• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Ptarmigan - Best Mountain? (1 Viewer)

TheSeagull

I'd like to see Ptarmigan so which is the best mountain/hill to walk/climb to see it and the best, smallest and safest for a kid thats only got to the top of Bennachie?

carn ban mor is a steady 2 hour walk, very safe,not to steep and you can see ptarmigan by the side of the footpath

Attachments

• ptarmigan 7.jpg
    ptarmigan 7.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 88
Hi Calvin

If you use the railway to go up Cairngorm, you're not allowed out onto the plateau. You may be lucky enough to see a Ptarmigan through the windows there.

You could try looking from Cairnwell or Lecht carparks.

D

The Cairnwell is quite a short walk from the Glenshee car park, probably not much different to the walk up Bennachie. Better make sure the weather's good though.

I've seen them at Glenshee twice from the roadside, both times in March when they come lower down the slopes.

Cairngorm is no longer easy as you can't just use the ski lift then wander around the plateau as you could in the past. Much more walking is involved to give yourself a chance of seeing them in the Cairngorms, in my experience, and I've seen nothing there on several occasions, despite putting in the effort.

This site is reported to be very good, and at relatively low altitude, though quite a distance from Aberdeen (Belach-na-Bah, on the way to Applecross ) see here:

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/british-birds/17049-ptarmigan-west-coast-scotland.html

Steve

Last edited:
The bouldery western slopes of Carn an Tuirc are very good too.

http://www.multimap.com/s/jyJzSr0C

I don't think I've failed to see Ptarmigan there in 3 or 4 ascents. It's not too much further from the road but the top is at the edge of a large plateau that can be very treacherous in bad weather. So good weather would be essential for this one too.

I've seen Ptarmigan from the cable car stop on Cairngorm on May 30th 2007, and I'm sure I've read that others have, but also that some haven't. We walked up to the plateau from the bottom, and got good views at the summit, but had to shelter from a Blizzard in the cable car station on the way down.

Graham

I've seen them at Glenshee twice from the roadside, both times in March when they come lower down the slopes.

Cairngorm is no longer easy as you can't just use the ski lift then wander around the plateau as you could in the past. Much more walking is involved to give yourself a chance of seeing them in the Cairngorms, in my experience, and I've seen nothing there on several occasions, despite putting in the effort.

This site is reported to be very good, and at relatively low altitude, though quite a distance from Aberdeen (Belach-na-Bah, on the way to Applecross ) see here:

http://www.wildaboutbritain.co.uk/forums/british-birds/17049-ptarmigan-west-coast-scotland.html

Steve

Pass of the Cattle would be the easiest walk-in to see ptarmigan, Calvin. We've been lucky there two times out of three. See 'John's' comments on the link above.

Sandra

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back