• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Sony V1 for digiscoping (1 Viewer)

WalMart sells them. Go to the sporting goods department and look for the daisy display --- pellets, scopes, bb guns etc. They should have them. About 8.95.

Joe

cthomas said:
Jay where did you find the Daisy LED sight? At what distances can you use it at?

Very nice pictures.

Carl

yossi said:
Thanks for the answers. A couple more questions please:
1. What in your opinion is the maximal focal length - while still outputting reasonable quality, of the following scopes: SW80HD, SW65HD, Leica Apo 62 and Nikon FSIIIED?
2. Can you elaborate more on the Olympus 5060? I saw some pictures (not digiscoped) out of this camera, and they are very good - sharpness is great and the noise level at ISO64, despite the small sensor, is quite low.
Thanks

Sorry for not responding. Somehow I missed this post.

1. As a general rule, I don't suggest using a combo on a top notch 80mm scope that goes much over 3000mm. This would be with a 4MP camera. If you start increasing the megapixels or decreasing the scope aperture, then you should reduce the overall magnification correspondingly. You CAN get more detail with greater magnification, but magnification seems to increase more rapidly than the detail. So if you shot at 6000mm equivalence, you don't get twice the detail, but get maybe 25-50% more detail and a narrower view. But if you want to have all the pixels relatively sharp, stay below 3000mm total equivalence - closer to 2000mm is even better.

2. Not really. I haven't used it and I've only seen web-sized images. Ooi Beng Yean reports that it has a non-vignetting range similar to the standard Coolpixes.
He is using a custom adapter made by Mr. Cheang. And if Ooi Beng Yean says that the images are sharp, then I'm inclined to believe him.

cthomas said:
Jay where did you find the Daisy LED sight? At what distances can you use it at?
Carl

Just about any distance. The further off axis the sight is from the scope, the more you will have a parallax issue as the distance changes from where you sighted it in. I usually sight it in for around 50-75 feet and that works out very well.

I bought mine right where Joe suggested - Walmart.

It looks like the mounting brackets come with the sight and you just fasten that to the peep sight on the HD scope. Would it work to sight it in for 100-150 feet?

Carl

Jay Turberville said:
Just about any distance. The further off axis the sight is from the scope, the more you will have a parallax issue as the distance changes from where you sighted it in. I usually sight it in for around 50-75 feet and that works out very well.

I bought mine right where Joe suggested - Walmart.

cthomas said:
It looks like the mounting brackets come with the sight and you just fasten that to the peep sight on the HD scope. Would it work to sight it in for 100-150 feet?

Carl

The sight is made to mount to a dovetail mount. I took threaded rod , a mild aluminum strip and some epoxy to turn the peep sight into something that the Daisy sight could clamp too. These images should help clarify. This pretty much ruins the Swaro peep sight. My assumption is it is relatively inexpensive to replace, but I really don't know.

http://www.jayandwanda.com/swaro/DaisySwaro1.jpg
http://www.jayandwanda.com/swaro/DaisySwaro2.jpg
http://www.jayandwanda.com/swaro/DaisySwaro3.jpg

You should set the sight up for whatever distance you expect to be shooting at. I choose around 50 feet because that is how close I hope to be. The shift due to different distances isn't really that great so the distance you choose is not that critical.

The sight shifts a little in its mounting slot. I will be adding some thin cardboard or something similar on my next outing to keep the sight more snuggly pressed into its slot.

Jay Turberville said:
The sight is made to mount to a dovetail mount. I took threaded rod , a mild aluminum strip and some epoxy to turn the peep sight into something that the Daisy sight could clamp too. These images should help clarify. This pretty much ruins the Swaro peep sight. My assumption is it is relatively inexpensive to replace, but I really don't know.

http://www.jayandwanda.com/swaro/DaisySwaro1.jpg
http://www.jayandwanda.com/swaro/DaisySwaro2.jpg
http://www.jayandwanda.com/swaro/DaisySwaro3.jpg

The sight shifts a little in its mounting slot. I will be adding some thin cardboard or something similar on my next outing to keep the sight more snuggly pressed into its slot.

Thanks for the images they do help. So did you use the epoxy to attach your mount to the peep sight? Also I'm using the Swarovski Digital Camera Adapter and just looking at my scope it looks like the sight might hit it. Although I can see through the peep sight ok.

If this is a better set up you wouldn't need to replace the peep sight.

Carl

cthomas said:
Thanks for the images they do help. So did you use the epoxy to attach your mount to the peep sight? Also I'm using the Swarovski Digital Camera Adapter and just looking at my scope it looks like the sight might hit it. Although I can see through the peep sight ok.

If this is a better set up you wouldn't need to replace the peep sight.

Carl

A piece of threaded rod was used to hold the assembly together. But I couldn't figure out an easy way to keep the mount from pivoting around the threaded rod. So I just punted and used the epoxy.

The sight clears the DCA and 20-60x zoom lens just fine.

http://www.jayandwanda.com/swaro/DaisySight.jpg

If the peep sight works for you, then it may not be worth bothering with the Daisy or similar sight. I found the peep sight virtually useless. But I'm farsighted and that may affect its utility. I find it very easy to keep both eyes open while comfortably aiming with the Daisy sight.

Jay Turberville said:
A piece of threaded rod was used to hold the assembly together. But I couldn't figure out an easy way to keep the mount from pivoting around the threaded rod. So I just punted and used the epoxy.

The sight clears the DCA and 20-60x zoom lens just fine.

http://www.jayandwanda.com/swaro/DaisySight.jpg

If the peep sight works for you, then it may not be worth bothering with the Daisy or similar sight. I found the peep sight virtually useless. But I'm farsighted and that may affect its utility. I find it very easy to keep both eyes open while comfortably aiming with the Daisy sight.

I think using the Dasiy will be much easier and faster. As you know when you are trying to get a bird picture being able to sight in on them is very important. Sometimes I think they know when you are just ready to push the shutter button and fly a way smiling.

So the threded rod goes through the peep sight. What size rod? And so just ask for epoxy?

Carl

cthomas said:

Carl

Carl, Here's another way to go. It works really well for me. The cable ties can be tightened down to the point it where it would take a good lick to move the sight. The sight sure does speed up the process of getting a bird lined up in the scope.

Good luck,

Joe

Attachments

• ledsight.jpg
    ledsight.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 110
Joe A. said:
Carl, Here's another way to go. It works really well for me. The cable ties can be tightened down to the point it where it would take a good lick to move the sight. The sight sure does speed up the process of getting a bird lined up in the scope.

Good luck,

Joe

Good idea Joe. I like that.

What is that, I see in your picture, you are using for a cushion? And how did you get the straps through the Dasiy?

You know putting these improvements on our scopes they will not fit back into the hard case. Or at least mine won't. How many of you use the hard case for your scope or even a soft cover? I tend to leave mine on the tripod all the time.

Carl

Last edited:
Hi Carl,

"..What is that, I see in your picture, you are using for a cushion?"

Just pieces of rubber. They not only protect the scope's surface, but allow you to really tighten the cable ties.

"... And how did you get the straps through the Dasiy?" Just remove the two clamps that come on the sight and then run the cable ties through the holes the clamp screws formerly went through. This means you need the most narrow cable ties available.

".. How many of you use the hard case for your scope or even a soft cover? I tend to leave mine on the tripod all the time."

Same here.

Joe

Carl[/QUOTE]

Last edited:
Joe does your scope have an angled eye piece or is it stright? Mine is angled like Jay's.

Carl

Joe A. said:
Hi Carl,

"..What is that, I see in your picture, you are using for a cushion?"

Just pieces of rubber. They not only protect the scope's surface, but allow you to really tighten the cable ties.

"... And how did you get the straps through the Dasiy?" Just remove the two clamps that come on the sight and then run the cable ties through the holes the clamp screws formerly went through. This means you need the most narrow cable ties available.

".. How many of you use the hard case for your scope or even a soft cover? I tend to leave mine on the tripod all the time."

Same here.

Joe

Carl
[/QUOTE]

cthomas said:
Joe does your scope have an angled eye piece or is it stright? Mine is angled like Jay's.

Carl

Mine is straight. If your angled eyepiece would block you from viewing through the Daisy sight with it on top of the scope, perhaps you could attach it to the side of the scope.

Joe
[/QUOTE]

V1 & SW80HD & 30xSW - HOW?

Please

I just got my V1 and like to use it together with my Swarovski SW80HD & 30xSW.

How?
Adapters/Converters/Tips/Tricks etc...

Peter

Korpen said:
Please

I just got my V1 and like to use it together with my Swarovski SW80HD & 30xSW.

How?
Adapters/Converters/Tips/Tricks etc...

Peter

Although this camera is on my 'short-list' I haven't looked into what is required for fixing it to a scope.

It does have a filter-adapter available as an optional extra which would fit to one of the proprietory digiscoping adapters via 'step-up' or 'step-down' rings.

However, this would increase the distance between the front of the lens and the eyepiece glass which may worsen any vignetting present.

To check for vignetting just hold the camera to the eyepiece and see how much vignetting you get as you zoom up towards the telephoto end of the lens. The vignetting may (or may not!) reduce or disappear whilst you do this.

To reduce the amount of vignetting that may be present when using an adapter, there are some types available that are a sort of 'L'-shaped device, allowing adjustments in two directions so that you can slide the camera forward until it almost comes into contact with the eyepiece - I'm not sure what is available, locally, to you, though.

I've found that, with my S85 model (which suffers quite a lot of vignetting), with a lot of practice and a reasonable shutter-speed, I can get acceptably sharp images just by holding the camera right up to the scope - check out most of my bird photos in my gallery at: http://www.birdforum.net/pp_gallery/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1805

By switching to 3-megapixel resolution the V1 has the option of zooming up to 5.1x in 'smart zoom' mode without using 'interpolation' so this is another option to try on this model.

Please let us know how you get on and how you find this camera regarding vignetting, eas of use, etc.

Adey

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back