• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Glenmore Cafe (1 Viewer)

Seen it on Autumnwatch a few days ago. Cafe with bird feeders. http://www.sledges.co.uk/GlenmoreCafe/tabid/134/Default.aspx

Seemed good on TV, been watching the "webcam" but it only updates every 15 seconds, don't see much :-O Anybody been?

Hi Seagull, visited Glenmore earlier this year while on holiday in that area. Saw crossbills flying around at the centre and also in the Forestry Commision wood next to the centre.
The woods have really good pathways through them, well sign-posted.Loads of birds to see, considering how busy this place is in the summer.We were only in the wood for about 15 mins before we found our first Crested tit.
Well worth a look, also went to Rothiemurchus Estate nearby to see the Badgers and Pine Martens which really impressed my daughter, lucky enough to have a Tawny Owl perch next to the hide as well |
regards, gus

I've camped at the site right next to the cafe several times. Its also right next to Loch Morlich on the Cairngorm ski road.

As a lazy camper I have often breakfasted at the cafe and I can assure you it is red hot for Red Squirrels, five bouncing around outside while you tuck into the full Scottish is not unusual. Bird-wise its always been mostly Chaffinches and Siskins with a leavening of other common woodland birds. I've never seen Crested Tit at the feeders but they are around in the forest so its perfectly possible.

Pine Marten would mean an overnight stakeout. Not unthinkable but hard work I expect. You are quite a bit higher than the Spey valley floor there so it can be ruddy cold: we have had ice on the inside of the tent in May!

If martens are regularly coming to the nuts you have a head start but I would be tempted to lob a few jam/peanut butter sarnies up there as well. Of course you could start a nearby bait site to attract the martens BUT the cafe is right next to a road. to avoid making them cross the road more than they are doing anyway I would suggest the responsible course would be to keep any additional bait on the same side as the cafe.

Alternatively book a night or two at the comfortable centrally heated midge-proof hide run by Speyside Wildlife, Badgers guaranteed, Pine Martens usual but not inevitable, Bank Voles and Wood Mice also present.

John

I've camped at the site right next to the cafe several times. Its also right next to Loch Morlich on the Cairngorm ski road.

As a lazy camper I have often breakfasted at the cafe and I can assure you it is red hot for Red Squirrels, five bouncing around outside while you tuck into the full Scottish is not unusual. Bird-wise its always been mostly Chaffinches and Siskins with a leavening of other common woodland birds. I've never seen Crested Tit at the feeders but they are around in the forest so its perfectly possible.

Pine Marten would mean an overnight stakeout. Not unthinkable but hard work I expect. You are quite a bit higher than the Spey valley floor there so it can be ruddy cold: we have had ice on the inside of the tent in May!

If martens are regularly coming to the nuts you have a head start but I would be tempted to lob a few jam/peanut butter sarnies up there as well. Of course you could start a nearby bait site to attract the martens BUT the cafe is right next to a road. to avoid making them cross the road more than they are doing anyway I would suggest the responsible course would be to keep any additional bait on the same side as the cafe.

Alternatively book a night or two at the comfortable centrally heated midge-proof hide run by Speyside Wildlife, Badgers guaranteed, Pine Martens usual but not inevitable, Bank Voles and Wood Mice also present.

John

I've been thinking about booking a night at the Speyside Wildlife hide, it says photographic opportunities are usually only when you book it exclusively and it's a big price hike at £200, would you say that for photos I would need to book exclusively?
Thanks,

No! These were taken on a normal evening visit in April.

Rob

Attachments

• pmarten01.jpg
    pmarten01.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 102
  • pmarten02.jpg
    pmarten02.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 77
I seem to recall that the time you really don't want to go is when the Pine Martens have young in the nest, as the females don't then come to the hide as a rule and the males are less predictable in their habits. That would probably be July - early August (I think - check if I were you): after that they get more regular again as the females value the guaranteed food.

John

Seen it on Autumnwatch a few days ago. Cafe with bird feeders. http://www.sledges.co.uk/GlenmoreCafe/tabid/134/Default.aspx

Seemed good on TV, been watching the "webcam" but it only updates every 15 seconds, don't see much :-O Anybody been?

Hiya

My friends and i were there that morning (they were filming from 3 pm onwards), this was our second visit and we saw all they did including crested tits, the sparrowhawk also came to visit but missed its prey that time!

regards

Alison

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back