• Welcome to BirdForum, the internet's largest birding community with thousands of members from all over the world. The forums are dedicated to wild birds, birding, binoculars and equipment and all that goes with it.

Please register for an account to take part in the discussions in the forum, post your pictures in the gallery and more.
ZEISS DTI thermal imaging cameras. For more discoveries at night, and during the day.

Panama report. May 7th-May 18th, 2014 (1 Viewer)

ManakusCR

Hi dear fellow birders!
I finally finished my posts about my recent trip to Panama last May, I apologize for the brief descriptions and short texts, if further info is needed please PM so I can provide you more info if needed.

A little about the trip:

My wife and I are costarricans who had dreamed for a while to visit the nice beaches of Bocas del Toro area, but going to Panama and not birding there, it was not going to happen so our trip included beach, relax, birding, experiencing such a cosmopolitan city as Panama city, the canal and just the culture in general. Using A bird finding guide to Panama by G. Angehr, D. Engleman and L. Engleman made a big difference, the birds of Panama by Angehr and Lonely Planet as well as ebird, birdforum and various group members on the facebook group birds of Panama made this trip much easier and much more enjoyable.

The detailed info of our days are described on the following links:

Introduction:

Getting to Bocas del toro Crossing the boarder from CR by ground, getting to David city, then to Almirante and finally Bocas. Swan cay island in search for Red billed tropicbird.

Visiting playa estrella again. It includes Zapatillas islands and coral cay.

We dedicated our last day in Bocas to bird the road between La gruta to Bocas del Drago.

Getting from Bocas to the town of Gamboa, all in one night. Also visiting The summit nature park to see Panama; the harpy eagle.

Finally! pipeline road and summit ponds.

2ND day at Pipeline

Last day at Gamboa, checking the Chagres river

Parque nacional Metropolitano

I hope it helps anyone planing a trip to Panama (I am sure there are other much more complete posts but you never know :brains:. I also thought to post this contact: Guido Berguido http://www.advantagetours.com an excellent birding guide who also Runs Soberania lodge, a nice place to stay during your visit to Pipeline.

Thanks for the post Johan. After a couple of enjoyable trips to CR, a trip to Panama is one that I've been thinking about.

Thanks for the post Johan. After a couple of enjoyable trips to CR, a trip to Panama is one that I've been thinking about.

No problem! Despite it was a short trip and it was not 100% birding the experience was really nice, to me it was a great introduction of the birding quality Panama offers, hopefully one day I can do Azuero for Azuero parakeet and of course El Darien area.:king:

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back