• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Fast-running bird, KL Malaysia. (1 Viewer)

AntarcticanShrike

What's This?
So I've been birding in the local park for quite some time, and I've never seen this guy till today. I didn't have my camera, but I will do my best to describe it.
- Female tree-sparrow like olivy coloration
- About the size of a yellow-vented bulbul
- Runs alot, about 2m/s is my guess.
- Looked a bit like a female Baya Weaver but has a longer tail (almost the length of the whole body)
- Dark eyestripe, black-brown
- Wings were quite long.
- Forages like a zebra dove.

(edit)
- Colors like a Savi's Warbler
- Thinner than a warbler, very very sparrowlike
- Might be a juvenile white-browed crake (looks like it but has a longer tail, much longer) (http://orientalbirdimages.org/search.php?Bird_Image_ID=124811&Bird_ID=810&Bird_Family_ID=&Location=)

Didn't hear a call.

Last edited:
Common Myna

Fit's the description but can't see how that could be new for him if he's been birding in any KL park for awhile.

So guessing the description is a little off and going with something that does run around a lot and still brown colourations - how about Barred Buttonquail!

Fit's the description but can't see how that could be new for him if he's been birding in any KL park for awhile.

So guessing the description is a little off and going with something that does run around a lot and still brown colourations - how about Barred Buttonquail!

Not brown, olive. When I first saw it I thought it was a female Eurasian tree sparrow or a female Baya weaver without the dark coloration around the wings. But I noticed the tail was about the length of it's own body. I went closer and it started running, lol.

I think I'll take the Paddyfield pipit. It's the closest I've got. I'll go back there tomorrow and see if I can get a picture of it (i.e. if I can locate it, I spent two hours there waiting for it).

I think I'll take the Paddyfield pipit. It's the closest I've got. I'll go back there tomorrow and see if I can get a picture of it (i.e. if I can locate it, I spent two hours there waiting for it).

I've made a stop of 6 hours of birding in KL on my way back from the Philippines, and I've seen many Paddyfield Pipits running on the grass in parks, so I would support that solution indeed.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back