• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

East Texas USA (1 Viewer)

JB00

Captured this image of a black and white turkey vulture, (I think) with our new game camera. Lots of turkey vultures around here, but I've never seen one with white plumage like this. Could it be an immature turkey vulture? It has white fuzzy down around its head and neck. Thanks!

Attachments

• buzzard.jpg
    buzzard.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 78
  • buzzard1.jpg
    buzzard1.jpg
    233.2 KB · Views: 83
  • buzzard2.jpg
    buzzard2.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 69
  • buzzard3.jpg
    buzzard3.jpg
    182 KB · Views: 43
  • buzzard4.jpg
    buzzard4.jpg
    161 KB · Views: 67
Looks like you've got yourself a Black Vulture ;)

Hi there and a warm welcome to you from those of us on staff here at BirdForum :t:

It's a young Black Vulture with some retained white down feathers. The legs are gray, the newer feathers are all blackish, and the head is black; all are Black Vulture features. The bill appears all dark, which is a character of recently fledged birds.

It's a young Black Vulture with some retained white down feathers. The legs are gray, the newer feathers are all blackish, and the head is black; all are Black Vulture features. The bill appears all dark, which is a character of recently fledged birds.

Ok, Thanks!

The wingtips fall short of the tail tip (where the feathers appear to be of fairly equal length), which I would not expect for a Turkey Vulture. But, I agree that the underwing with its lighter flight feathers does look better for Turkey.

On the other hand, the overall appearance of the upperparts feathers are pretty uniformly blackish, darker than I would expect on eve a young Turkey Vulture. I realize that lighting and exposure factors may make this bird look darker than it is.

I move into the undecided camp right now as I finish sipping my tea this morning.

The wingtips fall short of the tail tip (where the feathers appear to be of fairly equal length), which I would not expect for a Turkey Vulture. But, I agree that the underwing with its lighter flight feathers does look better for Turkey.

On the other hand, the overall appearance of the upperparts feathers are pretty uniformly blackish, darker than I would expect on eve a young Turkey Vulture. I realize that lighting and exposure factors may make this bird look darker than it is.

I move into the undecided camp right now as I finish sipping my tea this morning.

Thank you both for the input. I have the camera in the same place, so I'll be able to get more pics of the activity there. Its nest is there below the camera, so I should be able to get mom and pop there soon. That should give final proof of the type bird this is.

Here's another video taken the next day:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CETSDn13q-c

Here's more video of the vultures. A Turkey Vulture fighting with the two young Black Vultures........
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FpzLYVGmgg8

Here's a Close-Up of one of the Black Vultures:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF83N294oLE

These are all Turkey Vultures (as Matt suggested above). The "Black Vultures" are not fighting with the adult, but are its offspring being fed by the adult. The adult appears to be regurgitating food directly into the mouth of its offspring.

Best,
Jim

That's what I thought when I first saw it, then it looked too violent to be a feeding behavior. Will the young ones get red heads as they get older?

Thanks!
Jim

That's what I thought when I first saw it, then it looked too violent to be a feeding behavior. Will the young ones get red heads as they get older?

Thanks!
Jim

Yes. Young TVs have black heads that turn red as they mature. The young birds will compete to be fed by the parent first, so that may be why it looks a bit violent. A nice capture on film in any event. Not something that is often seen.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back