• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Migrant Raptor ID, SE PA (1 Viewer)

MLoyko

d[-_-]b
Hi all,

It's been a while. I need some help. A friend of mine got this shot while conducting the hawkwatch at Bake Oven Knob here in PA. It was counted as a young Red-tailed hawk but something is saying Red-shoudered to me. It could just be the angle and the sun. But wanted to here some opinions.

Thanks,
Matt

Attachments

• 272066_3490659198858_1608937029_o.jpg
    272066_3490659198858_1608937029_o.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 184
I agree it's a fantastic photo. Having googled images I agree with the ID, and with field experience limited to one escaped adult Red-tailed, I'd be in no position to question it! Just for my own education though, what features ID this as Red-tailed and rule out juv Swainson's for example?

Hi,

I agree on GREAT SHOT, juvenile... but not a Red-tailed for me. Shape of wings excludes it too y eyes. I'm not sure for Broad-winged, but sounds much better guess to me.

Agree on juv. Broad-winged Hawk. Looks like it has 4 fingers. There is a very, very similar picture at plate 241 in Wheeler's "Raptors of Eastern North America." In the Western Edition it is at plate 263. This picture was taken in September.

Bob

Thanks everyone I'll pass on the message. As for the Swainson's hawk being out of range this shot was taken at one of the hawkwatch locations along the kittatinny ridge. Swainson's has been report in counts past as well as mississippi kite, gyr falcon, and rough-legged hawks at either our count (bake oven knob) or hawk mountain. Two years ago one of the watches (waggoner's gap) had a swallow-tailed kite. Anything is possible on the lookout haha.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back