• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Republic of Macedonia. Anyone know it? (1 Viewer)

MacHector

Hi All

I have the chance to do a short birding trip to the Republic of Macedonia in January. The internet does not provide any info about the Republic of Macedonia, particularly since all searches generate info about the region of Macedonia in Northern Greece. Does anyone have any good tips for Macedonian winter birding. Ideally I would like to find a winter site for Dalmatian Pelicans if there is one.

Many thanks

Andrew

Unfortunately I know diddly-squat about birding there - but it's usually referred to (especially at international political levels) as the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM). Perhaps a few searches under that will give some better information.

David

For pelicans, you have to go to the large border lakes; they breed on islands in big lakes instead of in any small ponds like swans would do.

Macedonia has warmer climate than Serbia but expect some snow, especially in the mountains. There are many mountains of various heights and there are various birds of prey and passerines there (look at the European field guides for southern species creeping up Balkan Peninsula). Check if you can find any vulture feeding site to visit; I heard they have Egyptian and Black Vultures.

In any case, enjoy the visit as a tourist. The cuisine is likely to be excellent and away from cities the pastoral life would be interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back