Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2018

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Tuesday 23rd January 2018, 19:19   #76
Mike Montier

A gentle stroll around Son Real with Mike Mc and his wife Susan. I can’t recommend this reserve highly enough, there is such a diverse range of habitat and plenty to see for all the family.
Lots of Hawfinch seen from the hide, a singing Dartford Warbler, Turnstones and many common species too. Nothing of note on the sea but the pies were great. Thanks Mike.
Mike.
Old Wednesday 24th January 2018, 07:27   #77
StewB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
A gentle stroll around Son Real with Mike Mc and his wife Susan. I can’t recommend this reserve highly enough, there is such a diverse range of habitat and plenty to see for all the family.
Lots of Hawfinch seen from the hide, a singing Dartford Warbler, Turnstones and many common species too. Nothing of note on the sea but the pies were great. Thanks Mike.
Mike.
Oh Mike! Dartford warbler, my Mallorca bogey bird! I’ve looked for it on every visit to Son Real (albeit out of the breeding season). So.. where exactly did you have it??????

Stew
Old Wednesday 24th January 2018, 08:36   #78
Mike Montier

Dartford warblers are very tricky as you have discovered! Kevin showed Mike and I a really good patch at Son Real.
Going down through the reserve, right to the coast, there is a viewing platform. Walking just to the east of this, before one of the military towers, is a dip with some very low scrub.
This is the best place we have found for both Balearic and Dartford warblers. They do respond to “phishing” but the problem for many visiting Birders is that they come in April or May when the birds are more difficult or on eggs.
However, Porto Colom is far and away the best place.
Driving through Porto Colom towards the lighthouse, there is a sharp right hand bend by a car park by the boats. This is marked in the “Tourists Guide”. Walk up the gravel track right to the end by the coast, a bay known as “S’Algar”, and both species can be seen in the scrub to your right.
Mike and I had exceptional views recently. The male birds are obviously easier, showing vivid brick-red lower parts and a longer tail.
Hope this helps. Bogey birds are annoying so I hope you connect on your next visit.
Coming out of season is highly recommend but the weather can be nasty as I think you discovered!
The whole Island is a picture at the moment with blossom covering the countryside. It’s a joy to be out walking right now, 22 degrees yesterday and no clouds all day.
Good luck, Mike
Old Wednesday 24th January 2018, 08:51   #79
Mike Montier

Hawfinch from yesterday, another winter bonus. Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	643C27BA-1E21-40F0-B753-0D4C520D590F.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	166.9 KB
ID:	652180  
Old Wednesday 24th January 2018, 09:07   #80
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Awesome..you win..Best Photo of the day..Hope you are not entering the Calander Competition!
Old Wednesday 24th January 2018, 12:32   #81
StewB

Quote:
Dartford warblers are very tricky as you have discovered! Kevin showed Mike and I a really good patch at Son Real.
Going down through the reserve, right to the coast, there is a viewing platform. Walking just to the east of this, before one of the military towers, is a dip with some very low scrub.
This is the best place we have found for both Balearic and Dartford warblers. They do respond to “phishing” but the problem for many visiting Birders is that they come in April or May when the birds are more difficult or on eggs.
However, Porto Colom is far and away the best
Thanks Mike! Mrs B and I have plans for visits in June & September this year - not the best for Dartfords, but I’ll be putting the time in again. I’m working on having a day down in the south east in June, so hopefully I can target Porto Colom (maybe you fancy getting together?).

Stew
Old Wednesday 24th January 2018, 12:52   #82
Mike Montier

That would be great Stew, we are in the United States for the whole of May so June would be perfect. We are here all September too. I look forward to it. Mike
Old Wednesday 24th January 2018, 17:45   #83
Mcnswiss2

Trip up Ternelles Valley

I have wanted to do this trip for a number of years since reading it in Eddie Wilkinsons Booklet of Birding in Mallorca.

The permit is available online - only 20 permits per day!

http://www.ajpollenca.net/ca/contact...ació-ternelles

Here is some of the on going background dispute form TOTN

Ternelles Access - Rumbles On
A new report from the Council of Pollensa has defended the access it manages to the Ternelles estate. The environmental report seeks to demonstrate to the TSJB that the public visits to Cala Castell and other sensitive areas are not harmful to the environment. It also aims to justify the legality of accessing the exclusion areas marked by the Plan for the Regulation of Natural Resources of the Serra de Tramuntana on the Ternelles estate, mainly Cala Castell. The study was handed to the judge to comply with a requirement of the Superior Court of Justice of the Balearic Islands (TSJB).
The different interpretation of the judicial rulings applied by the City Council and Ternelles property implies that both parties try to ensure the management of public visits to the emblematic ‘Pollencina’ estate. The society that manages the ‘possessió’ linked to the March family, already warned a few months ago that from this year authorization for visits would lie with them exclusively, which the council does not accept.
Mayor March explained yesterday that the City continues to manage authorizations for twenty people a day, “In principle everything remains the same, although we have found that the property of the farm wants to open a transition period” to take control of public visits. March considers that Ternelles “is entitled to give permits for guided visits because the farm is his, but the authorization to access the road must be municipal.”

The walk to the gate from Parking at the Roman Bridge ar Park (Field) is about 2 km passing fincas and fields. At the gate is a very helpful guard who takes the permits and provides instructions etc. The walking path is very easy and apparently takes 3 hours to the Castle when open. The gates close at 18.00

The walk is very interesting, past a very nice torrent/stream and excellent oak and olive woods.

Birds seen included Song thrushes, Great and Bluetits( I saw at least 8 blue tits), Firecrests, Grey and white wagtails, Meadow Pipits, Chaffinches and Chiffchaffs, Serins, Blackcaps, Robins, Ravens, Kestrels, Booted Eagles, 3 Griffon Vultures and 4 Black Vultures. The views were distant but the possibility of close fly over is there.

Its a great site and I think in the Spring it must be amazing-With few disturbences from cars, cyclists and people. Eddie was right!
Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 10:11   #84
Mcnswiss2

Nice report on Spanish TV on Nature tourisme and La Gola

Start after 10 mins

http://ib3tv.com/carta?id=f4e025c3-3...TV&t=231&f=878

Spot the dog
Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 16:33   #85
Mike Montier

Thanks for that Mike. A really good bit of publicity, the reserve looked great and Cristina spoke very well.
The star was obviously Kevin. He said all the right things. I will ask for his autograph next time we meet up. Mike
Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 16:45   #86
Mcnswiss2

[quote=Mike Montier;3670161
The star was obviously Kevin. He said all the right things. I will ask for his autograph next time we meet up. Mike[/QUOTE]

Me too..Does he sign cheques?
Old Thursday 25th January 2018, 16:59   #87
Mcnswiss2

Afternoon walk around S’Albuferata Sites.
Birds seen included: Marsh Harriers, BWStilts,Lapwings, Little and Great Egets, Kentish Plovers, Green Sandpiper, Gadwall, Shoverlers, Shellduck, Serins, Goldfinches,Greenfinches, Meadow and Water Pipits, Corn Buntings, Sardinian, Cetti, and fantailed Warblers, RLPartridges and Audouins Gulls.
Highlights were Flamingos(at least 95), Pintails(5), and Water Rails (5 or 6 calling)

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Thursday 25th January 2018 at 17:06.
Old Friday 26th January 2018, 16:43   #88
Mcnswiss2

Mike Montier has given me permission to look after this site while he is away.
Time for us Birders to party and report those rare birds that Mike will miss!

Yesterday the first Black Kite was reported at the Cap Salines. Two Red Kites were also reported.

8 Monk parakeets were reported in the Palma area today.

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Friday 26th January 2018 at 16:51.
Old Friday 26th January 2018, 17:16   #89
Herona

Hi guys,
I so want to return to Alcudia this year and test my fixed 400mm (m43). I was thinking bird migration in Spring but couldn't find anything on birds and their routes. Americans appear to have more websites on migration.
What is the best time to visit Albufera et al. to catch a variety of birds just passing through? I am a litzle obsessed with bee eaters. If only I could ban one on camera.
I am about to book my holidays, a week between April and May 25. ? Which week would you suggest? Thanks.
Old Friday 26th January 2018, 19:34   #90
Mcnswiss2

Hi Herona,
There are a number of websites and groups studing migration pathways in Europe:

http://www.birdlife.org/europe-and-c...d-central-asia
https://www.geog.cam.ac.uk/research/...ahelBirds1.pdf
http://www.seen-net.eu
https://euring.org/research/migration-maps

And an excellent presentation by FAO (more concerned with birdflu concerns!)
http://www.fao.org/avianflu/conferen...er-mundkur.pdf

I will send more info if needed.

The main pathways are well known including those through Spain as well as those through Cyprus and Malta where the birds are still hunted in their thousands despite political pressure etc.
Many birds do migrate during the night to avoid predators etc.

Excellent migration viewing sites in Mallorca as well.

Looking at best time for bee eaters - according to the excellent BBR report Beginning May should be fine. Last year Rollers were also around.

The publication is only 5euros and is In English

https://www.gobmallorca.com/ornito-p...rd-report-2016

I hope this helps

Mike

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Friday 26th January 2018 at 19:41.
Old Saturday 27th January 2018, 13:39   #91
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Wet and windy up North and on the whole island.

Time to sort out Photos.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	28297AE3-DF67-4FD6-AE35-073A7E2F91B6.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	230.9 KB
ID:	652409  
Old Saturday 27th January 2018, 16:43   #92
Herona

Hello Swiss Mike,

thanks a lot for your detailed reply and the links. I much appreciate it!.

BTW, I was looking into going to Malta but then read about the continued hunting and pouching despite European-wide ban. This has totally put me off and Malta will not see me unless they break with their hunting traditions.
Old Saturday 27th January 2018, 16:56   #93
Mcnswiss2

Good decision Herona,
I did go to Malta years ago and was sickened by the lime traps and nets.
Come to Mallorca..The Malloquins are great in conservation and supporting wildlife.
Old Saturday 27th January 2018, 18:04   #94
Mike Montier

I agree with Mike, we are very lucky in Mallorca with so many conservationists here doing great work for wildlife. It’s improving all the time too. There are good people working in Malta as well and things are slowly changing. We all wish more would be done but old traditions sadly don’t die quickly.
Just arrived in sunny Shrewsbury and I’m missing Mallorca already. Take care of the Island and I look forward to the beginning of migration when I get back. Thanks for keeping the thread going Mike and others, it is very dear to me. Mike
Old Saturday 27th January 2018, 18:35   #95
Mcnswiss2

He is alive! Brexit will not stop him..Missing you already
Old Sunday 28th January 2018, 09:32   #96
Mcnswiss2

“[quote=Mike Montier;3671027]I agree with Mike, we are very lucky in Mallorca with so many conservationists here doing great work for wildlife. It’s improving all the time too. There are good people working in Malta as well and things are slowly changing. We all wish more would be done but old traditions sadly don’t die quickly. “

I agree there are changes in Malta and good people there but the Spring hunting of Quails and Turtle Doves is ridiculous and should be stopped. The number of Turtle Doves reaching UK are drastically reduced.

In 2015 there was a referendum in Malta to allow this Spring hunting.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-32239141

Bad things come out of Referendums as we know!
Old Sunday 28th January 2018, 17:14   #97
J Bennett

Hi Guys,
saw a Puffin the other day out fishing, was initially shocked until I found there is a population here!!!!
Bad photo I know, was with the phone.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Puffin, Jan 2018, Cabo Salinas.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	652496  
Old Sunday 28th January 2018, 17:19   #98
J Bennett

Unidentified Bird of Prey

And can anyone name this bird, has been buzzing our house the last few days?Thanks
John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Unidentified bird of prey, Jan 2018.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	652498  
Old Sunday 28th January 2018, 17:24   #99
Mike Montier

John. Puffin is an extreme rarity in Mallorca. Where and when did you see it please? Mike
Old Sunday 28th January 2018, 17:32   #100
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

Mike, in case John doesn't log on for a while, I notice the photo details say January 2018, Cabo Salinas.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: