• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Too dark, what can i do. (1 Viewer)

ammadoux

Registered doux
Hello all

took this at around 9 am, the bird was facing the east and i was down towards the south west facing the other side of the bird, tried my best with PSE 7 and here is what i got, i am not happy at all, what do you think i can do.

i have tried to change the shadow and highlights, and use the adjust smart fix the amount is 5, some noise reduction after deselcting the bird.

thanks so much.

Attachments

• SEC20b.jpg
    SEC20b.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 109
  • SEC20c.jpg
    SEC20c.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 135
Hi amma
My only input is that the first image looks better with the shadow (granted there is too much shadow) and the result of image 2 after post editing is disapointing.

I do have a possible fix though.... delete image 2 and leave image 1 as a record shot

lol

Dave

A quick 5 minute exercise gave the result in the attachment. I basically did curves twice, first on everything, and then on the rest after the blue sky had been deselected. No other treatment, could probably benefit from a slight noice reduction. should look better using a larger size starting point.

However, it looks like the head and especially the area around the eye is in more shadow than the rest, so this will never become a great image.

Niels

Edit: a proper use of a layer mask could have improved the transition from bird to background, I did not take my time to do that.

Attachments

• test image.jpg
    test image.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 98
thanks so much Dave and Niels.

i think i will just keep it as a record shot as Dave said, and learn my lesson next time don't even try when the bird is perched on that tree at that time of the day.

Shots from underneath are always difficult to make into a good shot, anyway, as they don't always show the best points of the bird's plumage.

Attachments

• SEC20b-2.jpg
    SEC20b-2.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 99
At the end of the day, most on here said to me, bin the picture and wait till you get a good shot for a keeper, because if you need alot of processing you are going to lose detail and IQ.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back