallen along the Tramuntana Road between Sóller and Lluc. As far I know part of that road is closed.
Be careful and specially in the coastal areas.

Also, been meaning to ask..where is best place for Balearic Warblers in North of Island this spring - is the 'usual' pair present far end of Bocquer ?
Hello Chris! a bit late answer, sorry.
Another site where I have seen well the Balearic Warbler is the surroundings of the old military buildings before arriving to the Albercutx Tower.
Regards,
Cristina.

I just found a Spanish Sparrow at Cases Velles! Quite a rarity in Mallorca, the last sighting was in 1993 and there have only been 2 records in total. Dani and Pep managed to take some better photos. We then realized it was not only one but two different birds!

Martin

Attachments

• 4EDB48CC-C6F6-4E4A-AEB1-44259906538D.jpeg
    4EDB48CC-C6F6-4E4A-AEB1-44259906538D.jpeg
    458.8 KB · Views: 70
Hello Chris! a bit late answer, sorry.
Another site where I have seen well the Balearic Warbler is the surroundings of the old military buildings before arriving to the Albercutx Tower.
Regards,
Cristina.

Thank you Cristina

by the way, Casas Velles is on the road to Formentor isn't it???

Today,
Boquer Valley - Montagu's harrier (subadult male), whinchat 3, whitethroat 5-6, wood warbler
Son Bosc 9Depuradora) - slender-billed gull, pied flycatcher, spotted flycatcher, whinchat 2
Tucan Marsh - squacco heron, little bittern (male)

some sightings over the past few days (lack of internet access)

16 April
Isla Dragonera - Balearic warbler (several), redstart (7), wheatear, Balearic shearwater
Can Cullerasa - spotless starling (2), whinchat (8)

17 April
Pollentia roman town - brambling (1 female - very late, but clearly seen with flock of serin), tree sparrow (5-6)
Villa near Pollenca - cuckoo, bee-eater (12)
Ses Silenes (old saltpans, S'Albufera) - marbled duck (7)

18 April
S'Albufera: ringed plover (Cibollar), glossy ibis, marbled duck (2), wood sandpiper (2) at sa Roca

19 April
Salobrar de Campos saltpans - lapwing (1)

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back