• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Upton Warren (45 Viewers)

The Water Rail caught a fish and then scuttled off into the reeds with it. (see below).
Would this be a normal part of a Rail's diet?

Attachments

• DSC09838.JPG
    DSC09838.JPG
    375.5 KB · Views: 100
The Water Rail caught a fish and then scuttled off into the reeds with it. (see below).
Would this be a normal part of a Rail's diet?

Alan I'm not sure from that pic that it is a fish, looks more like a bit of Reedmace stem to me. But they do catch fish, I've ssen them do it many times, although none of the books i've read mention fish as a food source. Maybe only the UW ones do it!

Rob

On the subject of insects, could anyone identify these two ladybirds that I have seen recently as relative web sights have been least profitable (P.S. please excuse the drawing!).

Chris

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 10.39.16.png
    Screen Shot 2013-08-28 at 10.39.16.png
    91.5 KB · Views: 72
The first illustration might be a type of 2-spot.
The second illustration might be a harlequin.

reference............Insects of Britain and Western Europe, page 279, Michael Chinery.

great field guide, worth buying (16.99)

On the subject of insects, could anyone identify these two ladybirds that I have seen recently as relative web sights have been least profitable (P.S. please excuse the drawing!).

Chris

Upton Warren Update 27/08/2013

Visited yesterday arrived around 7.30 and set up in the Water Rail Hide, camera and sketchbook at the ready!

Started out foggy in the morning but the sun soon broke through and the light was beautiful. Plenty of small birds on the feeding table, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Robin and Dunnock.

As the morning went on around 8.29 two Herons flew across the water along with some Canadian Geese.

8.48 four goldfinch arrive and begin to feed on seeds provided by the plant matter in front of the hide. Got some nice sketches and photographs from them. Shortly after this a Snipe lands near by in the reed bed. It stayed for quite some time wondering around but you could only catch glimpses of it as it leaped into the air!

Then the Kingfisher arrived at 9.03 and landed on the right branch for a couple of seconds only showing it's back to me so unsure if it was male or female. Then it flew onto the branch towards the left and then further back were it was harder to observe. It fished for about two minutes then moved on.

Snipe flew away about 9.20 very quickly so must have been in the same area from about 8.48. Shortly after this the Kingfisher arrived back at 9.33 fishing on the left branch, this time we could clearly see that it was the male with his black beak. At 9.33 exactly the snipe returned through the left channel causing the kingfisher to dart off to the right! Very exciting stuff! I've included the picture to prove it! :)

Shortly after this the maintenance team arrived to clear and cut away over grown plant matter. This will please the photographers and bird watchers trying to get a clear view or photograph! They started work from the far right side and eventually arrived at the water rail hide when we called it a day and headed home. Beautiful place and I will return again soon! I would like to say a thank you to Rob and his team for keeping the reserve to a high standard, it makes it a very pleasant place to visit and observe wildlife.

Cheers,

Matt.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 143
  • Untitled-2.jpg
    Untitled-2.jpg
    768.1 KB · Views: 122
  • Untitled-3.jpg
    Untitled-3.jpg
    638.8 KB · Views: 133
  • Untitled-4.jpg
    Untitled-4.jpg
    567.4 KB · Views: 115
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    681.1 KB · Views: 131
Obliging Willow Tit at the Cuckoo Hide this morning.

Attachments

• IMG_3372(a).jpg
    IMG_3372(a).jpg
    203.9 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_3382(a).jpg
    IMG_3382(a).jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3322(a).jpg
    IMG_3322(a).jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 108
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Ruff----------------LRP(juv)
Green Sand (7)-----Common Sand (3)
Snipe (4)-----------Curlew (15)
Shoveler (5)--------Gadwall (f)
Teal (146)----------Lapwing (68)
Grey Wagtail--------Peregrine
Raven--------------Whitethroat
L Whitethroat-------Willow Tit
Redstart (m) in hedge of transmitter field
B H Gull (c 100)

MOORS:
Spotted Fly (in trees on east side fronting the pool)
Willow Tit (on feeders and considered to be Flashes bird)
Whitethroat---------------Sedge Warbler
Reed Warbler (4)----------Water Rail
Pochard (2)---------------Kestrel
Little Grebe (8)------------G C Grebe (4+2 juvs)
Teal (15)------------------Shoveler (6)
Common Sand (1)----------Greylag Goose (24)
Snipe (2)

Des.

Met this little chap half way down the track from the east hide gate.

About 30+mm long, very sleek and very shiny.
The nearest description and picture of a beetle I can find is that of the Tiger Water Beetle Dytiscus marginalis.
Any ideas?

(P.S. No beetle was injured in the making of the second picture - it climbed over the hide clamp and fell off. Turned over safe and sound ;))

Attachments

• IMG_3465(a).jpg
    IMG_3465(a).jpg
    151 KB · Views: 86
  • Image1(a).jpg
    Image1(a).jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 91
Today's highlights:

FLASHES:
Ruff----------------LRP(juv)
Green Sand (7)-----Common Sand (3)
Snipe (4)-----------Curlew (15)
Shoveler (5)--------Gadwall (f)
Teal (146)----------Lapwing (68)
Grey Wagtail--------Peregrine
Raven--------------Whitethroat
L Whitethroat-------Willow Tit
Redstart (m) in hedge of transmitter field
B H Gull (c 100)

MOORS:
Spotted Fly (in trees on east side fronting the pool)
Willow Tit (on feeders and considered to be Flashes bird)
Whitethroat---------------Sedge Warbler
Reed Warbler (4)----------Water Rail
Pochard (2)---------------Kestrel
Little Grebe (8)------------G C Grebe (4+2 juvs)
Teal (15)------------------Shoveler (6)
Common Sand (1)----------Greylag Goose (24)
Snipe (2)

Des.

Yet another good selection of birds Des - the Teal numbers (161 across the reserve) seem very impressive and yet still no sniff of a Garganey. A couple of Black Terns down the road at Hewell Grange may find their way over the reserve.

Yet another good selection of birds Des - the Teal numbers (161 across the reserve) seem very impressive and yet still no sniff of a Garganey. A couple of Black Terns down the road at Hewell Grange may find their way over the reserve.

Regarding the Teal figures, there was a discussion about whether the current numbers are abnormally high for late August and a quick look at recent annual reports indicate that 60 would be more like a typical figure.

Des.

Regarding the Teal figures, there was a discussion about whether the current numbers are abnormally high for late August and a quick look at recent annual reports indicate that 60 would be more like a typical figure.

Des.

The Birds of Upton Warren opus indicates that the average peak count for the second half of August is in the high 70s (chart attached for PeterE's approval). When I re-write the opus for publication in early 2018 hopefully there will be a bigger pool of stats that will iron out any rogue data.

Attachments

• Teal.jpg
    Teal.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 71
For record purposes -
Flashes 12.54 pm the Canadas landed - on their third approach from the Moors direction - into the transmitter field. Second shot is the whole crew and both shots include the Ross's Goose.

Buzzard had been in dead tree to right of hide for quite some time and was still there when we left.

Moors 15.24 there was one visible snipe in the pool of Pool Island. Three shots of the bird. One shot reminiscent of the John Cleese sketch - I look up to him...
Actually - I look up to him because he's bigger than me.
I don't care - I can run faster than both of them!

Phil

Attachments

• IMG_0327.JPG
    IMG_0327.JPG
    85.7 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0328.JPG
    IMG_0328.JPG
    84.5 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0369.JPG
    IMG_0369.JPG
    111.1 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_0372.JPG