• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Dowles Brook, Wyre Forest (2 Viewers)

Wyre Forest

Today a Dipper was seen along the Dowles Brook near Knowles Mill and on the feeders at Lodge Hill Farm were 2 Nuthatches but no sign of any Marsh Tit or Hawfinch in the vicinity. 1 Two-barred Crossbill was with circa 20 Common Crossbill near Button Oak.
Geoff.

Outside of Dowles and the visitor centre, ive never seen another Birder down there, and ive been recording Moths there weekly during the summer. Throw in the private Woodland and the surrounding area then under watched is certainly the word.

I remember reporting Goshawk from there many bygone moons ago and people coming out with the "are you sure" response. Now they are accepted.:t:

Another species to expect would be Honey Buzzard;)

I remember seeing a couple of Corncrakes about 20 years ago at the end of April/early May, in the Sturt Common area (private woodland)

Have any more Willow Tit reports / photos emerged?

Have seen a few about, not so good for photos due to the light at current but have had some crappy record shots that have just gone to the bin, I don't tend to report any sighting's as it attracts too much attention

Quick walk along the old railway line today from DryMill Lane Car park and surprised to see several Goldcrests in the foliage. Very busy little birds and with the poor light not ideal for capture an image. No sign of the dippers today, although two Buzzards were over head calling.

A shout out for help!

Some of you may remember that about 12 months ago a planning application to create a Travelling Show People site on Heath Lane, Shenstone was submitted and after many objections/much campaigning from residents and local birders/wildlife lovers rejected.

I have found out however that this application has been re-submitted this week.

As you may or may not be aware, Shenstone holds one of the largest and last remaining breeding populations of Corn Bunting in the county and this development could have an adverse effect on said species and other declining arable birds in the area.

So I am rallying around a lot of my local birding contacts and would be grateful if you could lend your support and object to this proposal on the grounds of the potential impact on the areas bird life

The application can be viewed/objected to by clicking on the following web link:

http://www.wyreforest.gov.uk/fastweb/detail.asp?AltRef=14/0017/FULL&ApplicationNumber=14%2F0017%2FFull&AddressPrefix=&Postcode=&CaseOfficer=&ParishName=&AreaTeam=&WardMember=&DateReceivedStart=&DateReceivedEnd=&DateDecidedStart=&DateDecidedEnd=&Locality=&AgentName=&ApplicantName=&ShowDecided=&DecisionLevel=&Sort1=FullAddressPrefix&Sort2=DateReceived+DESC&Submit=Search

Many Thanks
Jason

A shout out for help!

Some of you may remember that about 12 months ago a planning application to create a Travelling Show People site on Heath Lane, Shenstone was submitted and after many objections/much campaigning from residents and local birders/wildlife lovers rejected.

As you may or may not be aware, Shenstone holds one of the largest and last remaining breeding populations of Corn Bunting in the county and this development could have an adverse effect on said species and other declining arable birds in the area.

So I am rallying around a lot of my local birding contacts and would be grateful if you could lend your support and object to this proposal on the grounds of the potential impact on the areas bird life

The application can be viewed/objected to by clicking on the following web link:

http://www.wyreforest.gov.uk/fastweb/detail.asp?AltRef=14/0017/FULL&ApplicationNumber=14%2F0017%2FFull&AddressPrefix=&Postcode=&CaseOfficer=&ParishName=&AreaTeam=&WardMember=&DateReceivedStart=&DateReceivedEnd=&DateDecidedStart=&DateDecidedEnd=&Locality=&AgentName=&ApplicantName=&ShowDecided=&DecisionLevel=&Sort1=FullAddressPrefix&Sort2=DateReceived+DESC&Submit=Search

Many Thanks
Jason

Objected :)

Had a lovely walk around Dowles Brook in the sunshine today! Had super views of a Dipper near Knowles Mill and as soon as it flew off it was replaced by 2 Grey Wagtails! Other highlights of our walk were 2 drumming Woodpeckers, 2 Ravens, Common Buzzard, Nuthatch, Treecreeper and Redpoll.

We then carried on to Seckley Wood and just after leaving the car at Hawkbatch Car Park we were treated to the sound of 50+ Siskin (plus Redpoll) in Alders and Connifers, we had never seen/heard so many together before, think they were enjoying the sunshine just as much as we were!!! We walked to the view point but couldn't see anything of note on the reservoirs at Trimpley.

Attachments

• Dipper 08.03.14.JPG
    Dipper 08.03.14.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 85
Dipper the highlight for me too near the Mill at Dowles Brook this afternoon. Also 4 x Mandarin, Treecreeper, Bullfinch, Goldfinch, Greenfinch, Buzzard & more. Lovely weather and it was a very enjoyable walk :)

A shout out for help!

Many Thanks
Jason

Objection submitted

Dave

Another nice afternoon spent in the Wyre Forest today, saw my first Adders of the year which was fab & also saw a Common Lizard. Also heard my first Chiffchaff of the year and watched a Great Spotted Woodpecker drumming a hole in a tree in preparation for a nest :)

A shout out for help!

Many Thanks
Jason

Objection filed.

I know we are not supposed to mention Goshawks on here, but please could someone pm me or email me (if you have my address), with contact details for those who are monitoring the species?

It is not so I can ask for information, as I wouldn't expect it to be provided to an unknown person!

Thanks

Sean

I know we are not supposed to mention Goshawks on here, but please could someone pm me or email me (if you have my address), with contact details for those who are monitoring the species?

It is not so I can ask for information, as I wouldn't expect it to be provided to an unknown person!

Thanks

Sean

Hi Sean - I report (any) sightings to the Shropshire County Recorder: geoff.holmes.4 'AT' btinternet.com

Thanks

Sean

Drop me a Email @ joeturnerimage 'AT' gmail.com :t:

Cheers. Chaps, I've emailed the recorder but not sure how close he would be to the raptor people. Not always a connection!

Sean

Hi Sean
It is me and Hugh Fletcher that are currently surveying the Goshawk, and indeed any of the scarcer Raptor species that we would happen to find over the course of the year in and around the Wyre. You can text me if you need any help/ have anything to report.

Same goes to anyone else on here. Best to keep it private so PM me, Email me at [email protected] or message me on facebook. (Those of you that have my number also phone calls/texts).

Cheers for any help/ Tips

Craig

Adders & Goshawks

As we know Wyre is a very special place. I am currently involved with the Wyre Forest Study Group and I have been surveying and monitoring Adders. On behalf of the reptile group can I ask that people who know locations to keep it to themselves. I know it's tempting to show friends and family but recently there have been so many people visiting to see them especially on a weekend that the Adders have now left their original sites and are now dispersing into new areas due to constant disturbance. This makes our job harder when it comes to the conservation work. It's not just photographers it's also dog walkers and people not even realising they are there. The other day we had a lady exercising her dog right next to an Adder..... they are declining each year, this is partly due to disturbance and because females take so long to breed. They can have young one year and then it will take up to one or two years until they are in breeding condition once again. Thanks for understanding, cheers everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back