Join for FREE
It only takes a minute!
Zeiss - Always on the lookout for something special – Shop now

Welcome to BirdForum.
BirdForum is the net's largest birding community, dedicated to wild birds and birding, and is absolutely FREE! You are most welcome to register for an account, which allows you to take part in lively discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.

Mallorca 2018

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Old Sunday 28th January 2018, 17:47   #101
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Bennett View Post
And can anyone name this bird, has been buzzing our house the last few days?Thanks
John
Hi John,

Looks like a Booted Eagle

Cheers

Mike
Old Sunday 28th January 2018, 17:49   #102
Mike Montier

Thanks Richard. Bit of a panic going on as so many Birders need to see Puffin.
I have only ever seen one and I’m probably at the Cap more than anyone. Mike
Old Sunday 28th January 2018, 18:00   #103
Richard Prior
Halfway up an Alp

A bit of a twitch from Shrewsbury though Mike, best let it go
Old Sunday 28th January 2018, 18:24   #104
Mike Montier

Haha, I was thinking about coming back...Pep will be a bit keen to see it.
A bit overboard to say it’s an “extreme rarity” but I’m still in shock. They are very difficult to see with very few reliable records. I hope others manage to see it.
Not sure where the news came that there are others here.
I was at the Cap recently and two visiting birders said they had seen seven Puffins. Turned out to be “puffinus” ie Shearwaters. Mike
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 09:22   #105
Josep Manchado
(Pep)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Montier View Post
Haha, I was thinking about coming back...Pep will be a bit keen to see it.
Mike
Yess! I never have seen it in Majorca, even it is not so extreme rarity on the sea, it is scarce; there are a group of puffins who stay the whole winter on the waters around the islands, but they are so small grups and so away fron the coast.

The very difficult is to see them from the coast, so these next days I will go out in a boat trying to see some on the open sea.

Last edited by Josep Manchado : Monday 29th January 2018 at 13:16.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 10:06   #106
Mike Montier

I hope you are successful Pep, I know how much you want to see one.
There is no doubt that the next day following high winds and storms is the best hope. Birds seek shelter and sometimes move towards the safety of local Calas.
I saw my one and only Puffin the day after a storm. It had been seen by Krister the day before so I got a tip-off.
Good luck to all those trying to connect.
No birds here in Shrewsbury to speak of but a female Merlín up on the moors was a nice bird. Also Red grouse, haven’t seen one of those for years. Mike
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 19:51   #107
Mcnswiss2

On the Puffin Trail - Part1
Wonderful drive from the North to the South of the Island.
The Almonds are in Blossom and spring flowers are blooming.
Saw at least 10 Kestrels on the way.
Stopped at PortoCristo and PortoColom for some sea watching.
Gulls, Gulls, Gulls, Audouin Gulls, Gulls, cormorants, Gulls, Gulls, Audouin Gulls, Gulls, Gulls. Balearic Shearwaters (several batches of upto 6 in each batch), Gulls, Thekla Larks, Sardinian Warblers, did I mention Gulls and 1 Gannet
Tomorrow trying at Mikes Hotspot ..Cap Salinas..Even he saw the Puffin there last year!

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Monday 29th January 2018 at 19:54.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 19:57   #108
Mcnswiss2

A Great Skua was reported at Porto Colom yesterday as well as Balearic Shearwaters and Gannets..
We are on the Trail!

Last edited by Mcnswiss2 : Monday 29th January 2018 at 21:06.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 20:58   #109
J Bennett

Quote:
John. Puffin is an extreme rarity in Mallorca. Where and when did you see it please? Mike
Hi Mike,
in between Cabrera and Cabo Salinas. Initially I thought it was a shark but as I approached he turned to face me. He was full of fish as he was nowhere close to leaving the surface when trying to get away from my boat. I know they are hopeless at flying but even more so when fully fed. Am heading out there manana so will keep my eyes open.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 21:00   #110
J Bennett

Thanks Mike, adding to my catalogue.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 21:55   #111
J Bennett

Puffin

Hi Guys,
I got the info on local Puffin locations from the "A Birding Tourist´s Guide to Mallorca" in the Species list and Status section at the back, it has the Puffins located in Cabrera and Cap de Ses Salines and sure enough that's where he was! But like Pep has mentioned, he was a way off. I was returning from trolling for tuna off the East of Cabrera and spotted him due south of Cap de Ses Salines at 4nm on my way back.
Tomorrow the weather is very similar to when I saw him last week, light winds and little cloud cover so perfect for spotting these types of surface animals. I assume there are a small group living on the east coast of Cabrera, probably on an off lying coastal rock; there are quite a few. I would suggest speaking with the guys on Cabrera who might know where they are. If I get a better photo manana, you guys will be the first to know.

One last thing for tonight, can anyone identify this little fella, he was feeding his chicks in the base of our algarrobo trunk?

P.S. I´ve seen hundreds of Puffins, in Norway, Alaska, Canada and UK so you can count on this as a confirmed sighting, not a shearwater :)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	No se, bird feeding chicks in nest in carob trunk (8).jpg
Views:	36
Size:	135.8 KB
ID:	652633  Click image for larger version

Name:	No se, bird feeding chicks in nest in carob trunk (9).jpg
Views:	26
Size:	94.7 KB
ID:	652634  

Last edited by J Bennett : Monday 29th January 2018 at 22:12.
Old Monday 29th January 2018, 22:16   #112
Mike Montier

Hi John. It’s a Great Tit, feeding chicks seems quite early but many species do begin reproduction at this time.
Thank you for all the information on the Puffin, it’s helps us all learn more about this species in Mallorca.
I didn’t know about a small population of them wintering off Cabrera. I have never heard mention of them by anyone so I assumed there was only the occasional sighting.
The Puffin I saw was flying east.
I think from your description of the location of your bird that it would not have been viewable from the coast.
Many people are now looking so let’s hope one comes a bit closer. Perhaps the locals will organize a boat charter to look for them. I hope so, so long as it’s not before I get back.
Good luck tomorrow, glad we will be the first to know! Mike
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 00:19   #113
Mcnswiss2

Hi John, Mike

I think the Great tit found in Mallorca is a now recognised subspps mallorcae

https://www.hbw.com/ibc/photo/great-...orles-mallorca
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_tit

The birds I have seen have variable colours and several are much paler than those in other parts of Europe.
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 07:09   #114
J Bennett

Thanks Guys, just to confirm the Great Tit photo is from May a few years back, one of my photos I had never had time to identify.
Thanks again
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 07:30   #115
Patrick_m

Another attempt yesterday at locating the Bullfinch in Orient but no such luck.
Instead, a few of the now more common birds with my personal record of 7 Hawfinches in one single tree. Fieldfares and Mistle Thrushes were feeding at their usual spot along with lots of Song thrushes. A cirl bunting and two Dunnocks joined the dozens of Chaffinches and House Sparrows. Two Blue Tits showed up in the trees overhead.
Then 19 Griffons and 4 Black Vultures ended the session.
Mike, The Dunnocks have been in the exact same spot every time I visited (4th now), in case you want to tick it off the list for this year when you return, right by the gate of the finca hotel Son Palou.
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 08:30   #116
Mike Montier

Thanks Patrick. I don’t know what it is with me and Dunnock. I didn’t see one all last year and Mike and I recently went to Son Real where they are plentiful but no joy.
I am planning a trip to Orient as soon as I get back.
It has been a great year for Fieldfare and Mistle Thrush, both of which I saw recently.
Seven Hawfinch together is a great total and maybe a record for a single group here.
Good birding to all, it has certainly been a very productive few weeks so far this year. Just wait until the migration gets under way. Mike
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 15:39   #117
Patrick_m

I hope you get to see the Dunnock and maybe you can add the Bullfinch to the list.
I need to correct my Hawfinch count as I thought some of them were Chaffinches through the binoculars until I inspected the photographs more closely. The count is 11 Hawfinches, not just 7! The attached picture is quite bad given the distance and ambient humidity on the day. So definitely a record for me, considering one of these would have made highlights in a "normal" year. Soon they will compete with the Starlings!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	_D1_7568.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	972.6 KB
ID:	652676  
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 17:23   #118
Mike Montier

That’s a great total Patrick. I’m sure you will be sending the record in to Carles for inclusion in the annual report.
I’m missing Mallorca like mad, especially with all this action. And I used to think winter birding in Mallorca was predictable! Not any more. Mike
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 17:59   #119
Mike Montier

In all the excitement, I forgot to say that on our recent trip to Son Real with Mike and Susan, we saw many butterflies on the wing, Speckled Wood, Small white, some unidentified Blues and a Cleopatra (is that right Mike?)
Mike
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 18:53   #120
Mcnswiss2

Quote:
In all the excitement, I forgot to say that on our recent trip to Son Real with Mike and Susan, we saw many butterflies on the wing, Speckled Wood, Small white, some unidentified Blues and a Cleopatra (is that right Mike?)
Mike
Right..and recently saw Lang's Short Tailed Blue and Painted Lady.
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 19:16   #121
Mcnswiss2

On the Puffin trail - Part2
Wonderful morning at the Salt works at Ses Salines.The weather was perfect and the area was very quiet.
Birds seen included Flamingos, BW Stilts, Kentish Plovers, Common and Green Sandpipers, Dunlins, Little Stints. Great Egrets, Shellducks galore, Spotted Redshank, Curlews, Kestrels and Marsh Harriers. Water Rail heard. A flock of some 300 Goldern Plovers flew overhead.But the best bird of the day was the Avocet. Some 50 birds looking in wonderful condition.

Now to focus - Cap de Ses Salines.

Balearic Shearwater, cormorant, Shearwater, gull, Shearwater, Auduoins gull, cormorant, gannet ( total of 5 seen), Sandwich tern, Shearwater.etc etc.(Over 250 Shearwaters flew past. Several large floatillas seen in 1.5 hours)
Other birds seen included Blue Rock Thrush on the Lighthouse and several Thekla larks. The big spot......wait for it.....Great Skua!

As for the Puffin..the search is still on..Come back Mike..all forgiven!
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 19:54   #122
J Bennett

Hi Swiss Mike,
I saw the same 250 flock of Balearic shearwaters as I had scared them from their roosting rock of Isla Corberana off Colonia Sant Jordi around 1100. I have a couple of birds I need identifying from today, sorry but I am a novice so please bare with me, photos attached:

No se 3 and No se 4 are the same bird.

I didn´t go far enough off for the Puffin today so no luck with that I´m afraid but there was a large amount of strange deep sea jelly fish coming in on the current through the Cabrera passage as there was last week when the Puffin was sighted, I wonder if there is a connection?
If anyone could recommend a good book for helping me to identify future birds so I don´t have to keep annoying you fellas it would be much appreciated?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	No se (2).JPG
Views:	67
Size:	191.0 KB
ID:	652695  Click image for larger version

Name:	No se 3 (3).JPG
Views:	58
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	652696  Click image for larger version

Name:	No se 3 (4).JPG
Views:	51
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	652697  
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 20:10   #123
Mcnswiss2

Hi John
Thanks for info
Collins Guide is for me the best. Available from Amazon etc.
I also use google images to follow up.
The birds look like Kentish Plovers and Kestrel.
Cheers
Mike
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	551455CF-CABD-4EA0-B89D-F2821CD7EC03.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	652698  
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 20:16   #124
Mike Montier

Agree on everything. Collins far and away the best guide.
Also agree Kentish plovers and Kestrel.
Please don’t worry about putting photos on here, many people enjoy seeing and identifying them..plus, you never know!
Mike
Old Tuesday 30th January 2018, 20:34   #125
J Bennett

Thanks Guys, I have a pocket Collins Gem guide but not big enough obviously.
Advertisement

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: